Toggling AT&T iPad LTE On and OFF?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sidgriffey, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sidgriffey macrumors member

Per this article http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/0...eration-unboxing-video-reveals-4g-lte-toggle/ someone posed a great question about whether AT&T LTE iPads would turn off HSPA+ once LTE is toggled off or if it is literally only toggling off LTE, thereby letting users operate on HSPA+, or, AT&T's "4G."

Anyone know the answer to this? Furthermore, does this information make the AT&T or Verizon iPad more desireable?

2. aypues macrumors regular

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw that switch.

3. sidgriffey thread starter macrumors member

It really brings up the following question too: If the main reason we toggle off LTE is to save battery and we want to still get a speed that is decent and reliable, then does this affect the decision to go with AT&T or Verizon? I live in Los Angeles/ Santa Monica area where theoretically both carriers cover me. But I have no experience with VZW 3G to know if toggling off LTE would land me a bag of hurt (to quote SJ) or if it's fine and more battery efficient than, say, running at HSPA+ ... again, assuming toggling LTE off on the AT&T even gets you HSPA+.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Considering the difference between 4G and WiFi web browsing is only an hour, I don't think it makes that big a difference. The screen brightness will matter a lot more.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020