Tom Clancy's The Division

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by The.316, Dec 9, 2013.

1. The.316, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013

The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

This looks absolutely amazing!

These next gen consoles are really going to bring games to life!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Looks good. The delay was certainly worth it.

3. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

This game, the Crew, and Destiny are my always online must-buy games

4. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Gotta get me a damn PS4 first. Its suppose to be released on Friday here in Greece, but who knows when I will get one. The place I use to work is getting two in, but maybe later than Friday, so my buddy is going to hold one for me if I dont have one by then. Good thing about getting it there is that I get it for cost.

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

The engine looks very impressive, this actually gets me excited about the next gen.

Online multiplayer tends to stress me out though. I can't just pause the game to talk to my wife, get a drink, take a leak, kick the dog, etc., when other people are there with me in the action, depending on me to do my part. I also don't want to buy a game that will "expire" in a few years cause the servers are turned off.

An optional online component is fine and can be fun sometimes, but if a game doesn't have a dedicated offline single player mode, it's a no-go for me.

6. thehustleman, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

thehustleman macrumors 65816

Can the 8th gen consoles really be called "next gen" when the generation is here?

Next gen would be the 9th gen right? With the ps5 and Xbox 2.

That game looks amazing though!

That is what an 8th gen game should look like.

I hope the next splinter cell uses this engine

7. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Eh, whatever. My PS3 was still widely considered "next gen" years after I bought it. :p Consoles have a tendency to stay "next gen" for awhile after they're out.

Technically you are right, but it's not like anyone will be confused by my use of "next gen". :)

(EDIT: "Xbox 2" made me chuckle. :D )

8. twietee, Dec 10, 2013

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Graphics looking amazing. You sure that is PS4 footage? Doubt that. Good title for my new PC though...:D

9. MRU, Dec 10, 2013

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it's ps4, there was a developer interview.

Remember whilst a PC can do better, the vast majority of PCs sold these days likely have just onboard graphics. So whilst a a minority of gaming rigged pcs are out there, and furthermore divided by a smaller minority of those gaming rigs again having the new very latest powerful GPU or a SLI rig - the fact remains that the PS4 specs are at least consistent and therefore can be more optimised and tailored for - which means that it does have and will have for a good number of years once more an advantage development wise.

It's always a total oxymoron when people spout PC can do better, because whilst true for a minority, simply put the majority of pcs out there can not, and in fact offer an inconsistent user experience based on the mammoth variables that make up PC hardware, whereas at least 100% of all console owners get the same experience as each other....

Until onboard graphics offer same user experience as the new console gen - for the majority of users the PS4 and Xbone titles are likely going to offer a far better experience than PC except to the tiniest minority who have spent a small fortune on the latest GPU etc.

Even then as development moves to PS4 or Xbone as lead development format in multi-format releases, the chances are as ever that the PC whilst technically more powerful with the right hardware will not offer a great deal more to the table than possible framerate or higher res options.

10. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Amazing if this would be in-game, just saw the thing muted. We'll see.

Don't want to promote PCs or whatever, but I guess most of the PCs used as gaming-rigs for the latest high-end games do have rather good graphic cards on board - lots of them more than one. The vast majority of PCs aren't used for games at all one would think - eventually not even able to boot this kind of games.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah my points were not arguing with you directly, just when we have things like Eurogamer digital foundry comparisons it always strikes me as stupid that they say things like the PC version has the technical advantage, when of course it does when they are playing it on a $2000 gaming rig.

It would be like Top Gear comparing a Fiat Punto, an Opel Corsa and a very expensive and elitist Jaguar XJ1 and then saying the jaguar has a performance advantage.

Then you read the comments to these comparisons on digital foundry and you get posts like
    "Consoles 4 suckers, PC 4 da win"........

The reality still being that yes whilst the top end PC version is going to be prettiest, the majority of PC and laptop owners (seeing as PC wise laptops far outsell desktop these days) are never ever going to be able to experience the game the way digital foundry or whoever else experienced it reviewing PC version.

Whereas at least with a console - every user of that console experiences the game the same way.....

And for developers and end users - that's an advantage, and allows them to push hardware to its limits are far further than ever thought possible.

GTA V is a technical marvel on current gen hardware, now give us a PC version rockstar and let's see how it runs on a striped basic PC that technically is still more powerful than ps3 / 360. I imagine it would be barely playable....

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

What do you think of SteamOS and Steam boxes, then? They're all going to have high-end hardware.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes and will all be priced far higher than consoles, and will be very niche.

Bar few extreme gamers with excessive cash to spend on a Linux box - one which won't run 90% of most PC gamers steam library - and likewise run other PC software (at least justifying cost of a PC in first place with Office or such) then gamers who want a glorified game machine for under the tv running a customised OS for gaming would be better served spending 1/2 as much on the machine and buying a console, or if they are spending €1000 on a steam box, then they likely would be better served with a killer PC that can play everything on steam box and vastly more.....

Steambox will be very niche until it can have all the games coming out on console / run at same 1080p and be under €400 .... Until then it's less of an interesting proposition than the Atari Jaguar and 3DO.

14. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

This looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to play it!