Today's MBP or tomorrow's iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dmaxdmax, Jun 12, 2007.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a MBP but really wish I knew what the new iMacs would offer. New industrial design would be cool but not enough to trump portability. I could live with a desktop (only kind of computer I've had for 20 years) but having borrowed a friend's MB for the last month has made me fall in love with wireless. Obviously an iMac gives you screen size and HD space but I can overcome those w/an external monitor and FW drives.

The real question is, will a new iMac offer performance that's above and beyond the MBPs? I'm not talking about modest clock-speed differences but major things like a different chip-set, internal Blu-Ray or espresso machine etc.

Thanks.
    d

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Nobody knows until Leopard comes out and we've all installed Time Machine and can jump ahead in time and figure out the future.

Just get your laptop.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It would most likely be the same specs: 2.2, 2.4 CPUs. 2GB RAM (or 1) up to 4GB. 250, or 500GB HDD standard. Won't be better specs. If you want portable: MBP. If you want desktop: iMac.

4. mikehokie macrumors regular

People are saying as early as next Tuesday a new iMac could come out. New industrial design, more RAM space, SR processors, ect. I can gurantee however that there will not be Blu-Ray/HD DVD on the iMac until it is introduced on the Mac Pro. Seeing as WWDC just passed I would probably not be far off to say that Blu-Ray will be in 2008. Blu Ray and HD DVD laptops/desktops are not exactly selling head over heels for a couple reasons. HD camcorders although coming down in price still cost over 1,000 dollars. Blu-Ray and HD DVD players still cost well over $300 (seen a Toshiba for $300 HD DVD all other over $400). And HD DVD/Blu Ray drives cost well over $400 to put on your computer with optical discs costing $25 a PIECE! An average DVD costs under $.50 and a CD costs about $.03. So I would see Blu-Ray FIRST on the pro version and then migrating to the consumer, possibly as early as winter of this year.

5. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I'm just a little cautious since I have one of the first iMacs w/superdrive and, IIRC, it was years before the iMac could access an external one. I already have an HD camcorder and will be *really* bummed if I can't burn in HD.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I feel ya man, im in the same boat. I can get a 2.2ghz mbp and a 20" Dell Ultrasharp or I can get a refurb macbook and a 20' iMac whenever they come out for around the same price. What to do? I love the portablility of a laptop, and I love having all my files in one place. On the other hand, it's nice to have a desktop as well in case the laptop breaks down (which has happened to each one of my :apple: laptops) and I have my gf living with me right now who needs to use a computer, as do my parents so having a desktop makes sense that way.

Buying a mac can be a stressful time :eek: At least we don't have to wonder about the next mbp refresh since it just happened ;)

7. jklps macrumors regular

Those standard specs on an iMac are exactly why I'm waiting...especially the up to 4GB of ram and 500gb HD standard. That way I could just pick my new iMac up in store.

Come on :apple: :mad:

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

To see what "new" iMacs have to offer, simply visit http://store.apple.com

All featured iMacs in the store are new. As there are no other suppliers for iMacs, current Macintoshs are by definition "new".

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

...not
    \/

Attached Files: