Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the 45th anniversary of Apple, co-founded by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne on April 1, 1976. Wayne sold his 10% share of the company back to Jobs and Wozniak just 12 days later to avoid financial risk, which is unfortunate in hindsight given that his stake would be worth more than $200 billion today.

jobs-wozniak-1976.jpeg

Apple's history began in the garage of Jobs' childhood home in Los Altos, California, where he worked with Wozniak to test the first Apple I computer systems in 1975. Jobs then reached a sales agreement with a small computer store named the Byte Shop in nearby Mountain View, California, which began selling the Apple I in July 1976 for $666.66. Wozniak later said he chose that price because he liked repeating digits.

From near-bankruptcy in the late 1990s to becoming the world's most valuable public company by the 2010s, Apple has been through a series of highs and lows over the past four and a half decades. The company has introduced several iconic products over that time, most notably including the Macintosh in 1984, the iPod in 2001, and the iPhone in 2007, with Jobs becoming well known for his charismatic keynote presentations.

Apple CEO Tim Cook reflected on the company's 45th anniversary today on Twitter, sharing a quote from Jobs and thanking employees.

Apple recently capped off its most financially successful year ever with a record $111 billion revenue in the fourth quarter of 2020. The company is now valued at over $2 trillion, and its future is expected to include greater pushes into areas like AR/VR and artificial intelligence as technology continues to evolve beyond screens.

Article Link: Today Marks the 45th Anniversary of Apple's Founding

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I doubt it, there would be NO Apple without him.

It was the combination of the two, with very little Overlap, that made Apple the early success that it was.
Woz was the engineer with all the great ideas; Jobs was the filter so the best ideas would get made and the guy who sold them.

Woz was too nice to say no and do what must be done, Jobs told it like it is.

Really, it's hard to think of a more perfect pair of personalities to found a successful company. It's too bad Woz didn't stick around long term. His airplane accident probably had a lot to do with it.

philrock

Contributor
Jul 5, 2015
Oxnard, CA
I doubt it, there would be NO Apple without him.

It was the combination of the two, with very little Overlap, that made Apple the early success that it was.
Jobs was pretty clear that he didn't want Woz around in the later years. The times he was brought in for promotional events he was handled pretty tightly and not given an opportunity to speak freely.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Anytime you kick yourself for not buying AAPL sooner, you can always console yourself with "well, at least I'm not Ron Wayne."
According to Wikipedia....

In the early 1990s, Wayne sold the original Apple partnership contract paper, signed in 1976 by Jobs, Wozniak, and himself, for US$500. In 2011, the contract was sold at auction for $1.6 million.[16] Wayne has stated that he regrets that sale.[5][6][17]

His wiki page is an interesting read. He cofounded Apple and came out with less than $3,000. He literally had several bites at the Apple and blew every single opportunity he had. Now I don’t feel bad for forgetting my BTC keys.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Those were the days. The Mac experience used to be exciting, now it is just an endless hazzle with annoying bugs, political correctness and bloat.
Theres no excitement about apple products anymore - only failures and hassle - and still there’s no competition - its todays crazy reverted world!

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
According to Wikipedia....

In the early 1990s, Wayne sold the original Apple partnership contract paper, signed in 1976 by Jobs, Wozniak, and himself, for US$500. In 2011, the contract was sold at auction for $1.6 million.[16] Wayne has stated that he regrets that sale.[5][6][17]

His wiki page is an interesting read. He cofounded Apple and came out with less than $3,000. He literally had several bites at the Apple and blew every single opportunity he had. Now I don’t feel bad for forgetting my BTC keys.
I really enjoyed his book, he explains what was going on back in those days.

Reactions: philrock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.