Today is Sept 20, why there is no macOS Sierra upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Sep 20, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

It is 9:16 am on September 20, I went to the app store but there is no macOS Sierra update yet. How come?

As far as I recall, in the past when Apple released a major OS update, they released new MacBook Pro at the same time with the new OS. So, under Tim, things have changed?

2. awair, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

awair macrumors regular

I'm on a different time zone, at the end of the day, and still no 'Sierra': but I'd like to think of that as a good thing. I know that I should wait a few hours days before installing,
    - remember iOS 10...

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple will release the update at 10AM PDT, which is the same time that they have released every major operating system upgrade for the past years. This includes the Steve Jobs era.
    Apple has never released a new MacBook Pro at the same time as the new OS X/macOS. You're misremembering.

4. awair macrumors regular

Thanks #chrfr,

That's a definite advantage for me, it will be tomorrow morning before I get a chance to look at it, along with the news of any 'issues', or hopefully lack of... (I think Apple had already fixed the iOS 10 problem before I'd heard the update was available.)

Anyway, it's much easier to recover a Mac than an iDevice.

Don't forget, two backups on independent devices, and an HDD clone...
    ... and test first on someone else's machine.

Good luck.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not to sound coy, but because Apple has decided not to release it yet. They have an internal schedule, and reasons.
    They released a second Gm,so maybe they're letting the developers shake out the GM to be sure nothing pops out.

6. stellaclose macrumors member

Sierra is available now. Just search Sierra in the app store. Not showing on the App Store front page yet.

7. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

Patience is a virtue that should be practiced more.

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Thank you!

9. stellaclose macrumors member

10. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

You can simply download it directly from the app store (first tab: app list), you don't need to wait till it appears in your update screen. It was there from the first second.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Stupidness isn't :) (Just kidding)

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I got a warning from Mathworks asking users not to upgrade to macOS Sierra due to compatibility issues with Matlab.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you better hold off.

Perhaps there's a bug either in OS X or their app that is causing issues

13. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. They said that it is Mac OS's problem.

14. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The problem with the app may well be because of the update, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for Apple to push an update so MatLab works. MatLab might consider asking their coders to do what they do, figure out how to get their app working with the OS and release a patch.

15. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Here is the email:

You are receiving this email because you may be using MATLAB on the Apple Mac platform.

The new version of macOS 10.12 “Sierra”, released today, introduces changes that impact many non-United States regions and locales. These changes are not currently compatible with any version of MATLAB. We recommend that you learn more on mathworks.com and do not upgrade to macOS 10.12 at this time if you are impacted.

Please contact MathWorks Support with any questions.

MathWorks Customer Service Team
    mathworks.com/contact

16. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I just want to make it clear I have no plans to update at this time. But I just checked, and there's still no update for my 2014 and 2011 Mac Mini's.

17. chrfr macrumors 603

Do you mean that Sierra isn't showing in the updates section of the App Store? If so, that's normal. You need to "purchase" Sierra by downloading it from the main part of the App Store, which is the same way Apple has distributed every version of the operating system since 10.7. Currently, Sierra is the top item in the Featured section of the App Store.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but does it matter if its the App or the OS?

If its the OS, Matlab will either have to figure out a way around the issue, or wait (and hope) till Apple fixes the bug. If its the Apps' issue, then you have to wait until Matlab updates its app to resolve the bug. End result, waiting until Matlab works on Sierra.

I work in IT, and deal with some large organizations, and almost on a daily occurance, one party always blames the other. The application team will blame the database, the database team will blame the network folks, the network folks blame the SAN team. So hearing that Matlab is blaming apple is nothing new, either way I think they need to fix their software.

19. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Thanks. I didn't know that. Every other OS update showed up in the update tab in the past

20. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

According to the pages you linked, Matlab is now compatible with OS Sierra globally. It seems it was a character mapping issue in some countries (not in the US) and there has been a patch released to resolve the issue.

The Matlab developer appears to have gotten off their backsides and tested the app with the new OS, then made the changes needed and released a patch for the app to support the changes in the new OS.

As @maflynn can probably attest, this is pretty darn quick for apps of this caliber to have patches out this quick. I also work in IT supporting a large corporation. One of their primary security tools delayed availability of El Capitan in the environment for 6+ months. The developer should be ASHAMED (no, I won't say what app it was) that it took as long as it did with such a large corporation pushing them to get the update out.

21. chrfr macrumors 603

Developers like this deserve to be publicly named and shamed. A 6 month delay on an operating system that's revised annually is unacceptable. What happens if the company needs to buy a new Mac in that time window and the Mac can't run the previous OS?

22. flashy-cat macrumors regular

flashy-cat

Not sure your current bowel status is relevant here?