ToDo App for iPad, iPhone and MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EricBrian, Mar 3, 2011.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I am looking for a ToDo App that syncs between iPad, iPhone and MBP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I use ToDo by Appigo
    http://www.appigo.com/

It's a robust todo app that syncs with iCal. I think it would sync with multiple devices that sync to the sane computer. It also has an online service that probably allows syncing to multiple devices.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iProcrastinate currently syncs with iPhone and Mac, with an iPad version coming this spring. It's in the Mac App Store and iTunes App Store, and it's free!

http://www.iprocrastinateapp.com/mac/

4. atr macrumors regular

Check out OmniFocus at OmniGroup.com. Works great and sync flawlessly across Mac-iPad-iPhone.

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I would second the suggestion of omnifocus, I use it and it is great.
    Takes a little time to figure out, but I think it is worth the time investment.
    However the cost investment of having it on all three platforms is considerable
    In the UK it is

Mac £44.99
    iPad £23.99
    iPhone £11.99

Quite a lot!

6. TreoRenegade, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

TreoRenegade macrumors regular

Let's face it: OmniFocus induces sticker shock, and for that reason, I tried various other tentative solutions. Ultimately, I found myself embracing OmniFocus-- it's the only one with consistently flawless, transparent/automatic syncing among all the platforms mentioned by the OP. Competing apps were surely cheaper, but between their outright data loss per syncing and extreme aggravation, OmniFocus transformed, in my eyes, into the best bargain in town.

It also optionally syncs dated ToDo's to iCal, (with contexts of ToDo's flowing into the respective cals I dictate via OF's Prefs screen) and hence BusyCal ( >>> Google Calendars). It includes a no-fuss email-to-OmniFocus mechanism. I can make it as simple as desired for quick entries, yet indulge its inherent power during planning sessions. The built-in Review session is fantastic. Hence, now that I've really been using it for several months, it's like DevonThink Pro Office-- continued use brings increased appreciation for the inherent brilliance of these two apps.

I was able to dramatically kill the OmniFocus learning curve, courtesy of Google. Found a 7-day free trial to Lynda.com, which has a series of OmniFocus Essentials video tutorials. Google: lynda.com 7-day free trial
    --

Edit: having said that, a new alternative will soon appear: Midnight Inbox version 2. The iPad version was recently released, with the Mac & iPhone counterparts due in the near future. http://www.midnightbeep.com/

7. SkarrStrom macrumors newbie

I was in the same situation you were in just a few weeks ago. I bought 2do, Appigo todo, dejumble, awesome note (although, in fairness, it is awesome for note taking), Pocket Informant and then Things. From the list I recommend getting 2do, PI or Things. Lately, I've been using Things because it's so simple and intuitive and together with the mac version is an absolute joy to use. I don't see myself switching anytime soon unless 2do creates a desktop version (but they've said they don't have any plans too atm).

Now, PI does have some problems syncing with iCal (I think you need to go through google calendar first?) the sync helper should be out soon though they've been working on it for quite a while now iirc, but if you're looking for a calendar/task app nothing beats it.

I personally do not like iCal because it feels clunky (and like the ios version) requires way too many steps to get something simple done, but to each his own!

8. muttonhead411 macrumors member

9. saschke macrumors 6502

I'll suggest "2Do", after using it with my iPhone4. Very well support and packed-full with features – five stars. Regarding Things: development is so slow it's agonizing… :confused:

10. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

used to be a things user on iphone/ipad and mac...

cultered code are so slow at responding and bringing necessary features out, that i switched to omnifocus on all platforms..

haven't looked back since.

11. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I like this one a lot as well.. Syncing seems to work fine across all devices too. I don't really find myself using the other devices though because I manage my tasks from one place usually.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I like BusyToTo. It syncs iCal tasks over the air with MobileMe.

13. thankins macrumors 6502

14. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

Things

+1 for Things, though a MobileMe linked sync capability would be superb. Up until the release of the iPhone on Verizon, I owned a Droid (and thus didn't have Things app on my phone). Now that I have the iPhone as well, Things is in my pocket wherever I go. This was the one app I missed the most on my Droid, since I was able to work around Google sync for my contacts and calendar to and from my Mac using BusySync. Great platform. Simple and elegant at the same time.

15. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

+1 for Omnifocus. I went through the whole "whoa - that's too pricey I'll just get a cheaper app" thing for about a year before getting Omnifocus. ToDo by Appigo is pretty great, but I found that the OF app sync'd less obtrusively and the app was just really well designed.

16. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

OmniFocus all the way.

I'm a new Mac owner and recently purchased OmniFocus for the Mac. had I not already been using OmniFocus on my iPad or iPhone the price may have shocked me into not getting it. The first OmniFocus I bought was the iPad version, at first I thought the price for the iPad version was high, but after reading reviews of all 3 versions and watching the videos on the OmniFocus website I decided to go with it. After I got my Mac 10 days ago OmniFocus for mac was the first app I bought off the Mac App Store. Using it on the Mac, iPhone and iPad has been flawless and well worth the costs involved.

Sometimes paying the higher price means you get better products. As Mac owners we should all know this since you could get Windows PC's and laptops for less than half of what a Mac costs.

ToDo from Appigo, Pocket Informant and 2Do are all great apps as well, but they just don't hold a candle to OmniFocus.

17. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Another vote for Omnifocus!
    There's a free trial of the mac version, and after a couple of vids it all makes sense, but still grows on you weeks later. It can do A LOT, and it does it pretty well, although I imagine 80% of the people using it only use like 50% of its functions, or similar.
    I have to think a lot less now than I did before, if that makes sense.
    Also, their forums are full of info, and helpful people, and that kinda thing, and customer service seems to generally kick arse.

I hear good things about things too though, but haven't checked it out.

18. Nikh macrumors regular

Actually, you don't need to use the same app on iPhone and Mac OS. You can use any Mac OS desktop application, which sync with iCal, and iPhone/iPad one which syncs as well (so iCal will be kinda intermediate storage for your tasks).

For instance, we tested our ToDo Lists Mac OS application with 2Do for iPhone, and everything worked well.