Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
The other day I restored my phone and I tried to redownload this app I bought in 2011, instead of showing the "cloud" icon I got the price icon instead, which indicates that I haven't bought the app. I checked the version history to see if the app was removed from the App Store previously but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I found the receipt for the app and emailed Apple about it. They emailed me back saying that since the app has been removed or modified, I can't download it anymore and they basically told me to purchase the app again or contact the developer.

Strangely enough, the app still appears on my "Purchases" list, the latest version too even.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I tried to search in this forum for a similar experience but there doesn't seem to be one. The app didn't cost me much, but it just seems rather peculiar so I'm quite curious.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I have had the case where the app didnt show up as the cloud icon to download it. But going to the app page and clicking buy, a popup come up saying I have already purchased it, and it was just going to download it.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
If you've hidden the app from the purchased pane, it'll show a price tag as if you never bought it, but if you try and buy it again it'll just tell you you already bought it and ask you to re-download it.

So the first thing I'd check, go see if the app is listen in your hidden purchases and if it is, you know you can safely download it again without paying.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I have had the case where the app didnt show up as the cloud icon to download it. But going to the app page and clicking buy, a popup come up saying I have already purchased it, and it was just going to download it.

I remember this happened with the older iOS, I must admit though I don't want to just try to buy it again and see what happens, especially since the app already in my Purchases list.

If you've hidden the app from the purchased pane, it'll show a price tag as if you never bought it, but if you try and buy it again it'll just tell you you already bought it and ask you to re-download it.

So the first thing I'd check, go see if the app is listen in your hidden purchases and if it is, you know you can safely download it again without paying.

I just checked it, it's not hidden. :confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I remember this happened with the older iOS, I must admit though I don't want to just try to buy it again and see what happens, especially since the app already in my Purchases list.

If you don't have a gift card balance on your account, what you could do is remove your credit card from the account temporarily.

Then you could try "buying" the app again. If you don't have to pay for it, it should download. And since there is no payment method on your account, it won't let you get an app you have to pay for.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Which App is it? Maybe if you contact the developer, they'd issue a courtesy download code...?

It Is James

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
Washington
Are you sure you're signed into the same Apple account you originally purchased it from?

I've had this happen sometimes, even while logged into the same account. I clicked on it anyway, and wasn't charged when I 'bought' it. It said I already own the item, and was able to download it for free.

It was only a $1 app that I tested it with, and it was worth the risk. I wouldn't mind losing a $1 really.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011

Are you 100% certain it's EXACTLY the same app? For example, many apps have same/similar names but were withdrawn from the Store, only to be reintroduced as a new version with same/similar name.

I think recently VLC may have done this (for past licensing reasons, now resolved), i.e. I have TWO apps on my phone named "VLC", one the original they had to remove a couple of years ago, and the other the newly released version.

You have to be careful when you think they may be the same app, as it can be quite unclear. An idea is to, if possible, try checking the Get Info for the original app on your Mac/PC iTunes software, to see what it says to in the metadata there.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Which App is it? Maybe if you contact the developer, they'd issue a courtesy download code...?

It's Articles by Sophiestication. Haven't tried to contact them. Maybe.

Are you sure you're signed into the same Apple account you originally purchased it from?

I've had this happen sometimes, even while logged into the same account. I clicked on it anyway, and wasn't charged when I 'bought' it. It said I already own the item, and was able to download it for free.

It was only a $1 app that I tested it with, and it was worth the risk. I wouldn't mind losing a $1 really.

Yep the same account. The app was priced $5 before but now it's discounted to $1 so I might try that just out of curiosity.

Are you 100% certain it's EXACTLY the same app? For example, many apps have same/similar names but were withdrawn from the Store, only to be reintroduced as a new version with same/similar name.

I think recently VLC may have done this (for past licensing reasons, now resolved), i.e. I have TWO apps on my phone named "VLC", one the original they had to remove a couple of years ago, and the other the newly released version.

You have to be careful when you think they may be the same app, as it can be quite unclear. An idea is to, if possible, try checking the Get Info for the original app on your Mac/PC iTunes software, to see what it says to in the metadata there.

Not sure if it's exactly the same app. The response from Apple indicates that the app was pulled out from the App Store and replaced with the current version, but when I checked the version history it runs all the way back to 2010 (and I bought the app in 2011).

It was titled "Articles for iPhone" and now it's just "Articles" (I think it's just a universal app now), maybe the developer made a slight modification that caused this problem.

Zerthis

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
The other day I restored my phone and I tried to redownload this app I bought in 2011, instead of showing the "cloud" icon I got the price icon instead, which indicates that I haven't bought the app. I checked the version history to see if the app was removed from the App Store previously but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I found the receipt for the app and emailed Apple about it. They emailed me back saying that since the app has been removed or modified, I can't download it anymore and they basically told me to purchase the app again or contact the developer.

Strangely enough, the app still appears on my "Purchases" list, the latest version too even.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I tried to search in this forum for a similar experience but there doesn't seem to be one. The app didn't cost me much, but it just seems rather peculiar so I'm quite curious.

Not exactly the same situation tho, but I switched stores (from Thai to Dutch) a while ago and all purchases I have made in the Thai store disappeared from my "Purchased" page. The apps show up in the Dutch store with the recent price. When I click "Purchase" it will prompt me saying I have already purchased the app and can download it for free. Purchases made in the Dutch store are indeed showing the cloud icon.

Sometimes this is confusing, Apple's systems do know it, but they don't show it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.