Tokyo Apple Music Event?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Macworld, Apple Japan sent out invitations to select journalists to a special music event in Tokyo.

The event takes place on August 4th at 10am at the Tokyo International Forum.

Macworld speculates that Apple iTunes Japan could be launched at the media event. iTunes Japan was originally promised to arrive in 2004 according to statements made by Steve Jobs. Licensing issues were attributed to causing delays in the release.

The most recent rumors in June predicted an August announcement with a per song cost of about 150 yen (US$1.40)

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
Hm, Hope it's both iTMS Japan and the iTunes Phone. Though, I'm starting to doubt that the iTunes Phone will ever be released. Seems like every time it's "supposed" to be released the only thing that gets released is another release date... *sigh*

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Gee... I didn't get an invite! Must have gotten lost in my spam filters. :( Bummer dudettes and dudes. I now go to commune with the pig of all knowledge about things MacPDAphone. :) My bet.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
iTunes Japan is going to sell a TON of music. Awesome - I can't wait. I would be suprised if the iTunes phone was debuted at this event. Its not the right venue.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
New video iPods, iPhone, PowerBook G5's, and Intel Macs! :D

No, but seriously, be nice to have an iTMS Japan. Even better if they can start convincing various record companies to make music available on other iTMS country stores (it's getting harder to find well-priced non-bootleg companies for Japanese imports).

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Apple Non-Events

Before the iPod Shuffle was launched Apple sent similar invitations to journalists in Australia. When the day came they just used the occasion to give the journalists a closer look at the new products. I think Apple was lead to believe that it could launch iTunes in Australia but on the last minute SONY Music refused to make a deal in time. I would not be surprised if there will be a similar non-event in Tokyo. That is SONY territory after all.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
¥150 bleh. Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing.

Here's to a life of legal downloading!

I think I'll sneak myself into the International Forum on the 4th... 3 days after my birthday. What a perfect birthday gift it will be!

irmongoose

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Oh boy. I'm just going to assume this blasted silly phone will be released then once and for all and we can start talking about something else again. Does anybody know if Apple would be able to release the phone in Japan with it's launch, ie: if they have made any deals with any Japanese cellular service providers? Because with the market for crazy cell phones they seem to have going on there, I'd imagine that an iTunes phone would be crazy succesful: early adopters that they are.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Boy band strategy

law guy said:
Excellent. New iTMSs are key to my boy-band strategy for early retirement.
The real money is in the post-boy band solo career. Look at Justin Timberlake and Robbie Williams. They could buy gold cars if they wanted to.

KTYS

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2005
Tokyo, Japan
supergod said:
Oh boy. I'm just going to assume this blasted silly phone will be released then once and for all and we can start talking about something else again. Does anybody know if Apple would be able to release the phone in Japan with it's launch, ie: if they have made any deals with any Japanese cellular service providers? Because with the market for crazy cell phones they seem to have going on there, I'd imagine that an iTunes phone would be crazy succesful: early adopters that they are.
I don't think that would be possible. I'm one of the very few people who don't have a mobile phone, but I think most major mobile phone companies (NTT DoCoMo, Vodafone, au) already have their own music download service. Apple may have had success with an iTMS mobile phone if iTMS opened a year ago.

What I'm worried about is whether iTMS will allow CD burning, transfer to more than one iPod, and the transfer up to 5 computers. People are not allowed to copy even for personal use here in Japan... Even the other (unpopular) music download services do not allow CD burning.

Mactopher

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2004
Mt Eliza, Australia
It will be extremely interesting to see if Sony plays the right 'tune' this time and allows the launch of an iTMS for Japan. As it seems Sony is the culprit in the failure of the launch an iTMS for Australia, it is hard to fathom how Sony could possibly give the green light to the launch of an iTMS in their own backyard. Some serious questions have to be asked of Sony's current perceived attitude to the launch of an iTMS in Australia.

Of course for Australia, it might just a simple question of getting agreement on any proposed pricing, but come on Sony you are milking the Australian market in terms of your pricing across your broad range of products. But lucky for me I often get to visit Tokyo and can Sony products with significant price reductions, compared to Australia.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
FunkSpaceMonkey said:
I want iTMS to arrive in Australia so I can Podcast my website!!! That's the only reason. You can't Podcast if you don't have an account.. :mad:
You could break your arm, have it put in a cast, draw an ipod on said cast and post a picture on your website.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
KTYS said:
What I'm worried about is whether iTMS will allow CD burning, transfer to more than one iPod, and the transfer up to 5 computers. People are not allowed to copy even for personal use here in Japan... Even the other (unpopular) music download services do not allow CD burning.
I'm pretty sure it'll have all of that. Personal use rights is something Apple is fairly concerned about..and I don't think they'd risk the popularity of the iTunes brand by bringing out a limited version in Japan.

Plus steve jobs would just tell them to pee-off ;) :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I remember a few months ago, people discovered that each store has an ID, starting at 41 (USA) and incrementing in "order of release" - the four European countries last added were 56, 57, 58 and 59, for a total of 19 currently-available stores. Also discovered were 60 (Australia) and 61 (NZ). If I recall correctly, 62 didn't have anything assigned to it though.

Unfortunately, Apple blocked the little loophole so I can't go and see whether 62 is now assigned.

Edit: Store 62 has been allocated, but I can't tell what country it's for. 63, on the other hand, is still unused.

Full list of country IDs:

41 USA
42 France
43 Germany
44 UK
45 Austria
46 Belgium
47 Finland
48 Greece
49 Ireland
50 Italy
51 Luxembourg