Today is the Day! But I need help....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nyy8, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

So today Im going out to buy a iMac (21.5, Base model). I cant wait any longer, My crappy dells HD is given out and I dont feel like putting anymore money into this. But, besides that I have a bigger problem. iTunes. Here is my gameplan, since I dont own a mac. Im not sure this would work, but here it is.

-Setup mac, etc.
    -Open iTunes, log into the family's 3 different apple IDs and authorize the accounts.
    -Start to download music from iTunes, whatever is not on itunes I will use home sharing to down from the Windows Laptop
    -Grab all my apps from the iTunes store.
    (would like peoples opinions if this will work or not.)

So, If I do it all right I will have all my apps and music. Ect...

Now I have an iP4 and iPad 2. How can I sych them to THIS MAC, where iTunes will not erase all my stuff and app data. They are right now synched to a windows Laptop we have upstairs. I have an 8GB flash drive and can move any itunes files from the windows computer to the mac, If need be.

Thanks for all your help guys,
    Jake

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I think copying the .itl (iTunes library) file from your Dell onto the iMac should trick your devices into thinking they've already been synced onto your new computer, but I'd be happy if someone else was able to prove me wrong/right :)

Otherwise, if when you sync your apps for the first time, just make sure the layout (in iTunes) is the same as what's on the device. Then your app data will still be intact and (going forward) syncing your devices will be flawless.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Thank you purchasing today. This ensures the new model will come out tomorrow. :D

Your first few steps should be fine. I don't have any advice to offer on your syncing though.

4. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

wouldn't that be something

5. Fynd macrumors 6502

I'd honestly just wait one more day. It's fine if you can't wait much longer, but it's entirely possible that they update tomorrow.

6. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

7. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

if we don't see it by the 16th, then it will be mid June after WWDC

8. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

9. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Thanks Guys Im sitting on my new iMac and will try the .tlt trick in a sec!

10. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Really no offense, but man... how could you buy one with the newer one looming? Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine and the new one will be 8% faster...who cares, but USB 3 will be nice, if they include it.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you can run to it, and wait just a little longer it will pay dividends in the end...The 27" is a gorgeous piece of kit...Mine is the 3.4 I7 which I upgraded to 16GB of RAM, and custom build 2GB graphics....But although it's less than a year old, the new ones are just around the corner. Try to coax your old Dell along for just a little longer.

Attached Files: