Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian4610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
obviously it wasn't......when i went to an apple retail store, i was told that 'apple works' and other things like 'world book' were included with the all the other software that came with my Powerbook....

"oh yea, apple works and all the other stuff except word, and excel come with your powerbook".....

I going to call both apple and the apple retail store for a complaint, has anyone done this before, and did it work (for at least a discount)?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
brian4610 said:
obviously it wasn't......when i went to an apple retail store, i was told that 'apple works' and other things like 'world book' were included with the all the other software that came with my Powerbook....

"oh yea, apple works and all the other stuff except word, and excel come with your powerbook".....

I going to call both apple and the apple retail store for a complaint, has anyone done this before, and did it work (for at least a discount)?

AppleWorks and World Book are included on iMac's, or iBooks. Not the Powerbooks or PowerMacs. You either misunderstood or the person at the apple store gave you the wrong information.

The Power series come with Quickbooks, GraphicConverter, and a few other applications. the i series has World Book, AppleWorks and Quicken.. at least off the top of my head.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
DXoverDY said:
AppleWorks and World Book are included on iMac's, or iBooks. Not the Powerbooks or PowerMacs. You either misunderstood or the person at the apple store gave you the wrong information.

The Power series come with Quickbooks, GraphicConverter, and a few other applications. the i series has World Book, AppleWorks and Quicken.. at least off the top of my head.

And SoundStudio, and a couple of video games you're obliged to delete :rolleyes: for the i's. A very nice off-the-top-of-ones'-head list. :) Actually, I guess as of Tiger, I'm going to delete all of this software except for SoundStudio, as that's the only one I even rarely use. Having purchased Office.X and later 2004, I just never even run AW. I suppose I can sell Brian my license for $10 somehow? :)

Oh, and natch, they all come with iLife, which isn't getting deleted...well, maybe GarageBand, if I run out of disk space... :rolleyes:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Those programs don't come with the PowerBooks or PowerMacs, but if the salesman told you that they do, and your decision to buy was partially based on that information (as it sounds like), you have a right to complain, and if I were you I would do so.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
There is a 30 day trial of Office 2004 included with (I believe) all macs; it may not be installed by default though, but it's definitely on my Rev.D Powerbook's disc. (I choose to install it, but not run it, because that lets me disable the ad-banner in MSN messenger, and if I don't run it, it never expires)

As for AppleWorks; it's not very good; if you're looking to just type up a quick letter (nothing fancy) you can use TextEdit. It may be basic, but it's got simple layout options, and has spellchecking, which is all some people need.

You might want to see if iWork '05 will suit your needs, look at purchasing office for mac, or if you really want it, AppleWorks.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The Office trial comes with the Power models but not with the i models, if I remember correctly. It definitely didn't come with my iBook, but that might've just been because it was so long ago.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nermal said:
The Office trial comes with the Power models but not with the i models, if I remember correctly. It definitely didn't come with my iBook, but that might've just been because it was so long ago.

I don't think mine had one either. I'm not sure, but there was all this stuff about running the Office trial breaking the installation of a real copy of Office, if it isn't uninstalled properly, and I don't remember having to do anything special.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think they supplied an installer for the trial, but didn't actually install it.

It'll be interesting to see whether future models will still come with the Office trial. The Tiger retail box includes an iWork trial, so Apple may replace the Office trial with iWork.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
mduser63 said:
Those programs don't come with the PowerBooks or PowerMacs, but if the salesman told you that they do, and your decision to buy was partially based on that information (as it sounds like), you have a right to complain, and if I were you I would do so.
But most places don't do much about misstatements by salesmen, especially when it's so easy to check the info yourself.

The salesman can often be wrong in retail, since they are told what they know and how to push a product.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Um...

Yeah, ever think about reading the box? It's quite informative about what is included...

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Nermal said:
It came with my iMac G5 (launch machine) as well as my Powerbook, which is why I made that assumption. It could be something they've only started doing more recently though.

On my iMac G5 it was installed by default, on the Powerbook, it was on the disc, but not installed.

brian4610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
appleretailguy said:
Yeah, ever think about reading the box? It's quite informative about what is included...

sure, i read the box......after i spent $2800 on the computer i thought had 'works' and 'world book' etc......

it's just another example of how incompitent apple retail employee's are....no idea about any of the products they are pushing...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
brian4610 said:
sure, i read the box......after i spent $2800 on the computer i thought had 'works' and 'world book' etc......

it's just another example of how incompitent apple retail employee's are....no idea about any of the products they are pushing...

The same could be said for the majority of retail employees I've come across. They're not well paid and they don't want to be there. I never trust a salesman to know what he's talking about and am constantly amazed that I know more about their product than they do a lot of the time.

ladyvolcc

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
apple retail employees

Originally Posted by brian4610

and

The same could be said for the majority of retail employees I've come across. They're not well paid and they don't want to be there. I never trust a salesman to know what he's talking about and am constantly amazed that I know more about their product than they do a lot of the time.

----------------------------------------------
You can pull up the specs on any computer in the store to see what's in the box. No way would I pay $2800 for a computer without knowing that. If you wanted apps like Appleworks, World Book, and Quicken, sounds like you'd be better off buying the 'consumer' series, i.e. the iBook (and saving about $1000) rather than the 'pro' series, which is geared toward "professionals" who generally use more robust programs such as Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, etc.

Regarding the comments about low pay and not wanting to be there, most of us have a primary job and we work at the Apple store because it is a fun place to work (at least our store is), we're passionate about Macs, and we love sharing that info with others and helping them to see how the Mac can benefit them, if they're not already Mac users.

Regarding "misinformation", we are well-trained on our product lines. Not to say no mistakes are ever made, but it is possible that you either had a new salesperson or you misunderstood the software contained on each laptop. You also obviously didn't do any research on your own, because simply looking at the Apple Store page on the website tells you what software comes with each machine. There's no confusion there. It is clearly spelled out. YFI. :cool:

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
andrewfee said:
As for AppleWorks; it's not very good; if you're looking to just type up a quick letter (nothing fancy) you can use TextEdit. It may be basic, but it's got simple layout options, and has spellchecking, which is all some people need.

TextEdit in Tiger is supposed to be even better that the previous versions.

TextEdit has been improved a lot in Tiger, this new version (1.4), allows editing of document properties, adding or editing of tables, spacing, lists, links and other things. Other features like printing page numbers are also available. Considering TextEdit has had .doc file format support since version 1.3

Macosxrumours posted a screenshot a while back:

textedit.jpg

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In regards to MacSA's post, is TextEdit still *fast* in Tiger? I find it frustrating that text editors in systems always get feature laden and slow.... This is as someone who has Word on the computer, already, natch. In that case, I don't need a lot of features in something like TextEdit, but I want it to open and close lightning-fast with small documents. I found it really annoying in Windows that the simpler text editor (notepad?) had a cap on file size that was small enough to frequently necessitate the larger, slower one (wordpad?)....

But anyways, back to the topic, I don't think its an excuse for salespeople at electronics stores misleading you, but I try never to buy anything at an in-person electronics store, except the ones that are small high-end kind of shops, without having already gotten there knowing as much as humanly possible about what I want. Even in those small stores, where I think it is safe to ask for advice, I usually don't buy without trying to get external confirmation of the advice. The information is too readily available about computers, in particular. There are so many reviews, commentaries, forum posts and blogs about computers, especially Apples, and it's so easy to get confirmation, that passing the chance seems ... less than optimal. Especially if I were buying a $2800 computer. That's not exactly an impulse buy, or a newbies' buy. Newbies don't need $2800 computers...they're much better off with iBooks. People who do need such computers ought to know enough about them to not have this kind of issue -- if not pre-purchase, at least soon after purchase. To me, buying such an expensive computer and being spec-ignorant, etc, is sort of like buying a $50k sports car and complaining that it's a PITA to use for getting groceries, because it doesn't have grocery nets in the trunk and it doesn't have a DVD player to occupy the kids.

But, that's not an excuse for being lied too -- its just a reason why you shouldn't put yourself in that position. There are always store employees who have every opportunity to know information, but who operate in a culture of not caring about providing it to customers, or misleading them, in too many computer stores. I think people like ladyvolcc and appleretailguy are the exception to that rule, rather than evidence against it, but that Apple stores have a much better culture about this than Best Buy or Circuit City.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sorry, but bottom line thing for Brian. If you want a full refund, because this makes the computer an unacceptable or unusable deal in your mind, I think you're entitled to one, and no one is arguing with that. It isn't BTO, is it? Apple has a good refund policy. If you want your money back, go get it. If you want this as an excuse to turn the screws on someone and get a refund, good luck, but sorry that I am not overly sympathetic.

brian4610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Sorry, but bottom line thing for Brian. If you want a full refund, because this makes the computer an unacceptable or unusable deal in your mind, I think you're entitled to one, and no one is arguing with that. It isn't BTO, is it? Apple has a good refund policy. If you want your money back, go get it. If you want this as an excuse to turn the screws on someone and get a refund, good luck, but sorry that I am not overly sympathetic.

i'm not looking for a refund at all, the PB is still great, it was just disappointing that you spend almost 3k on a computer and it doesnt' have a solid word processing format....

as for the comments on how "well trained" apple employee's at the apple retail store, maybe the funniest thing that has been written in this forum.....I have yet to run into anyone who knows anything there.....I was looking at the PB yesterday and asked if worldbook came with the pb, and he says "everything you see here comes with"....i.e. word, excell, final cut, iwork, etc...i've seen this employee at the store for 5 months, and he thinks that all that software comes with? These collection of min. wage workes are unqualified to be working there.....in fact, all that i have spoke with never even owned a mac until they started working there!! Total Jokes.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
This can really only be half the salesperson's fault ... I mean if you had done any research on the issue, you would have noticed this ... and If all of your research pointed to the fact that it didn't come with this software but a SALES person convinced you otherwise then you need to start being more paranoid about sales people. I mean come on your going to trust someone ready to move $2800 in merchandise ... always be suspicious and always do your research ....

also two things:
1. appleworks is piss poor ... its a relic of OS9
2. I have worldbook because encylopedias are for kids and high schoolers.

brian4610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Kwyjibo said:
This can really only be half the salesperson's fault ... I mean if you had done any research on the issue, you would have noticed this ... and If all of your research pointed to the fact that it didn't come with this software but a SALES person convinced you otherwise then you need to start being more paranoid about sales people. I mean come on your going to trust someone ready to move $2800 in merchandise ... always be suspicious and always do your research ....

also two things:
1. appleworks is piss poor ... its a relic of OS9
2. I have worldbook because encylopedias are for kids and high schoolers.

Let me clairify:

On a scale from 1-10, this issue for me was about a 4.....word processing is NOT a major thing for me, and not the reason i bought my PB.....So, when i knew all the software that i was needing was on there, i took the employee's word that 'works' and other were on the PB....I did 6 months of research for this purchase, again word processing was not my main intentions of the purchase....but you would think that you would have SOMETHING other then text edit with a purchase like this.....It was disappointing not to find them on there, but by no means a deal breaker...

It's just sad that apple has people speaking on their behalf who know nothing...in fact, if i didn't talk with more then one computer expert (outside of apple) i would have never bought a mac....My first day of research i went into the apple store and ask simple questions like...Can i trasfer my pc ipod to a new mac, reply "nope, you have to reload everthing manually, there is no 3rd party software available either to do it"....now, i understand that the ipod is not intended to load up another computer but serioulsy give me a break.....when asked the difference between the ibook and powerbook...reply "one is faster then the other..." Now, i had no idea what the differences were, so it took a while to know that these employees were pretty clueless....

sure, there might be a few who know what they are talking about, but apple has HAD to have lost buisness (not that there sales have struggled) with these people roaming the sales floor.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.