Tomorrow, first mac buy. Help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hushbull, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hushbull macrumors member

Hushbull

I'm very certain I want a 2.5 version of the mbp. What I haven't decided on is whether to go with the 15 inch or 17inch.
    Pro/cons of either?
    Screen size isn't the main point. I'll be on the move with it sometimes, but I don't think the larger size/weight would bother me much. I would also like the extra amount of screen, I won't have an external display right off...

Is one more prone to defects than the other, anything different about the two in terms of performance, given they have the same specs?

Also, to throw in...whatcha think of Time Capsule?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

Okay, there is one perk.

Anything else, no matter how small. ?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 17" since has a counter-balance hinge and the 15" has a friction hinge; layman explanation, you can line on your back and use your 15" on your perched up lap; on the 17" the screen will just close.

Also the 17" runs a bit cooler because of the larger cooling area, it also supports 12.5mm HDDs.

The 15" SuperDrive has a Region-Free firmware available; it's smaller; if you don't get the 17" High Resolution LED, the 15" will have better battery life.

17" has 4 speaker and woofers, 15" just 2 speakers.

17" a lot bulkier and heavier; it is noticeable. 15" uses an Atheros WiFi card usually and the 17" usually uses a Broadcom card; Broadcom cards have better reception and speed usually.

A good router with a crappy ass slow back up and file transfer rate; let's just say backing up to iDisk is faster. WiFi to iDisk takes say 15 min for a 1GB file, Time Capsule will take like 2 hours.

I would recommend against it entirely.

5. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

That was the feeling I was gathering from many reviews.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Anyone who think "17" a lot bulkier and heavier; it is noticeable" probably need to go to the gym. The weight difference is around 1 pound.

The 17" MBP weights the same as many 15" and some 14" PC laptops.

7. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

Bulkiness would bother me more than the weight.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please don't get me wrong; it's sleek and all, but if carry a 15" around in your hand for a couple minutes and then a 17", you'll notice the difference; the 17" won't always fit in backpacks, etc.

Oh not to mention the tray table on most planes are too small for the 17"; they usually barely fit the 15" if at all.

9. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

F'n planes!

10. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on making the decision to purchase your first Mac !!! :D

11. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

I asked via apple store chat about both of these.
    He said that the speakers were exactly the same...? :confused:
    He also said they didn't have information about the wifi cards...hmmm, strange.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

so speaker wise, the 15" doesnt have a subwoofer?

2 speakers are fine with me but if it doesnt have the subwoofer thats sucks

13. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You probably shouldn't compare the different WiFi chipsets or the speakers in order to make your decision. It's just a matter of asking yourself; Do you like a lot of screen real estate and power? Speakers are decent, but nothing in comparison to a real stereo system. WiFi chips are going to work great, the reception is just a matter of the environment.

15" - 1440x900 with lots of power, but not as much as you can pack into a 17" 2.5GHz tops, while you can go to 2.6GHz in the 17". Weight = 5.4lbs / 1" thick.

or

17" 1680x1050 with tons of power, but not a "HD" screen. Same resolution panel that are in the 20" monitors. Weight = 6.8 lbs. Still 1" thick.

or

17" 1920x1200 so called "HD" screen since you can watch full 1080 video without resizing it to fit. Lots of power too! Resolution of a 23" (ACD) or 24" monitor. A $100 add on, I believe.

Also, is price a deciding factor for your purchase? If you really need screen real estate and won't be having a external monitor - then the base 17" might be for you. We really can't make a decision for you, but it's great that you are asking for every detail - no matter how minor.

14. ssacong macrumors newbie

I purchased the 15' macbook pro(low-end model) yesterday, which is on the way.
    I decided to go with 15' since I would rather get a extra lcd monitor with saved money. I've heard also people saying that 2.4ghz and 2.5ghz models are not different much in terms of speed and power. so the extra money can go to more ram and other accessories.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Damn, that's a fast iDisk :eek:

16. Hushbull thread starter macrumors member

Hushbull

Wifi chipsets and speakers aren't the deciding factors for me. But, since I am going refurb there is only a few hundred dollars between the 15" and 17". Therefore, I would like to know all the small differences...it could or couldn't add up to me purchasing one or the other.

17. elmz macrumors regular

When I first got a MBP I thought "bigger is better!" I later realized "bigger is heavier!" I know it doesn't sound like much but it felt like I was hunking around the 17' MBP. The screen size was nice and the higher resolution made a huge difference. But it just never felt like a laptop to me.

I now have the 15' MBP and I think its just right...but that's just me.

18. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Don't even try to pretend that laptop sound is going to be usable, "subwoofer" or not. Its an inch thick, you aren't given any room to work with speakers. Synopsis - they both sound crappy and you won't be able to tell the difference between the 15 and 17's speakers.

Wifi is negligible too. The biggest differences are... screen size and resolution!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well they don't advertise it, but if you open the computers up the 17" has 4 speakers because there is space for it. I didn't say it sounded any better, just that it's got more speakers.

Just a fast WiFi ;)

20. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Perhaps worth noting that you get more battery life out of a 15 inch than the 17. Also worth noting that the 15 inch models have LED screen while the 17 only offers it as a BTO. Conversely, the 17 inch models tend to have a bigger standard HD.

As the owner of a 15 inch model who carries it around, let me tell you something - size matters. The size & weight of it do take their toll. If you are traveling with it a lot and plan on carrying it around, think smaller.