tom tom kit vs magellan iphone gps kit ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Nov 17, 2010.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I purchased the iphone tom tom app a few months ago after my gps unit got stolen out of my car. I went into the nyc this past weekend and I kept losing gps signal and my iphone ran hot. I am considering one of these gps kits. Which one boosts your signal well and also charges iphone. looking forward to reading the opinions and reviews.

thanks..

2. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

4. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I have the TomTom and find it is does a very good job with GPS and audio. I have an AUX input on my stereo so that is largely why I got the kit. The GPS functionality is more or less a bonus on my iPhone 4, but a huge plus with my wife's original iPhone.

It does charge the phone, but if you play music, have the screen brightness up, and navigation working it won't charge much. I found on a recent drive across LA it started at 10% and when I got home about an hour later it was not much more than 10%. However had I not used the kit it would have gone dead in minutes.

Only drawback is the fixed size. No cases allowed! My wife always uses a case and at times I do too. I would consider the Magellan (and that would allow us both to keep one in our car) too. I just got a great deal on the TomTom and the Magellan is harder to find and 2x what I paid for my TomTom.