Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Hey I'm assuming that we will see Tiger today since Panther was released on a Wednesday. It's about time.

If not today I bet they'll announce it at the NAB. ;)

Mac User, "Here kitty kitty."

Windows User, "I thought we were supposed to run away from Tigers."

Linux User, "What's going on? Linux was a Penguin before Mac OS was a cat or Windows was a cow. Animals."

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
GodBless said:
Hey I'm assuming that we will see Tiger today since Panther was released on a Wednesday. It's about time.

If not today I bet they'll announce it at the NAB. ;)

Mac User, "Here kitty kitty."

Windows User, "I thought we were supposed to run away from Tigers."

Linux User, "What's going on? Linux was a Penguin before Mac OS was a cat or Windows was a cow. Animals."

don't worry i will be on refresh duty on apple.com again today as well

please release tiger apple TODAY

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
LOL

I was just thinking last night on an errand how maybe Apple is doing this to discourage people from rumouring...I was also thinking it's a little bit more fun having no idea when they will actually announce it. ;)

Etiher way, I've started to back up all my program installers, docs and done a bootable backup on my machines.

Ready for a clean wipe and install. :D

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I'm loving the daily 'Tiger to be unleashed today' threads! We're desperate dang it! :p

I'm beginning to think it's more likely to happen next week though...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
They could pull a Microsoft on us and release it in three years with the only major change being a minor security fix... ;)

I still reckon it's a few weeks of yet but hopefully I'm wrong. :p

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
I'm not. :mad:

They're getting spam-like in their intensity and lack of relevance.

Hey, I just posted this thread because it has a pretty good possibility of being announced today. Not because I am guessing about a release date. Educated guesses are good though aren't they?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
GodBless said:
Hey, I just posted this thread because it has a pretty good possibility of being announced today. Not because I am guessing about a release date. Educated guesses are good though aren't they?
cool your jets , it was just a passing comment - true though

with the likes of me posting new threads regarding Tiger 10.4 and this thread i can see why no news is making the tiger threads abit dry

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
You can all relax. Lately I've been getting the urge to buy a new iBook but I've been able to resist. One of these days, I'll do it and when I do, you can count on Tiger being released the next day - so I'll have to cough up the $$ for the retail box.

Now if you want Tiger sooner, you can all send money to my PayPal account. The quicker I get that new iBook, the sooner..........

Margaret

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Tiger will most likely be released on May 2nd. That means an announcement could happen around the 15th of April.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
jeeze u guys are looking way into this, as much as i can't wait for tiger, i know it will come eventually, so stop worrying about it, haha but this IS a RUMORS site so............ go nuts! TIGER TODAY!!!!

fedora

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
how many product updates do you guys think apple will need to make before tiger ships?

I think they will need to make all machines core image/video compatible so mac mini's and ibooks will need new GPU's. If ibooks get 64 meg cards all the powerbooks will need 128 VRAM so the machines are not to similar. So I think quite alot will happen in the next few weeks.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
fedora said:
how many product updates do you guys think apple will need to make before tiger ships?

I think they will need to make all machines core image/video compatible so mac mini's and ibooks will need new GPU's. If ibooks get 64 meg cards all the powerbooks will need 128 VRAM so the machines are not to similar. So I think quite alot will happen in the next few weeks.
they could ship now if they wanted ! 64mb VRam on iBook's would be nice but the more i think about it the less i think it will happen - they will get a modded 32mb (like the Mac Mini ) so it an finaly do apple displays 20" and 23"

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
fedora said:

This has been said before, a couple of thousand times.. Core image specs have changed some time ago and now only require a G4 for acceleration. It will automatically optimize and distribute tasks to the GPU or altivec using a JIT compiler.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
cc bcc said:
This has been said before, a couple of thousand times.. Core image specs have changed some time ago and now only require a G4 for acceleration. It will automatically optimize and distribute tasks to the GPU or altivec using a JIT compiler.
That's good, but won the amount of work the GPU can do depend on the GPU a person has in their machine as well as the amount of VRAM?

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Bear said:
That's good, but won the amount of work the GPU can do depend on the GPU a person has in their machine as well as the amount of VRAM?

Yes, and if it's not enough the work will be distributed to the altivec unit. Framerates may be lower, but it will still work.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Blue Velvet said:
I'm not. :mad:

They're getting spam-like in their intensity and lack of relevance.
I agree. Almost as bad as the G5 PB threads, ... almost.

Obviously, it isn't today.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Go read Thinksecret , they say that tiger will be released sometime later this month, deffinetly before the end of the month. So my guess is no tiger today or next week....my guess is at NAB.

economist

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2005
DC
Speculation: April 13th

Hi all,

I have been a reader of Macrumors for very long and decided to become a member today... :rolleyes:

With Apple set to announce earnings next week, it is highly likely that they would announce tiger during the earnings call or shortly thereafter. Analysts have been expecting apple to do very well in terms of earnings and after repeated price target settings Apple is trading at discounted prices. To get the maximum stock boost , Jobs and Co. may not want to dilute the earnings announcement by rolling out tiger too early.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
you know whats crazy though.. its the rumors sites like this one that promote and encourage apple/mac products.. wouldn't apple want that? :confused:

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
economist said:
Hi all,

I have been a reader of Macrumors for very long and decided to become a member today... :rolleyes:

With Apple set to announce earnings next week, it is highly likely that they would announce tiger during the earnings call or shortly thereafter. Analysts have been expecting apple to do very well in terms of earnings and after repeated price target settings Apple is trading at discounted prices. To get the maximum stock boost , Jobs and Co. may not want to dilute the earnings announcement by rolling out tiger too early.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

Welcome to macrumors!!!
Yeah i think that would make a lot of sense. So i would guess around this time...NAB

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Hmmm. Let me get in on this... I say... Oh... May 7th. My birthday.

"Happy birthday Mr. Durden, Here is Tiger."

"Well thank you, Steve." :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.