Toast? Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ebutka, May 15, 2008.

1. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I know you can burn dvds with it but what else does it do for $100?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not a whole lot that you can't do just as well with LiquidCD (which is free).

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

One thing that it does is allow you to transfer items recorded on a TiVo to your computer and either export or burn them.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Watch this. It explains the features pretty nicely.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Toast has Blu-ray burning support if you have an internal/external drive.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Toast 8 if you can find it cheaper. I don't see much in ver 9 that's worth the $20 they added to the price.

7. bobwill macrumors newbie

I have Toast 8 Titanium, the only reason I got it was for the Tivo burning features.
    I've also had Easy Media Creator 8 and 9 on one of my Windows machines.
    I have to say, every single program has disappointed.
    Toast 8 has an audio synchronization problem that I don't think was ever fixed, and both versions of Easy Media Creator routinely locked up.
    In the end, I canceled my Tivo subscription and got a DVR from my cable provider.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Toast 9 is a great program. Worth every penny. The feature I like the most is the fact that I can create Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's on regular DVD's. A regular dual-layered DVD can fit about 40 minutes of HD Video. More depending on the compression level you pick.

The interface is also pretty slick and easy to use.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thank you for that tip. :)

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I paid $24.99 for Toast 8 on eBay. I came with the disk in a sealed white dvd envelope with the Code on it. It works for me. Registered just fine and I use it all the time.

11. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

Thank you. That was very helpful. I'm going to hold off for now.

12. macwall macrumors 6502

I can't see paying that much just for burning discs.

13. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

who says u have to pay ;) yar argg and toast 9 has blu ray sopport which is kinda useless until they put them in or u put ur own in and maybe only good for ps3 games if u have big hds and a ps3 thats modded or like bluray movies which most people dont but i guess people mentioned it lol

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I didn't understand one word of this post.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The "arrrg" suggests that you obtain toast 9 the "free" way. I don't recommend that, frankly.

16. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lol i dont think i did either i was just typing some random stuff but i was tryiing to say u dont have to pay for toast arggg hopefully u get the arggg

17. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i do and like seriously maybe if programs lik photoshop and ms office were cheaper i would buy them like espiacally for my brother he needs a $1800 program for school wtf how can he afford that he needs books and a new computer there basically asking it for the program to be stolen

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

maybe your brother could just pay for the software and then just steal a new MBP and some school books.

Nothing is free, and no one is entitled. And before you flame me, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I worked three jobs through my undergrad studies as a biochem major.

19. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Would it be able to erase CD-RWs? That's the only use Toast ever had for me.

20. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Toast 8, if you can get it cheap, is a good app. One nice thing about it is that it plays nice with a lot of other related apps, like EyeTV, for example. One of the things the Toast people have done well is integration. While some of these things could easily be done with freeware like handbrake and MactheRipper, the workflows are all automated and pretty much make things a single click job.

I agree with the earlier poster about the additional cost of Toast 9. I looked it over pretty cerefully, and other than the BluRay and HDDVD capabilities, there wasn't anything (else) significant enough to justify the upgrade or cost, IMHO.

I have some of the freeware apps mentioned above, but I still use Toast to export things to H.264 for my iPod, for example, just for the convenience factor. Toast also allows you to change the configuration so that you can tweak things to your liking and still have the ability of doing a single click to get what you want.

MacDann

21. terryblyth macrumors regular

For converting and burning movie files to watch in an ordinary DVD player, Toast seems to be a whole lot (maybe 2x) quicker than iDVD for me.

22. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

we all work just cant afford it anyway if they knwo its going to get stolen maybe if things arent so expensive i could buy it