Tom Clancy fans, do you know Jack?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Dec 5, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Help me fill out Jack's resume since he is currently out of work.

Feel free to make any correct changes. :)

Attached Files:

2. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

What, no Jack Ryan fans? :)

Anyway, what's so funny about this resume is that there is more than any one person can do in a lifetime. Also what's funny is that Jack Ryan seems to get younger each decade in the movies. Go figure.

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I have every novel in the series. Jack Ryan is awesome. Its a shame that Mr. Clancy stopped the story after The Teeth of the Tiger. That was an awesome novel. I was looking forward to the next book. I hope there is one.

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

What's to tell? Reluctant hero, President Emeritus, apolitical, Mr. Everyman and James Bond, with a hint of Audie Murphy, all rolled up into one. Married a super-smart supermodel. Rich. Knighted. Honest, and humble. Underdog and Shoe-shine boy.

Yeah, I want to be him when I grow up... next time.

5. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Is it really meant to be the same Jack Ryan in all the books? I thought he just re-used characters names and backgrounds, but they weren't necessarily meant to be the same characters. I mean, John Clark is Rainbow Six, but in The Sum of All Fears he's also Jack Ryan's driver or something like that, IIRC. Doesn't jive, does it?

6. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

They are, IMO, the same guy. They cross-reference a lot throughout the books and stories. Almost all the books make reference to Jack's adventures with the Irish terrorists. There are several memes that run throughout most of the books.

Just because it's all chronologically impossible doesn't mean it ain't fun...

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Yes it is meant to be the same Jack Ryan. Rainbow Six is after Executive Orders, when Jack is President. Sum of All Fears is two books before Executive Orders, so it all adds up.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

He's alright. Cussler puts me to sleep, though...

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Don't forget: National Security Advisor, stock market whiz, and Vice President (for about 15 minutes or so?).
    Well, Sum of All Fears occurs before the other movies, so it makes sense.

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Cool, NSA Advisor, too? I knew there would be other stuff I missed. I don't where or when that occurred, but just add it on the resume attachment.

It's in MS Word for Mac format, and if you don't have that program, just PM me, or post here, and I will try and add that one more job title. Much of the resume doesn't have exact dates due to my lack of knowledge of the Jack Ryan character.

12. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

13. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Are you kidding?? Dirk Pitt is spectacular, and those books are much more fun (and funny) to me than the Tom Clancy ones...

It made me pretty sad when Dirk Pitt got retired (as the hero anyways), although Kurt Austin is amusing too.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Aren't you supposed to be studying for law exams?

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Have you read any of the books that focus on the characters from "The Corporation" (first introduced in Flood Tide)? I read The Golden Bhuda, and it was a lot of fun... love that concept!

I read a bunch of the Cussler books, but after a bit they get very formulaic. :/

OTOH, never gotten through an entire Clancy novel, but the movies are always pretty good. :confused: Maybe I should start The Bear and the Dragon again, it's been a fear years since I picked it up...

16. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Oh man, you are missing the best of it. As always, the book is moon, stars, and several major planets better that the movie version. Clear and Present Danger, the movie, just plain blew bears. Loved the book, hated the movie. Patriot Games wasn't too too bad, but they still scrimped way too much. Red October was about the best Clancy story ever put to film. And they screwed that up as well.

I'd like to see Red Storm Rising put to film, but the world has changed too much for that (thankfully!) -- no one but us old farts would even get it. Probably Clancy's best work, and it had nothing to do with Clark, Chavez, Ryan, or Greer and the Gang.

17. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Absolutely. Contract law O-OO-A-consideration-section 90-statute of frauds-UCC-parole evidence rule, and defenses

Torts - intentional, strict liability, and intentional torts, and defenses

Crim Law - Big 5, murder, FFELLMR, DEMSOP, and Felony Murder Rule

...and MBA studies, Finance and capital budgeting, cash flow, and formulas to match.

Yes, I am busy, but never too busy for MR. :)

And law school sucks but MBA stuff is OK but not real world. :)

And law school makes you make 2 page essays where 4 would do in IRAC and MBA school makes you do 15 page papers where 8 would do in the HBS PAAC case study method. Diametrically opposite and neither being applicable!

OK, ravenvii, test me! :) I will PM my answer to you, and you can determine if I belong on MR during exam week. ;)

18. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

And better than either author is David Baldacci (sp?), but the novel Absolute Power was amazing, perhaps the best of the "who done it" books with the similar theme of pointing fingers at/near the top. I don't want to give anything away. But the movie was a real skimp on the book. If you didn't read the book the movie was fine, maybe even great. I saw The DaVinci Code last night and it was great, but probably only because I didn't read the book. Now I want to read the book.

I can't think of a movie that is better than the book, but I have an imagination so I fill gaps with my mind. A movie spoonfeeds us every detail and in 2, 3, or 4 hours, that's not enough. :)

Sometimes a mini-series is great. I saw Band of Brothers and that makes Saving Private Ryan look like a glorified trailer. And the Band of Brothers, with the extras, with an average viewing time of 15 hours, is a necessary thesis for any WWII historian to watch and either confirm or tear apart. The interviews with the actual surviving Band of Brothers is really amazing.

19. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I've never done that, see the movie first, then read the book. That'd be like opening Christmas presents you bought for yourself.

And you just proven you really are being a good student.... Saturday night, prime party time (might even be able to hear them going on down the hall..), and there you are, in front of your computer... tsk tsk tsk. Go get a beer.:D

20. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I discovered Baldacci by accident. Some Clancy fans love him to death so I bought his first or second novel as Clancy had a million great things to say about him. Amazing and very quick moving stories. The only problem is that they are so complex that it does not lend itself to making a good movie, but maybe a mini-series.