TOC in Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xtn, Jun 19, 2008.

1. xtn macrumors regular

so i want to create a table of contents in pages, but its giving me trouble doing it. am i only allowed to create one using a Word Processing template? i'm trying to create my own brochure layouts and would like it to be interactive. using the Word Processor template is extremely frustrating and restricting for creating my own layouts.

what are some of your suggestions?

i also have the CS3 suite, what program might be good to use in there? can i just export my Pages brochure as a certain file to Adobe Acrobat and make it interactive using that? i really am not sure what to do, and i love using pages because its usually very easy and effective.

thanks in advance.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It is possible, sort of. The strange work-around is to copy all of the elements from your brochure and paste them into a blank word processing document. The trick is to make certain before you paste that the insertion point is not showing at the top of the page. You can do this by clicking and dragging somewhere in the document margins. Note that you still won't be able to insert a TOC into a text object, so this is still a pretty limited solution.

I don't like the modal word processing/page layout thing Apple did with Pages 3.0. I guess they made this change to satisfy those who complained that "Pages isn't a word processor."

3. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

what about "hyperlinking" within the brochure? is there any way to do that? i'm leaning towards trying out acrobat, but unsure what format will be best to export to it.

i'm also not quite sure what you were trying to explain to me. i tried what i think you were saying, but with no results....

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What part do you not understand?

I don't know anything about hyperlinking within a document.

5. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

"You can do this by clicking and dragging somewhere in the document margins" - I'm not sure what is suppose to happen. What insertion point do you mean?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you start with a blank word processing document, and click somewhere near the middle of the page, you will get the vertical insertion bar where you can start typing. You want the insertion bar to go away. If you click somewhere near the edge of the page and drag just a little, it will disappear. Now, if you paste the objects you copied from the other document, they will paste as floating objects, instead of objects in line with the text.

7. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried exactly what you said, and the insertion bar does not seem to be disappearing...hmm

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This doesn't work consistently, I know. Here's another way. Insert any object in the page, then select and delete it. Now the insertion bar should be gone.