Toggle Passcode Lock on/off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rm19, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rm19 macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    so there are times where i really need to have a passcode lock when i open my mac, but at other times i just don't want to enter one. I.e. when I'm near my friends i want it locked so they can't mess around with it and when I'm at home, i just want to be able to open the lid and start working. Is there any simple solution or do i always need to go to settings and enable/disable it?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd recommend leaving it on, for security. If you're always in the habit of entering it, you never have to wonder, "Did I activate it or not?" when people show up or you have to pick it up and go somewhere. Just choose a complex password that's also comfortable and easy to type. I can type mine in 2-3 seconds.

3. camardelle macrumors 6502

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it an it not be activated. Sort of like insurance.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You could disable the automatic lock or extend it to something like 4 hours, and then go to Keychain Access > Preferences > Show in menu bar. The lock icon will appear in your lock icon, and you can manually lock your Mac whenever you want to.