Toilet gaming technology targets urinal boredom

arkitect

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I don't know what to make of this… Boredom while taking a piss? Or is Captive Media taking the piss?

How absolutely weird.

:p

Love the "rudimentary joystick"…

British company Captive Media thinks it has developed a product that fills a gap in the market - a urinal mounted, urine-controlled games console for men.
It calls it the first "hands-free" video gaming console of its kind.

The sturdy device sits above the normal oval ceramic urinal bowl, opening up a whole new world of entertainment.

The user is presented with three generous targets to aim for in the urinal: stickers in the unit that read "Start", "Left" and "Right".

The console is able to detect where the urine is falling by means of an infra-red device.

And so a rudimentary "joystick" is set up.
Link…

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
If you are 66 years old and have a prostate the size of a softball:

1) Having something to fill the time it takes to pee is a great idea

and

2) Unfortunately, the condition effects...how shall I say this... the strength of the stream, making the game impossible.

Trust me people - don't get old. It bites...:(;)

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Didn't some kids from MIT do something like this awhile ago? Don't think it used infrared though - it was pressure sensors or something.

Anyway, sounds like fun to me!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Fuggetaboutit, NYer here! But Boston is a quaint little town. :D
I was born and raised in NY (until age 19) - then Boston after a stint in the Midwest.

Never heard "wicked pissah" in NY. Of course, I'm old enough that when I was still in NY we were speaking Middle English. :rolleyes: ;)

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I read somewhere that SEGA is doing something like this in Japan. I'll try to dig it up (if I can) if you are that interested. :/

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.