Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Sources? Why so defensive? This was aimed at 17guy and his comments. Does that describe you too?
Only source I have is the majority of friends I have that are "regular" consumers (meaning not someone visiting tech related sites like this). The might have a widget or two extra or their own wallpaper, but they simply use the device as the OEM provided it to them, because it does exactly what they need it to do.
And defensive? Nope. Just stating my opinions.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Only source I have is the majority of friends I have that are "regular" consumers (meaning not someone visiting tech related sites like this). The might have a widget or two extra or their own wallpaper, but they simply use the device as the OEM provided it to them, because it does exactly what they need it to do.

Awesome......so their phone does for them exactly what yours does for you........and the world still continues to spin......

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Awesome......so their phone does for them exactly what yours does for you........and the world still continues to spin......
Exactly. But, you seemed to have missed the point. In their instance, an iPhone would have worked just as fine for them as well. Out of the majority of my Android using friends though, most of them got sold into Android by a "techie". Walled garden, no customizability, etc - were the terms used to get them to purchase an Android phone.
When I was upgrading one of my iPhones, one of these guys tried to sell me on the Note 3 as a possible upgrade. And he used pretty much the same arguments, as if there's a script out there or something.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
thread is being reported. Let the mods deal with this. An observation does make me any which way.

You two have brought such riveting discussion to this subforum

Exactly. Why report the thread? Seriously? Seems I was absolutely right in the other thread that got locked. Some people have such thin skin at times. Just wow!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Exactly. But, you seemed to have missed the point. In their instance, an iPhone would have worked just as fine for them as well. Out of the majority of my Android using friends though, most of them got sold into Android by a "techie". Walled garden, no customizability, etc - were the terms used to get them to purchase an Android phone.
When I was upgrading one of my iPhones, one of these guys tried to sell me on the Note 3 as a possible upgrade. And he used pretty much the same arguments, as if there's a script out there or something.

Your friends does not mean all Android users......what if you just have weird friends. I have friends that jailbreak their iphones......does that mean everyone does? See how that works? You're not being objective because you are in to big a rush to extoll all things Apple.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Your friends does not mean all Android users......what if you just have weird friends. I have friends that jailbreak their iphones......does that mean everyone does? See how that works? You're not being objective because you are in to big a rush to extoll all things Apple.

If you honestly believe that with a marketshare of 80+% of the markets and over 1 billion devices sold, that even a majority of those people are rooting or loading a different launcher or side loading apps, you are deluding yourself.
People want a device that works and does what they want. This is why you'll sell Dell,HP, Lenovo, etc always outsell a white box or DIY PC, because regular consumers don't want to have to deal with that.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If you honestly believe that with a marketshare of 80+% of the markets and over 1 billion devices sold, that even a majority of those people are rooting or loading a different launcher or side loading apps, you are deluding yourself.
People want a device that works and does what they want. This is why you'll sell Dell,HP, Lenovo, etc always outsell a white box or DIY PC, because regular consumers don't want to have to deal with that.
Whoa...where did you get all that? I never said anything like that......

You used your friends as a basis for all Android users habits. Thats wrong........not a good sampling.

You made the statement below. I asked for sources....you listed your friends as a basis for all Android users habits. Thats where it goes wrong.

Originally Posted by mercuryjones View Post

Originally Posted by mercuryjones View Post
As opposed to the portrayal of Android as somehow "open" and "techie", making each individual somehow unique, when the majority of Android users won't change a thing from the default setup, thereby becoming exactly the same.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Whoa...where did you get all that? I never said anything like that......

You used your friends as a basis for all Android users habits. Thats wrong........not a good sampling.

You made the statement below. I asked for sources....you listed your friends as a basis for all Android users habits. Thats where it goes wrong.
Sorry. I guess I could make up a source for it, but without polling all of the Android users in the world, you'd never believe it anyway. It was simply an extrapolation of what I see on a day to day basis.
Just like you have no sources to back up your claims either. I knew this going in, so there was no reason to try and get you to quote a source of it.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
i think this is more than just Android devices. It can apply to all of us here.

We have iPhone users, HTC users, Samsung users, Sony users so they might be saying in general, be together not the same. And the same part could apply to people to not to bash other phone users because everyone is different.

I love this ad campaign. Not to risk it getting chucked into PRSI, but that slogan could apply to a lot more situations in our world...

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
i think this is more than just Android devices. It can apply to all of us here.

We have iPhone users, HTC users, Samsung users, Sony users so they might be saying in general, be together not the same. And the same part could apply to people to not to bash other phone users because everyone is different.

I love this ad campaign. Not to risk it getting chucked into PRSI, but that slogan could apply to a lot more situations in our world...

I like this interpretation, and yea, why not? Like I said I'm an iphone user but see why others go for other devices, especially now since all mobile operating systems have evolved. Windows 8 is not bad at all, and if blackberry made wiser business decisions they would still be relevant too

There's room for everyone and their choice of phones ;-)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I like this interpretation, and yea, why not? Like I said I'm an iphone user but see why others go for other devices, especially now since all mobile operating systems have evolved. Windows 8 is not bad at all, and if blackberry made wiser business decisions they would still be relevant too

There's room for everyone and their choice of phones ;-)

Totally agree......

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-00-20.png

All Kinds Of Phones For All Kinds Of Folks

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The commercials are well made. Particularly because they manage to criticize their main competitor without beign negative or mentioning them by name.

Exactly! In fact who says they are talking about the iPhone? It's the collective commenting here that made it out to be Apple thus evidently that shoe fits....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Exactly! In fact who says they are talking about the iPhone? It's the collective commenting here that made it out to be Apple thus evidently that shoe fits....

They are not talking about windows. It's easy to poke fun at Apple, one the richest and most innovative companies in the world...having success means failing just as often...

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
They are not talking about windows. It's easy to poke fun at Apple, one the richest and most innovative companies in the world...having success means failing just as often...

You're trolling with old bait. Time to get innovative.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're trolling with old bait. Time to get innovative.

Sir,if you are a sir, you seem to troll quite often. Having said that, If you think I am trolling report my posts to the mods and let them take it from there. You can put me on ignore..or just give it a rest. And you might want to look up the word innovative in a dictionary before you misuse it.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Sir,if you are a sir, you seem to troll quite often. Having said that, If you think I am trolling report my posts to the mods and let them take it from there.

Did I imply that I care if you are trolling? No. It's entertaining. I don't need the Mods here for anything related to you. Just advising you are using stale bate. Innovative is the correct word for it too. You need new material aka using or showing new methods, ideas, etc You've played the Apple profitability and innovative card a zillion times.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Did I imply that I care if you are trolling? No. It's entertaining. I don't need the Mods here for anything related to you. Just advising you are using stale bate. Innovative is the correct word for it too. You need new material aka using or showing new methods, ideas, etc You've played the Apple profitability and innovative card a zillion times.

That's not trolling then. a real troll would write an obviously false, inflammatory statement under the guise of an opinion. My statement was neither false nor inflammatory no matter how many times that tends to be said on the Internet.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
That's not trolling then. a real troll would write an obviously false, inflammatory statement under the guise of an opinion. My statement was neither false nor inflammatory no matter how many times that tends to be said on the Internet.

never mind....the key word in my reply was bait but then IIRC you stated you're in IT so I'm not surprised you don't understand. :rolleyes:

awaiting an outdoors man to come across the post to get it.

moving on now.....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
never mind....the key word in my reply was bait but then IIRC you stated you're in IT so I'm not surprised you don't understand. :rolleyes:

awaiting an outdoors man to come across the post to get it.

moving on now.....

Right, and I think you said you're in sales iirc; and all that implies.

The keyword was "troll" whether it was a verb, adverb or participle.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Right, and I think you said you're in sales iirc; and all that implies.

The keyword was "troll" whether it was a verb, adverb or participle.

Nope and the word was actually "trolling" and was in reference to fishing as if I actually needed to clarify that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.