toggle between Safari and Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phscvlle, Jul 30, 2007.

1. phscvlle macrumors newbie

I need to buy a Macbook with Vista installed so I can access certain charts in Vista on the internet from sites that do not support Mac. By installing Parellels I am told I can toggle back and forth. Can I do that while on the internet?

Second, when the store sets up the installation of Vista how much HD should they use for Vista Business. I note that Vista seems to say 15GB.

Third, When the store starts Macbook they will have to sign on as an Administrator. How do I change all that, User name and password, when I pick it up.

Thanks.:)

2. on777 macrumors newbie

If its just a web site that you need Vista for . You may want to just install Firefox or Opera in Mac and try that. Depending on those charts you are referring to , you may just also need MS Office to open/edit them. Unless you just need to view them, there may be a reader for those apps for OS X

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I wasn't aware that stores would install Vista on the macbook for you.

Nevertheless, you probably want 15-20gb of hard drive space for Vista if you don't intend installing much on it.

To change your username and passwords, you just need to goto System Preferences - Accounts and do it from there.

Hope that helps. :)

EDIT: odinsride has kindly pointed out that you can have the internet on both OS X and parallels at the same time.

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

This is not true. You can have internet on both OSX and your VM at the same time. You can even assign the VM it's own IP address.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

What store are you buying that they're installing Vista? Apple won't do it for you.

And yes, internet works fine in a VM and OS X at the same time, I do it all the time. I have Safari, FF, Opera, and Camino open in OS X and IE open in Windows (in Coherence mode) all at the same time testing sites.

As for your last question, just go into the System Preferences and under accounts change that info.

6. phscvlle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all.

I have purchased the Macbook today from MacMall. They install Parellels and Vista for me before sending it out. Good price too. I get a $75 rebate on the CPU and $70 on Parellels.

PHS:D