Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
So I bought a few AirTags back in the day and put one on stuff in case they got stolen. Well my bike got stolen and even though the AirTag was hidden, it was randomly thrown out on the side of the road.

Today I put one in my dog’s harness for the same reason. It’s a long shot that they won’t take the harness off if stolen, but it should be better than nothing. However I left my phone at home and the AirTag kept telling the person I was with that there is an AirTag there despite it not being in lost mode or anything.

So if it’s going to tell the person that has stolen something it is there, what is the point?

I might as well just bin them all and buy a brand that actually works. Why would I need an AirTag if the product hasn’t been stolen?

• Haha
Reactions: addamas and DaPhox

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the AirTag was hidden, it was randomly thrown out on the side of the road.
So you're saying its useless because the airtag was poorly hidden and easily discovered by the theif?

I'd say that the use case of airtags makes it very useful. I have one for tv remote which get lost so easily. My keys - again which are easily misplaced. My daughters are using airtags to ensure they don't leave their passports behind

I don't think Apple markets the airtags as theft recovery aides, but rather finding lost items - your bike was not lost, stolen.

1713350086865.png

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
So I bought a few AirTags back in the day and put one on stuff in case they got stolen. Well my bike got stolen and even though the AirTag was hidden, it was randomly thrown out on the side of the road.

Today I put one in my dog’s harness for the same reason. It’s a long shot that they won’t take the harness off if stolen, but it should be better than nothing. However I left my phone at home and the AirTag kept telling the person I was with that there is an AirTag there despite it not being in lost mode or anything.

So if it’s going to tell the person that has stolen something it is there, what is the point?

I might as well just bin them all and buy a brand that actually works. Why would I need an AirTag if the product hasn’t been stolen?
The AirTags have never been marketed as anti theft.

There are products out there designed for this kind of tracking if that’s what you’re after.

But personally with AirTags specifically on balance I’d prefer stolen property be unrecoverable, than have it easy to be used for stalking.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Apple clear states AirTags are not designed for anti-theft and you found out exactly the reason why..

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
the AirTag kept telling the person I was with that there is an AirTag there despite it not being in lost mode or anything.
Sorry to hear that happened to you; sometimes a product is caught between competing pressures and goes a way contrary to your interests.

Obviously many owners would hope it could be used to locate stolen property in a pinch; I consider stolen a subset of lost, though debating semantics may not be useful.

The problem is there's been a lot of criticism about potential misuse for stalking, which while understandable, seems to ignore a great many things have potential bad uses outside their official ones - knives, guns, cars, pipes, lengths of chain, etc... iPhones are common; if the AirTag notifies any nearby iPhone of its presence, there's a decent chance it'll notify the thief! One would hope people who can afford iPhones wouldn't steal, but sadly such hopes would often be in vain, I fear.

Turns out I'm not the first to wonder what could be done about that...a little quick Googling turned up this: https://www.reddit.com/r/AirTags/comments/n1z5j0
Which raises a fascinating question - if people wanting hidden silent stolen property trackers and the AirTag isn't a good match for that need, what alternative products are?

P.S.: Judging from https://www.reddit.com/r/AirTags/comments/15hfz2u/_/jurjpik this issue isn't one you can likely hack the AirTag to get around, so probably will need an alternative product.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019

Words mean things.

Apple clearly says that AirTags are used to find things that are lost. Lost items are those items that you misplaced.

Items that are stolen are items that are taken from you without consent. Apple does not make the AirTags as a recovery tool for theft. Apple never advertised AirTags for recovery from theft.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
If you compare Airtag to Samsung equivalent, the Airtag is years behind.

They say the opposite in this comparison?

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
It's behaving exactly as designed. It's an item to help you find lost items. It uses the power of the network of iPhones out there. Apple knew from the beginning that it could be used for stalking. So they built-in a few features.

If the iPhone reports the position, nothing happens. If any other iPhone continually reports it's position, without the paired phone doing so, it will alert that phone of it's presence. It's not a one of. It needs to ping the same phone for a period og time. That's how airport workers don't get "AirTag following you" messages all day long.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

I hesitate to get involved in this but....

This topic has been covered ad nauseam, Airtags are meant to help find LOST items, not STOLEN items. This has been clear from the launch of the product.

You should be mad at yourself for purchasing a product that was not meant for your use case. If your place of employment was an hour car ride from your home would you buy a bicycle and then complain that takes you hours to get to work instead of an hour?

Reactions: MisterSavage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.