Tom Binh Brain Cell orientation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Agali, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Agali macrumors newbie

I Googled this to no avail so I thought I'd ask on the forum.

I have a rMBP(2.6/8/512) and want to purchase a very rugged case for it to protect against scratches and dents. I was originally looking at the Thule work in case but the zipper issues dissuaded me from purchasing it. I then purchased a Booq Cobra Hardcase M, another work in case, but it did not fit the computer properly so I returned it.

Now I am thinking of buying the Tom Binh Brain Cell. I don't know whether I'm going to use a backpack or messenger bag yet (I'm matriculating into college this fall) so I'm not sure which Brain Cell to purchase.

My question to you folks is whether the Vertical Brain Cell will still be fairly protective while horizontally oriented (say, in a messenger bag) and vice versa. My main reason for buying this case is to protect against scratches and dents, so diminished shock absorption from drops is not a real concern for me.

Does anyone have any experience that can speak to this question? Thank you so much!

2. Fatt macrumors member

I haven't gotten my vertical Brain Cell yet, but it will be coming in on Wednesday. I think you should try and figure out what type of bag you will be using for sure before choosing your Brain Cell. The "bottom" of the Brain Cell is more padded, and the sling only keeps the notebook on a "suspension" when used in the right orientation. So using a vertical Brain Cell in the horizontal orientation, should give you the same protection from compression but won't actually have the notebook suspended within the sleeve. But if your not concerned about dropping your bag, or putting it down a bit too quickly I'm sure the Brain Cell has enough padding on the sides to keep it relatively protected. However it would still be best to use the right Brain Cell, I mean no one ever actually plans to drop their bag, but it can happen unfortunately.

Being that the rMBP isn't super light, I'd much prefer a backpack over a shoulder bag for carrying around all day with a couple text books. I will be using my vertical Brain Cell with a North Face Surge II backpack. Which I haven't tested yet, but from the dimensions on the Tom Bihn website, should fit very nicely in the laptop compartment. Will definitely post back here when my Brain Cell comes in!

3. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

either one will be fine, I have the vertical and put it in a north face backpack before putting it in a smart Alec (designed w the brain cell in mind).

If you put a vertical in a horizontal it will be protected, but consider the fact that you will have to take the brain cell out every single time you take the laptop out or put it back

4. Agali thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good point, but that's still not a huge concern for me. I'm mainly worried about how great the "compromise in protection" (as the company says on its website) is.

5. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

the padding on the open end (where the flaps are) is not as strong as the others (there's no cardboard in the flaps), but other than that I don't think there's really any compromise, and it should be helped with any protection from your bag.

6. Agali thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see. Well, in that case, I guess Ill go ahead and order one. Before I do though, can anyone share their opinion on the Waterfield SleeveCase vs the Vertical Brain Cell? I know this comparison has been done to death but past threads were pretty inconclusive.

7. Fatt macrumors member

I got my Brain Cell in today, and it is even better than I had expected. I'd say even the flaps at the opening even offer protection equal to the sides (padding is actually thicker than the sides when closed). The only thing I noticed that was different from what I expected (however it is mentioned on the website :p), was the sides of case, while still padded very well, does not have the hard plastic shell on the sides, but only on the bottom, front, and rear. Not an all an issue for using it vertically, but you will lose the hard "bottom" using it horizontally. It even fits perfectly in my Surge II backpack, overall I'm extremely pleased.

8. Spikey8D macrumors newbie

So my rMBP is on it's way, the thing is I fell in love with the Booq Cobra M. It would work just right for me - a hard-ish case that has attachable handles and looks well made, but I also want to make sure I get the right fit.
    Is it impossible? Could you tell me more about what the fit was like? I don't really care about using it in the case.