Today's iMac or Yesterday's iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pammyspyce, Apr 28, 2008.

1. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Should I get the newly released 2.8 24" iMac for $1800 or "yesterday's" 2.8 24" iMac for $1600 that's in the refurb shop? Is the chip that different? The refurb has a 500 GB hard-drive and 2 GB RAM.

I use my iMac to go on-line mostly and to store my photos and music. I have a Rev A iMac G5 right now.

TIA

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why get a new one at all if you just do music and photos and online?

but out of the 2, id get the newer one.

faster chip and faster ram and a better vc is worth 200 to me

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

go with the refurb and take the 200 bucks and upgrade the ram on your own.
    then you will have a great machine.

4. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

You're not going to be needing the faster processor or higher bus speeds of the new ones.

Go for the "older" model. Save yourself the money. You'll never notice the difference.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If I was in your position, I would get the refurb.

6. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I would get the newer one. Better on the resale value.

7. dagwell macrumors newbie

Chances are, the old one would cost you $1600 plus something like $100 for tax. (It depends on where you live.)

Instead, you could buy the new model for $1694 after a $100 rebate from MacMall. In this case, you probably wouldn't need to pay tax.

In the end, it might cost the same amount for either machine. Amazon often has rebates on iMacs, but the machines released today don't yet have a rebate.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The older 2.8 is a core 2 extreme, the new one is only a core 2 duo. Get the older one.

9. IrishDomer08 macrumors newbie

I had the same decision to make as you, but with the 24" model.

I went with the refurb. I think I'll put that saved money to better use. I probably wouldn't have even noticed a difference with the new one. The 'old' ones are still great machines. I can't wait to get it!

10. oawong macrumors newbie

I have the same question exept I'm trying to decide between the new base imac (about $1150 from Amazon after rebates) or the older 20" 2.4 imac that can be gotton at amazon for $1219 (after rebates). I'll be mainly using it for home video editing and photo editing.....

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Same here. The previous $1499 model is marked down to essentially the same price as the new $1199 model, except with the older model you get the (slightly) better video card and a larger hard drive. It's hard to justify buying the new one, as long as the old models are offered for this price.

12. oawong macrumors newbie

Actually, I have the new one as being cheaper but as you said the older version has a slightly better video card and larger hard drive.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, the new entry-level model is still slightly cheaper ($20). I can't think of a good reason to buy the new one... with the possible exception that the price includes a $75 rebate, which (I think) is an Amazon.com store credit.

14. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Get the new one as the processor specs and RAM speeds are better than the prior version.

15. Warstrong macrumors newbie

If you waited couldn't you get today's imac in the refurb. bin?

16. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

It might take a while before the new iMacs are in the refurb store.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would get the newer imac since it has faster frontside bus (big improvement) + faster RAM (big improvement as well) and for $200 more its a good deal... + its brand new as well. If you were saving something like $500-$600 then I'd get the refurb but not for $200 which this machine will last you years might as well get the much faster one now.

18. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I have the 'older' iMac, since last October. I have the 2.8 Extreme, 24" imac. It is a great computer and works great on all my graphic design programs.

Still a great machine!

19. BilboBaggins macrumors newbie

So which is the better deal? the previous $1500 model (Now $1100 refurbished) or todays new base model ($1150 w/ ED discount). I plan on using it for itunes, iphoto, web browsing, watching HD videos, Sims 2. So for about the same price, previous 1500 model w/ 256 vram and 320gb HD; Or the new base model with faster FSB & ram, but smaller HD and 128 vram?

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd say the best deal is the previous $1499 model for $1220 new from Amazon. I pulled the trigger on that deal today.

21. oawong macrumors newbie

Actually, I'm really not sure if the Amazon deal is a better deal but at least you are comparing new to new. If you take the Ed discount and add the cost of a 320 gb HD it comes out to about $1200 plus tax so you'll probably a little more for the newer set up than getting the previous set up from from Amazon. You'll probalby get a little more speed with the newer set up but you get a slightly better graphics card with the previous $1499 model. I'm thinking the new model might be better.

22. javierbds macrumors regular

I would say, keep the G5 ...

But if you feel a need for a new one then, buy the new model. I *bet* this will be the first time that the iMac 24 is really faster than a Macbook Pro.

23. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I got the top spec one :D its really cool. I had a 17" G5 before!

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not everybody gets the education discount. Also, we don't know the real-world performance advantages of the new processors, but I'm betting it will be marginal -- at least not worth the extra money to me.

25. oawong macrumors newbie

For me, I get a government discount which is a little better than the education discount on the new base model so the price including taxes for the new model (with a 320 gb hard drive) is equal to the $1219 I'd get from Amazon on the older $1499 model with the added benifit of being able to get it right away at the local Apple Store. My only question is whether or not the local Apple Store can upgrade the hard drive for the $47 shown on the on-line store.