Told this today, BS or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vstephenson, May 5, 2012.

1. vstephenson macrumors member

Hi, need a bit if advice...
    went into a carphone warehouse today and asked this question...

If i buy an unlocked iphone 4s can I use it on my uk carrier and then, when Im working in Sweden, simply put in my local swedish sim (Telia) and continue using the phone (diff number etc etc) so I can avoid the huge roaming charges?

I was told "definitley not, once you put a sim card in, the phone will lock to that carrier, furthermore, since the 4s, you cannot put an international sim card in while away either"

Smelled like BS to me, called Apple, told I coud do exactly ehat I wanted to do IF i bought an unlocked phone from them (Apple) only.

Not sure I understood why one "unlocked" phone would be different from another.

Does anyone have a view on ths advice Ive been given or use a 4s in tbe manner Ive described I want to?

Cheers for any advice, tried searching but a lot is conflicting and i got more confused (its my age)

Cheers
    Vin

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's bs.
    If its really a factory unlocked iPhone it will never lock to any carrier and will accept all gsm sims.
    Get one from Apple to be 100%.

3. vstephenson thread starter macrumors member

Speedy reply, ta!

So, a follow up if i may, if im at the airport at Schipol tomorrow and buy an unlocked 4s I can use it in Sweden and then on a UK carrier when I get home in a few weeks, and then swap back again in sweden ok?

Dont HAVE to buy it from Apple?

Cheers much!!
    Vin

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Carphone Warehouse may have the same deal that some companies have reported, that the phones they have in store are actually unlocked until activated with a SIM Card. The phones from Apple are completely unlocked when purchased as such.

TEG

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

yup

6. vstephenson thread starter macrumors member

So it may not be bs, just specific to how CW has their agreement with Apple?

Ok, thanks

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The BS part is that CW is not selling a factory unlocked iphone.
    It just locks to the first sim you put in to activate it.
    That's straight up deceiving the customer.