Tokyo, Los Angeles, or Chicago

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Mar 18, 2010.

?

Which one?

1. Tokyo with the current employer

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. CHI with this new employer

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. LAX with this new employer

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. TYO with this new employer

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I used to live in the East Coat for more than 10 years and am in Tokyo.
    I have a potential opportunity to join a company which will station me at its LAX or CHI office.

I am torn on which option to take. I already have a condo and a nice car in Tokyo. So, I am not interested in selling nor renting them if I decide to live in the USA. Career opportunities themselves are at the same level in all three locations; but, I need to give up my current job as a distribution center manager in Tokyo.
    Tokyo: DC manager position (current)
    Chicago: Sales Manager position (New Employer A)
    Los Angeles: Sales Manager position (New Employer A)
    Tokyo: Unspecified position (New Employer A)

I am interested in fielding some opinions.

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

3. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This is a really personal decision.

If you want sun, beach and warm weather 80% of the year than LA is a no brainier.

I would say its crowded and there is traffic but I imagine compared to Tokyo it will seem deserted.

Chicago is a really cool city in its own right, tons of culture, museums etc.

Tokyo seems like a really interesting life and cultural experience, however you've been doing that for a while, and if part of you wasn't ready for a change you probably wouldn't be asking us eh?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It gets really cold in Chicago
    They don't call it the windy city for nothing
    Just sayin'

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Besides the weather differences, look into the following:
    - Salary differences
    - Taxes: state, city
    - living expenses: in Chicago snow, winter cloathing, etc...
    - future career development opportunities
    - customers you will be serving and how that will impact your future in the company
    - is there any different challange/objective depending on the city?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wouldn't bother moving to LA unless I was desperate for a change of scenery. Chicago is probably like Toronto, so it's probably nice, but is it as good as Tokyo?

Is this about work, or lifestyle? Would you work fewer hours in Chicago?

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Sister's just back from LA, was living there for 4 years.. she's loves it there. Great weather, people are friendly and sociable. Everywhere's nice compared to the UK though :p

8. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Share us with your experience in LA. What part of LA you did not like?

Based on the info I have now, the work load should be equal across the three cities. I am not keen on the cold weather and snow. Basically, I have everything I "need" in Tokyo to make a decent living. But, I "want" to reclaim my American experiences after a few years of hiatus. Thus my current conundrum.

I have a fond memory of California as that was where I landed the first time in the US when I was in high school. If I decide to take an LA job, it would be like getting back to where my dream started.

But, as I get older (by the way, I am still young even though I sound like an old geek), the reality sets in and I need to consider how my life will shape up as I move along. The State of California is financially strapped and its taxes are going up.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a spreadsheet (no kidding) that outlines in great detail the cost of living between Raleigh, NC, Chicago, IL, and Los Angeles, CA (LA and greater metro area). It details that alongside of other factors including, but not limited to, commute times, public transport or lack thereof, crime, schooling (colleges), potential social activities, weather, etc.

In short, and excluding Raleigh as that's not your bag clearly, LA and Chicago were hand in hand (close enough) in terms of cost of living. Nightlife was very similar as well. Chicago has better public transport and you can live downtown (you're young, save the suburbs for your 50s or when you marry and have kids) and walk to many places that will be entertaining. You can then, again with the public transport, take a cab or the train anywhere else. The need for a car in Chicago is not as high as it is in LA, in my personal opinion.

So how do you decide? Quite frankly, and most bluntly, it comes down to weather. How close do you want to be to water? In LA you're at the least 2 hours from skiing and 30 minutes from water if you're not too far inland. In Chicago that changes. But back to weather. When it was 40º in the morning I was sending screen shots to a friend where their temperature was 0º (F). So yeah. Today it is more comparable with LA, it's about 45º in LA right now and 47º in Chicago, but it's also 6:30 am there and 4:30 am in LA. You cannot beat LA weather. Chicago is more extreme and has at least two seasons, freaking cold and freaking hot. In LA when it's cold it's cold, in Chicago when it's cold it's also usually snowing.

It depends on how you wish to look at things. I think I'd pick Chicago because I'd take weather over the type of people I ran into more often than not in LA. It's entirely up to you.

Wherever you take your pen collection I hope you enjoy it, that's a real great opportunity.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since I live here, Chicago. I love to go play in LA, but if I had to live there, I'd slash my wrists. LA can be a very lonely place, plus you have to drive everywhere.

But again, it's a personal thing. It all comes down to your preferences.

Oh come on. It's not that bad.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Actually, they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City,_Origin_of_Name_(Chicago)

(It's far windyer(?) in Boston.)

Which location? The one that keeps you closer to those you love. You won't wish you'd taken a job in Hong Kong when you're about to die.

12. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

After visiting both L.A. and Tokyo and also living in London I would not be able to deal with L.A.'s lack of a decent public transport system. I love the London underground for it's convenience and Tokyo's system is much better.

How do you feeling in Tokyo at the moment? The couple we stayed with said it was a fairly lonely existence as even if a westerner speaks the language and knows the customs, they are still considered an outsider. They both really enjoyed it there but both admitted to feeling a little alienated.

13. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

My question is what is really making you interested in the offers? I would think that if you were really content with where you are, you'd have no reason to question. Are you looking for a change, better or different career opportunities, or?

I lived in LA for about 6 months. Granted I didn't make anywhere near the money I suspect you've been offered, so that will slant my opinion. Personally I think LA is a fantastic place to visit. Lots to see and do. Although I'd never want to live there again. Its very expensive, you have to drive everywhere (believe its been mentioned already), the traffic is a nightmare. If you're used to sitting in traffic for 2 hours to go 10 miles on the freeway, maybe its not so bad. I do, however, remember telling myself that if I could live very close to the beach, I'd like LA more. For one, because its much cooler and also just a lot nicer and more interesting (in some areas).

Don't know anything about Tokyo.

I don't know much about Chicago, from pictures it looks like a big city like NYC, but with nicer architecture. I'd personally consider Chicago if I had an offer there. Then again, I also like cold weather.

14. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

You know, I've heard this many times. After having lived in LA, I didn't find Metro to be THAT bad. Its far from stellar, but I don't think its horrible.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My vote is for Chicago, if you are really looking at coming back to the United States.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Tokyo.

Unless you can get into a neat in LA (eg: A house in Beverly Hills), the city is just too dirty.

And Chicago's got a high crime rate.

17. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

LA is an awesome place. Been here most of my life and I love it. There's so much to do here. The beaches are great. There's a ton of hot chicks. Although, I cannot compare to Tokyo and Chicago from experience because I've never been to either. But like GreyGrey said, you can't go wrong with LA.:cool:

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Tokyo. Best city in the world IMHO. I found Chicago to be severely disappointing after Tokyo. Food isn't as good, weather isn't nearly as nice, transport isn't as efficient or clean, not enough izakayas, not enough totally fashion-obsessed nutcases, not enough modern galleries, etc etc. I can't speak for LA since I don't know it that well, but you HAVE to drive there. For me that's disincentive enough.

@ Lee: It IS that bad. It SNOWS! ;)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To be fair- coming back from anywhere civilized to the US is depressing.

And snow is awesome!

20. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Little known fact: "The Windy City" nickname actually has nothing to do with the weather. That nickname was created to describe the politicians in the old political machine days (which some can still rightfully argue, still exists). ...the idea that they all just blow a lot of hot air.

The weather in Chicago is fine. I never understand the complaints that some people have about it. Chicago is no more cold than other cities at that latitude (excluding the west coast climate). Plus, snow storms tend to go either north or south of Chicago....with the other side of the lake getting the majority of the snow. With Chicago, you get an almost unrivaled amount of culture and things to do. The diversity is astounding and almost completely unique in the United States.

I'm somewhat biased since I'm from and currently live in Chicago. However, I've lived on the West Coast and have spent a lot of time in Los Angeles. LA is a great place to visit...and vacation in. However, the city feels almost "soulless." The traffic is horrible. The city has no genuine "character." You get the feeling of more pretentiousness and a false facade. This is a matter of opinion, but I would get sick of all the sun. I like my weather and seasons. LA doesn't really get seasons. Just mostly sun and sun and sun (though it can rarely get cooler with rare rain).

The reason that I moved back to Chicago is the opportunity, the vast cultural climate, the great people, the art scene, the outstanding food...and it's general awesomeness...among many other factors. Chicago is a wonderful place to live, work and play.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In Japan, it strikes me that people tend to work much longer hours and are at the office more than people living in the United States. Here it can be out-at-five everyday. If this really is the case I'd pick LA, even though I love Tokyo to visit and I like the "walk everywhere" lifestyle.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed on all points. I've been all over the US, and this is the best place I've found. I find it funny that so many people have the impression that the weather is somehow like Siberia. It's not at all. It's no different than NYC or any other place this far north.

23. ethical macrumors 68000

Although I've never been to any of these places (and the only experience of the US I have is South Carolina and Jacksonville, FL.) my vote it for Chicago.

All my knowledge of LA comes from movies, daily vLogs from ShayCarl on YouTube (although that's move venice beach than downtown LA) and Google street view, and when compared to my equally vast knowledge of Chicago, coming from movies and again Google street view, Chicago seems so much more appealing.

To me (again, take note of my vast knowledge and experience with these cities) LA seems so spread out and vast that it's got no soul. Like it's only definition is "the place with all the movie stars". Whereas when I think of Chicago I think of art, museums, tall old buildings and pizza. All things I love! Also, I'd definitely get sick of sun sun sun and the many douchebags walking around thinking they own the world (I assume there are lots of them in LA?). A bit of snow every now and then is lovely! Have you not seen Home Alone 1? Granted it was the suburbs of Chicago...but it's so magical!! :p

If I had the option to move and live downtown in a city like Chicago (with a job waiting for me!) I'd jump on a plane in an instant!

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

These kinds of comparisons are interesting to me because unless the OP gives us very specific parameters as to what he likes or dislikes, where in the city he'll be working, where in the city he'd like to live, and so on - it's all pretty pointless.

Different strokes for different folks. All you can do is spend a good amount of time in each city and pick the one that feels the most 'right' to you. It's like asking people whether you should have Italian, Mexican, or Vietnamese food for dinner tonight. Everyone is going to have their opinions, but it's not going to mean squat unless you tell us a little more about your specific tastes and priorities.

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Sorry to thread jack but should I wear a red, blue or white shirt tonight? Thanks. :rolleyes: