Toast titanium burning quality. . .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3rdeye1111, Jan 3, 2008.

1. 3rdeye1111 macrumors newbie

I recently downloaded Toast Titanium 8 and have burned a few DVD's with this program. Now, I've burnt the Movies on all burning speeds, all quality settings and the end result is pretty much always the same...it looks ****, pixelated mostly, no where near the quality I would expect.

Model: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A

Just wondering if there was anyone with a similar problem and what they did to rectify it. Or if there's another program I could try. Thanks. Corey

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are copying dvd movies? If that is the case it sounds like your compression ratio is to high so you are losing detail. You may want to try a different program for making a dvd movie fit on a standard burnable dvd. If I am offbase on this I am sorry but thats what you sound like you are describing.

3. 3rdeye1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried DVD studio pro with the same results. Very pixelated. Any more ideas?

4. skeley69 macrumors member

3rdeye1111 im with you..

i find burning a single avi file to dvd video the quality is horrible when played on tv and slightly jerky.

can anybody offer any advice, it would be very much appreciated.

also, how can i combine two avi's files into one to burn to dvd video?

many thanks

5. waremaster macrumors 6502

Would these avi files be divx or xvid ecoded by chance? If so there is your problem. In order to get the file sizes to reasonable size they loose allot of detail. For example a 2 hr movie in divx / xvid is about 1.2 - 1.4 gig. When you play that back on a standard or hi def tv the blacks will look pixelated and such.

6. 3rdeye1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's only with the Mac programs I've tried. I've burned many movies that have been encoded as avi or divx that have turned out at DVD quality. I loaded up Nero with Windows Bootcamp and burned a Movie that produced a lot of pixelation on Toast, with Nero and there's a massive difference between the two...(Tried linking a couple of pictures but photobucket is closed for maintenance, and I couldn't be bothered creating an account elsewhere)

All I want to be able to do is burn a video with a Mac program instead of booting into Windows to do it.

7. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

If theyre DVD's you could try "Fast DVD Copy" it gives you 1 free burn, see how that compares. Also you might want to try using dual layered disks, this way the program wont need to compress the quality.

http://www.fastdvdcopy.com/

8. skeley69 macrumors member

waremaster

ive got a 2hr film split into two avi files 700mb each encoded with xvid i think. making the total film size 1.4 GB. i was just wondering in toast how i could combine the two files together to make one avi file to burn to dvd video?

i know visualhub can combine two movie files together but doesnt that require encoding both files over again?

many thanks

9. waremaster macrumors 6502

If you are burning the movie as a data file there can be no difference in quality. If you are converting the video to dvd then depending on the decoding / encoding software you will see a differnce I am sure. Again it is impossible to burn an xvid /divx file to dvd and have it look as good as dvd on a television. On the computer it can look quite good. Logically the video is compressed therefore you loose allot of detail.

10. waremaster macrumors 6502

A quick search turned up this

Toast does not provide an option to do this

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/virtualdub_join_avi.cfm

Of course this is windows based

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

If you have Quicktime Pro, open up the first avi, scrub to the end. Then load up the second avi, select all, copy, then select the first avi and paste. Save as your finished movie.

12. skeley69 macrumors member

thanks for the advice wildpalms

however that leaves you with a .mov file. ive found something even better.
    D-Vision. head to http://www.objectifmac.com/dvision.php

handy lil app that encodes n recodes files and also combines separated avi files, absolutely brilliant!

thanks for all the help