Tom tom car kit for iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mal7896, Sep 21, 2012.

1. mal7896 macrumors newbie

Any one heard if there are plans for an iphone 5 version of the Tom Tom car kit?

Until one is released I'll continue using my old 3GS which works fine without the sim, but I'd prefer to use my new Iphone 5 for GPS :)

2. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Unlikely. They don't even have a car kit for iPhone 4/4S available in the US. Not sure why they have it on sale only in the UK but the price is pretty steep.

3. mal7896 thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like this would work with iphone 5 ,
    with the lightning adapter

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/tomtom-smartphone-cradle/

I would expect Tom Tom to release a model soon with the lightning interface specifically for iphone 5

4. Djs621 macrumors regular

What makes you think that would work with the iPhone 5? No lightning and the taller form factor won't accommodate it

5. iPeak macrumors newbie

TomTom 3G carkit used for iPhone 4

Have been using the 3G TomTom Carkit for iPhone 4.
    Just apply two pieces of small thin bits of velcro on the bottom switch.
    One piece stick to the switch side (iPhone 3G still fits), apply non sticking bit on de other velcro piece. Now it is thick enough to enable the switch for iPhone 4/S.

6. iPeak, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

iPeak macrumors newbie

Lightning to 30 pins works with Tom Tom carkit

Checked it out today: the lightning to 30 pins adapter works on the 3G/4 model of the tom tom car kit. Again an extra piece of velcro is your friend to enable the switch. Next step is to modify (lengthen) the holder to hold the iPhone 5. A nice fitting shell for the adapter matching the tom tom carkit style/color would be nice as well. Charging, audio and tom tom function works.
    (video output is not supported through the adapter (per spec)).

update: Used it for a couple of months. Modified holder doesn't look optimal.
    Also the audio function became unreliable after a while.
    Updated solution in the next post.

7. D-Back macrumors member

D-Back

Can you take a picture of your setup? My tom tom kit is sitting around since I upgraded to the iphone 5

8. iPeak, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

iPeak macrumors newbie

New ipphone 5 and car audio solution !

Brodit iPhone 5 holder model 514433 (for Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter)

Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter (0.2 m)

3-in-1-usb-3-5mm-aux-audio-data-charger-cable-for-ipod-iphone-2g-3g-3gs-black-1-2m-34654
    or
    car-aux-cable-usb-male-to-3-5mm-audio-30-pin-male-w-car-charger-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-white-179367

Holder: ~USD 50
    Apple Cable Lightn-30p ~ USD 39
    30p -audio/usb cable ~USD 4
    --------------------------------------------- +
    ~USD 93

9. Vomesk, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

Vomesk macrumors newbie

Hi, I was using tomtom car kit with ipod touch 4g but the ipod broke down so now i have ipod touch 5g and no gps anymore on my car haha.

I've tried with an lightning-30pin adapter from ebay but is only charges. After i realized that adapter is not original and it only supports charging and sincro. As i read 3 post before, if I buy the original one, Will it work with my tomtom car kit and ipod touch 5g?

You mean tomtom works on your iphone with the internal GPS or in the tomtom Car kit tool it says Docked and there is data flow?