Today's event left me with one certainty

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bounou, Sep 9, 2015.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

The PERFECT computer would be the new MacBook where the screen when detached becomes an iPad Pro... this would hands down be the perfect computer.

Not sure Apple would ever willingly design this but in a few years they probably could, it's pretty clear we are at best a few generations away from the A series being powerful enough to run OS X. I mean the A8X last year was about the same performance as a 2011 MacBook Air right? and the A9X is 80% more powerful then that? How long until the MacBook stop using intel chips? Would be way better battery life for sure.

Feels like something google might do but an android/chrome OS convertible tablet/laptop is a lot less compelling to me then a iOS/OS X hybrid.

Will be fun to see what direction they take it to.

2. Cooee! macrumors member

Cooee!

Windows 8 devices have done this but not so successful. iPad Pro and the New Macbook are Apple's vision of the future notebook. They might overlap sometime, but for now you have to chose between the two depending on your which device suits you better.

3. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

this event had too much stuff going on. I honestly feel like the iPad is a after thought at this point. its the new iPod.

They focused on Apple TV that looked cool but not at 150-200. You can prob get a used xbox 1 with kinect that does all that stuff better and plays actual games for 200-250.

the iPad line up was very eh.... and last years was same kind of BS. Hey lets not do anything to the current mini but we will add the finger print sensor to next years version. Now this year lets not do anything to the iPad air....

next years Air 3 better have a FREE PENCIL !!

4. aluren macrumors 65816

I would pay $3k for exactly what the OP proposed.

5. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

The problem with the surface is that it has no tablet ecosystem really, no one makes the kind of apps for them that you would want to have for a tablet.

6. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Well, that is what I had hoped the iPad Pro would be. What it turned out to actually be is pretty much the least innovative scenario I could think of: a bigger iPad.

I can appreciate that difficulty to pull of hybrid devices well. Microsoft has been trying for years now and while they get closer, the SP3 still didn't hit the mark. Perhaps the SP4 (later this year?) will. Hardware and OS are only part of it, though. As mentioned above, it's of no use if you can use just any Windows program, but very few of them are optimized for touchscreens and mobile devices. Once used to iOS apps, it's hard to be satisfied with less (in terms of usability and accessibility).

Apple probably has the same problem with OSX that MS has with Windows, except that MS has been making it more touch-friendly for a while now, while Apple sidestepped the issue with iOS. Now where the demand for hybrid devices increases, they don't really have much to offer.

Or, perhaps, they do want people to have two (or three: the phone) devices. I'd be okay with that, if they offered a 17" MBP again. I would love to jump to OSX, because Windows 10, and the direction MS is going, clash with what I would like, but dipping below 17" is challenging for me. I actually don't know what to do computing-wise.