Tom Tom Car Kit

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tigerdaly, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Tigerdaly macrumors newbie

Is anyone buying the app software or are you like me waiting untill the car kit unveiled and ready for buying.
    It seems very odd that they have relesed the software before the kit is on sale, considering Apple had a lot of hang ups with allowing the software being posted on the apps store for fear of claims due to a safety accident caused by the software.:confused:
    Why would they release it and allow users to chase their iphone around the footwell or car pocket or even hold it in their hands and not deem it un safe.
    Come on Apple and it's suppliers get a shake on and release the car kit.:mad:

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Apple has nothing to do with the release of TomTom's car kit.

Ask TomTom about that one.

3. RangerXML macrumors regular

I think there is a simple reason behind why the TomTom app came out before the Car Kit and that has to do with the App Store approval process. TomTom simply did not have a clue when there app was going to be released. We can expect the Car kit to be available any day now.

I'm trying to decide if I should wait to see if there is a discount for buying the Car Kit with the app.

4. Tigerdaly thread starter macrumors newbie

I fully understand that Apple are not producing either the software or the car kit, however due to the fact that they are for the sole use of the iphone they should have made a few calls between them selves and try to coordinate the launch in a more professional manner.
    Regardless of who is writing and producing it is an Apple application and it will reflect more on the iphone and Apple than Tom Tom.

I personally will wait until the total package is launched, for one I want it to be mounted and seemless and for another, there might be some packed bundles saving some dosh.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You appear to be under the impression that Apple really gives a damn about Tom Tom and their app.
    Also, it is not an Apple app, it is Tom Tom's app that runs on Apple hardware and if it fails, it will be Tom Tom that takes the heat, not Apple.
    Again... you over estimate the apps importance.

6. Maverickster macrumors regular

It's a flagship app for Apple. It was announced side-by-side with the 3GS at WWDC. Apple rarely shares the stage with anyone. That alone should tell you something. Add to that the fact that Apple is taking a healthy % on the sales of what's gotta be one of the more pricey apps in the app store, and I think you're dramatically underestimating the importance Apple places on it.

That said, I don't think for a second that the typical mystery involving release of apps from the app approval process has anything to do with the delay in the car kit. Both Apple and TomTom knew in advance exactly when the app was going to be released. It was poor planning, though, not to have the car kit ready to go. That thing could've been developed and ready for production months ago (months in advance of the 3GS in fact).

--Mav

7. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Exactly. If TomTom fails or has problems, it makes Apple look bad considering they announced it right at the WWDC.

8. Tigerdaly thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it is you that under estimates the importance of this app.
    Apple didn't invite Tom Tom into it's keynote address without realising the importance of this tie up between Tom Tom and Apple.
    This application is a key application for Apple as it again will entice more and more buyers due to it's ever advancing versatility.
    Also Tom Tom will not under estimate the importance of being able to tie in with the iphone band wagon and having its brand associated with such a technologic company and such a premium market place leader.

We all understand that Tom Tom is Tom Tom and Apple is Apple however the behind the scenes handshaking should not be discounted. I am just very surprised that they didn't bother to make sure it was a seamless launch.
    It's shown both companies to have flaws in its once thought immaculate distribution and launch network.

Come on Tom Tom get the kit on sale.

9. Tigerdaly thread starter macrumors newbie

As a bit of a follow up on this matter.
    I contacted Tom Tom and asked for information on the car kit only to receive the reply.
    "We don't know a time or date of it's release but it will be sometime later in the year."
    Later in the year .................................:mad::eek: Your having a laugh

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

from the pictures i ve seen of the car kit it seems it wont work if you have a case on the phone... that would totally suck...

11. RangerXML macrumors regular

Meh, I use a slighting leather case with flip cover for work, easy enough to get off.

Where the heck is this dock already, was using TomTom yesterday? Set it in my FM transmitter dock and it set it spinning with the app finally ending facing the wrong way. Happens with google maps, the compass and other GPS apps I have.