'Toilet row' in International Space Station

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by arkitect, Mar 31, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Well I guess since you can't just "go outside" it is a bit of a problem. :D
    Link…
    National toilets?

2. Queso macrumors G4

That's simply pathetic, and against everything the ISS project is supposed to stand for. Houston, you have an attitude problem.

3. arkitect thread starter macrumors 603

arkitect

How do people think we're going to get to Mars (24 months duration) if this is the kind of squabbling going on just outside Earth…

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They should just fly him up a toilet for his own exclusive use – then he can boldly go where no man has gone before.

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

LOL, literally!

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

7. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds to me like all the squabbling is happening down on the planet below. The Cosmo/Astro-nauts need to just ignore ridiculous instructions about national boundaries and get on with it. I mean, where does it stop? "The Russians can't use your air"?

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd piss up into the air, and take a deep breath, and blow it towards those silly Americans.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Now we just need a huge monolith to send a message back home...

10. Queso macrumors G4

Personally I'd take the deep breath first :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I guess you wouldn't want to drown in the ISS. :p

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm guessing that the chemicals used to flush / clean the toilet cost something like $100,000 per litre to fly up, as well as the cost of all the other toilet engineering mechanisms.

Accounting for wear and tear and consumables, each crap probably costs about $50,000 (pulled that figure out of my ass as we're talking faeces here.)

You know how it is with toilets blocks, everyone has a favourite toilet, maybe one smells better or is more comfy than the other. So everyone went to that one. (dunno if it was the Russian or the US one). Then ground control says hey! we're paying for everyone's dumps here! Stop that, use your own bog!

And here we go. Toilet wars. Just like 3 year old kids.

I agree with the above poster, this is not what the ISS is about. If it's true one loo is overused, fine, have a rota. Everyone who does a jobby on the US throne must use the Russian jakes next time. Or whatever. Sort it out like adults.

Ditto the exercise bike. That probably cost $50,000,000 to fly up, and is probably full of gadgets that get worn out through overuse. A 10 year lifespan if used 2x day goes down to 5 years if used 4x day.

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

So the Russians have their own space ship to fly to the ISS but not their own toilet on the ISS? :confused:

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Um,

"But space missions became more commercial in 2003 and Moscow started billing Washington for sending its astronauts into space, he said. Other nations responded in kind, he added."

15. diemos macrumors 6502

that's hilarious, lol.

Houston we have a problem!

16. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

When the, umm, toilet was broken recently, they all used the russian one. So, in fair play, the russians can use the american one. As the brits call it, the. Loo.