ToDo + notes in one app ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maagus, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Maagus macrumors regular

I have been looking for task management app with integrated notes for quite some time now but without any luck. I would like to have and app with some sort of quick entry where I could choose to add ToDo (does not have to be GTD style) or Note. To be more specific, I am looking for app that would combine apps like Things and Together (or Evernote), also if it has iPhone sync it would be awesome :)
    The reason is that I don't like to have two separate apps for those things. Sometimes I make some notes, link to that some documents and web sites and I would like to make task from it easily and vice versa (i.e. create task and than write some notes, link to it some documents etc). And the OmniFocus is overkill for me, I think, because sometimes I just need to write some notes without any task.
    Thank you for any suggestions :)

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

ummm...... Have ya tried Mail? It has pretty much all these features. It's nice, built right in to OS X and everything :)

Also, entourage should probably do about the same...

3. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Well, Mail does not have all the features that Evernote or Together has. I mean this situation: college or work projects with lots of linked stuff to it in one place (bookmarks, documents, screenshots etc.) with task ability (i.e. set a due date etc.). I am currently using Mail Notes and Todos for simple things and Evernote for the larger projects and iCal/Mail for tasks but it would be nice to have all in one place and combined together :)

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Omni Outliner should do the trick. And you don't need the Pro version, the regular version works great.

You could also use a snippet keeper like Caboodle, though it would stray far afield from what generally considers a to-do app.

mt

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Shovebox, maybe.

I've been looking for the same thing...currently using a combination of Things and Yojimbo. You can use Yojimbo by itself to do a sort of todo list/GTD setup, and there are some guides to that http://castingoutnines.wordpress.com/2007/11/17/yojimbo-and-getting-things-done/ but it's not really ideal.

Let me know if you find anything...it's annoying to have to check two different apps when I make a note about something and then deal with a to-do.

6. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Omnioutliner was not quite what I meant. However I have found Process from Jumsoft and it seems to be exactly what I need. You can have categories (they are called projects however they can be used as categories), Notes (you can even view Word documents inside the app) where you can attach files etc., you can add to every note Start and Due date, priority, label, it sync with iCal etc. It would be nice if it has iPhone version or some way of viewing Notes on iPhone, but at least it sync with iCal.

7. SailorTom macrumors regular

project manager in entourage anyone?

That essentially allows you combine email, calendars, todo notes and any other files into one interface for one project and syncs as well. I've only just started using it myself so I don't know how useful it actually is.

8. macsteps macrumors newbie

macsteps

How about Circus Ponies Notebook:
    http://www.circusponies.com/

If the notebook metaphor works for you, it probably has everything you're looking for.

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Interesting app...if you could add new items with a hot key I think it'd be close to perfect.

10. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried that but it doesn't have the full synchronization with iCal (it creates its own category and changes made in iCal don't sync back).
    It seems the Jumsoft Process is fine except the quick entry panel which I miss from Things :(

11. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

things

tried all of em and i keep coming back to things, simple and complex enough when i need it to be ..

12. macsteps macrumors newbie

macsteps

By the way, I just saw that Process is part of the current Mac Bundle Box:
    http://www.macbundlebox.com/

So, for $10 more than Process alone, you get Process plus 9 other apps.

Ends today though.

13. WanderingNomad macrumors newbie

Check out OmniFocus. It's a better match than OmniOutliner for this.