Told to shut down my Mac in various languages!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rainguards, May 29, 2010.

1. rainguards macrumors newbie

Hello, I have an I Book G4 and am not having much luck with it! I have had these grey shut down notices before, which led to freezing and loss of applications. I had it in to a Mac store where they told me I had serious hard drive damage (? hardly used, may have been dropped with out my knowledge..) They were able to fix it, and its been great for over 10 months now.
    Today I was in my yahoo msgr account and wanted to open safari. My screen went grey and told me to shut down. Bad sign right?
    I cant seem to find anything that is a panic file in my history, but in my logs, for that crash it did say= Reason: Data stall on channel 7 while on a call, and then it lists a bunch about various signal strengths..

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, while a kernel panic (the crash you're describing) can be caused by hardware problems, if it has (thus far) only happened once in the last 10 months I wouldn't start worrying yet. While rare, panics do occur at random once in a rare while, either due to system-level bugs or random RAM/drive/other hardware glitches.

Now, if you start getting more of them, time to start troubleshooting. First step would be to run Disk Utility when booted from an OS install disc and see if it finds and/or fixes any problems. If nothing comes up, then the drive is probably ok; if it does, it could be corruption unrelated to hardware problems unless you see other symptoms of a failing drive--hard to say without using it for a while to see.

3. rainguards thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice. I will not panic unless it starts to happen a bit more!