Tom Bihn Brain Cell vs SFbags Sleevecase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oinkcluckmoobah, Jun 10, 2007.

1. oinkcluckmoobah macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a 15.4" macbook pro, and I'm deciding which of these two to get. I want something that will usually sit in a backpack, BUT if need be can be carried on its own. I'm having a ton of trouble deciding, but by and large I've narrowed it down to one of these two (unless someone can really convince me otherwise). My question is which should I get? How do they compare in space, protection, size, ease of use, craftsmanship, etc? Is one better for certain situations over the other? any other comments about these two products?

2. tehdee macrumors member

im actually in a pretty convenient position to answer this question, as i purchased the sf waterfield designs sleeve for my girlfriend's 15" mbp, and the tom binh for myself...

the sf bags sleeve is just that-- a sleeve. if dropped, it would offer about 1/4 of the protection that the binh sleeve would. that being said, this sleeve is thin, and can easily be slid in and out of backpacks and bags, etc... the interior of the sleeve is as smooth as a baby's behind, and with the vertical velcro flap, dirt or anything would never get in. (i would def. choose the vertical opening over the horizontal).

the tom binh bag has a couple advantages in my opinion. it is about twice as thick as the waterfield sleeve, but that is because of padding and a harder 'shell' than the waterfield case provides. (i wouldnt be as wary dropping it, or packing it in luggage in the binh bag). furthermore, the brain cell has rings on either side near the zipper for attaching a shoulder strap. this way, the sleeve-case can be used by itself over your shoulder, or slid into a knapsack or whatever... a big bonus.

the customer service from both suppliers was incredible. as is the crafstmanship, ship times, etc...

either way you can't lose.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm a big fan of Tom Bihn's stuff. The brain cell is pretty nice.

4. oinkcluckmoobah thread starter macrumors newbie

for the vertical brain cell, is it bulky? from pictures it seems like the sleevecase is more adequate as a standalone but I've never seen the vertical brain cell used as a shoulder case...just wondering if it's at all strange or if it actually functions pretty well. I'm still unsure of which way I lean