Today is Memorial Day

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
orlando
i hope you all will remember that today in the United States is Memorial Day… it is a day to pay honor homage to those who have given their lives to keep us free…

those of my generation and your's too owe our freedom to our ancestors who fought (and the young people that fight today) to preserve freedom and to leave a legacy of those freedoms to those who come after us…

those who paid the ultimate sacrifice deserve our thanks and above all respect no matter what our individual attitudes or political leanings or ideology…

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Sharewaredemon said:
Just out of curiosity, what significance is todays date for Memorial day?
The National Holiday Act of 1971 formally set the observance of Memorial Day as the last Monday in May, for the purpose of creating a 3-day weekend. Memorial Day is more properly observed on 30 May, the date designated by the creator of the day (can't recall his name offhand), to honor those who died during the Civil War. After World War I, Memorial Day became a day of rememberance for fallen American soldiers of any war.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I agree, Freedom isnt Free and we should thank all who have served through the years and never ever ask our guys to risk their life for made up wars like Bush's WMDs. Happy Memorial Day to all.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Dont Hurt Me said:
Freedom isnt Free
now i know squat about most US holidays, (thanksgiving is the most confusing - i just ask myself "why?"), but all this thread has given me is that damn song from Team America, stuck in my head.

:rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Sorry about your song, i never saw team America. Memorial day is a thank you to all that have served and died. Many many have sacrificed their lives through the years and they didnt do it for George's patriot act false Police state with no borders.. It was was for real freedom and real liberty something that escapes this President & Senate.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
all i know is it is the first week in a very very long time that i get two days off from work in a row.

and i start summer night class tomorrow

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
Sorry about your song, i never saw team America. Memorial day is a thank you to all that have served and died. Many many have sacrificed their lives through the years and they didnt do it for George's patriot act false Police state with no borders.. It was was for real freedom and real liberty something that escapes this President & Senate.
here we go... I can totally see this thread getting moved to the political forum. :rolleyes:

It's a good day to remember those that have fallen while protecting and serving our country and to focus on the freedom they have fought to protect. So with that... Happy Memorial Day!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
ShovelHead84 said:
i hope you all will remember that today in the United States is Memorial Day… it is a day to pay honor homage to those who have given their lives to keep us free…

those of my generation and your's too owe our freedom to our ancestors who fought (and the young people that fight today) to preserve freedom and to leave a legacy of those freedoms to those who come after us…

those who paid the ultimate sacrifice deserve our thanks and above all respect no matter what our individual attitudes or political leanings or ideology…

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.
Well put. Thank you for saying this.

...and thank you for your dedicated service to our wonderful country!

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
Dude, seriously, don't piss on the flowers......

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
<sigh>

It seems Memorial Day is just a little too poignant these days...and some would probably consider it to bitter.

Funny that most people just remember only that they don't have to work today.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
blackfox said:
Funny that most people just remember only that they don't have to work today.
It's also the first day of "summer," the day the pools open, the day to start wearing white (but only until Labor Day), and if you have time you can think about fallen soldiers.

To echo others, it would be nice to not think about politics for the rest of the day.

And Thanksgiving...why why? The historic purpose of the day is one that we should give thanks for the blessings in our lives. Like every other holiday, is has been bastardized by various commercial industries.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
nbs2 said:
It's also the first day of "summer," the day the pools open, the day to start wearing white (but only until Labor Day), and if you have time you can think about fallen soldiers.

To echo others, it would be nice to not think about politics for the rest of the day.

And Thanksgiving...why why? The historic purpose of the day is one that we should give thanks for the blessings in our lives. Like every other holiday, is has been bastardized by various commercial industries.
Whats the deal with the no white clothes after Labor Day?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
SamIchi said:
Whats the deal with the no white clothes after Labor Day?
I don't know. I just remember watching some TV show or movie or something from the 80s/90s and people would talk about the poor girl who was obviously uncultured because she wore white after Labor Day. I think I remember Hilary Banks making the comment to some of her friends (that was good TV...) :)

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, citing to the Ask Yahoo feature of Yahoo, "An old, and now largely ignored, custom prohibits the wearing of white after Labor Day. The explanations for this tradition range from the idea that white clothes are worse protection against cold weather and easily soiled in damp weather than colored clothes to the intention of the rule as a status symbol for new members of the middle class in the late 19th century and early 20th century."

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
nbs2 said:
I don't know. I just remember watching some TV show or movie or something from the 80s/90s and people would talk about the poor girl who was obviously uncultured because she wore white after Labor Day. I think I remember Hilary Banks making the comment to some of her friends (that was good TV...) :)

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, citing to the Ask Yahoo feature of Yahoo, "An old, and now largely ignored, custom prohibits the wearing of white after Labor Day. The explanations for this tradition range from the idea that white clothes are worse protection against cold weather and easily soiled in damp weather than colored clothes to the intention of the rule as a status symbol for new members of the middle class in the late 19th century and early 20th century."
Thanks, I thought it actually had some kind of meaning. Makes me want to wear white after LD. :D

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
nbs2 said:
Admit it... you saw it when you saw the chick flick "Never Been Kissed." That's the only movie/show where I've ever heard it.... :D

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
floriflee said:
Admit it... you saw it when you saw the chick flick "Never Been Kissed." That's the only movie/show where I've ever heard it.... :D
I saw it on a commercial. I think it was a credit card commercial. Visa or Mastercard.