Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chitown23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
ipad 1 announced on 1/27. I realize that apple typically does not announce the next generation as early, but now would be the right time to announce the ipad 2 in apple's annual delivery. I don't know that I can wait til 4/30 for ipad2 and just might get over myself and pony up.

What say you?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What I say?

that no such announcement will be made.

Now that apple has a shipping product, they're not about to announce an iPad 2 in January with a April release date - that would kill off all sales of the iPad, i.e., the Osborne effect (google it)

I think apple will time the announcement closer to the release date of the iPad 2 and consensus seems to indicate that it will be in the April time frame.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The announcement won't be before Feb 10 - i.e. after the releease of the Verizon iPhone, as that would steal the latter's thunder. Plus, it's way too early to announce for an April release.

We''l probably the a middle of March announcement.

Tony

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Probably won't be announced more than a week or two before they ship, just enough time to let the retail stores coordinate and give everyone time to line up. :)

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Apple rev announcements have far shorter lead times. V1.0 was a spanking new product. A revolution. We all needed time to digest, and devs needed time to ramp up the apps.

iPad 2 will be announced very shortly before shipping. My guess is two weeks or less bt announcement and shipping, otherwise existing sales crater for way too long. Period. Best guess: announcement on the first Tuesday after April 1.

chitown23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Agree on the cannibalization of the ipad1 sales, but 2 weeks is a little short? I suppose when they announce the new iphones they usually announce beginning of June and release the product end of month. Also agree on the 2/10 verizon date and definitely not coming sooner.

All good responses. I guess its wishful thinking - do I bite the bullet and just get a refurb wifi only or wait 3 months. I can't believe I've held off this long.

chitown23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Also could have swore I read this somewhere that it may only be released to apple stores initially and then to larger b&m/online stores much later (like Oct) - not sure where I read this - but is this even a possibility?

No contract, maybe to drive better foot/website traffic, but why would they ever do this?

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Agree on the cannibalization of the ipad1 sales, but 2 weeks is a little short? I suppose when they announce the new iphones they usually announce beginning of June and release the product end of month. Also agree on the 2/10 verizon date and definitely not coming sooner.

All good responses. I guess its wishful thinking - do I bite the bullet and just get a refurb wifi only or wait 3 months. I can't believe I've held off this long.

My question is why people think the ipad would "be stealing the thunder" out of the verizon iphone. The verizon iphone is NOT new tech! its the same 7 month old iphone 4 just on verizon... I can see a early February release.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
My question is why people think the ipad would "be stealing the thunder" out of the verizon iphone. The verizon iphone is NOT new tech! its the same 7 month old iphone 4 just on verizon... I can see a early February release.

The Verizon release is still an Apple "event" that they get a lot of press on, and distracts from other "events". They would spread such events out to get the maximum marketing impact.

Tony

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
The Verizon release is still an Apple "event" that they get a lot of press on, and distracts from other "events". They would spread such events out to get the maximum marketing impact.

Tony

I hate marketing crap! But it does make sense now thanks. Now the question is why are the macbooks going out of stock... maybe an event soon??? with the iPad!!! wishful thinking!!!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I hate marketing crap! But it does make sense now thanks. Now the question is why are the macbooks going out of stock... maybe an event soon??? with the iPad!!! wishful thinking!!!

The MBAs are 10.7-ready so I suspect they're going to get the MBPs in line. Sandy Bridge possibly?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

I will be astonished if they release it early February as it's almost the end of January. I can't even see them announcing it before the middle of February based on the fact that have an iPad Valentine's campaign up and running on the apple online store.

I would have to agree with a March announcement. I hope I'm wrong though!

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I expect that Apple will launch iOS5 and the new iPad together in March. That way they can give an update on the VZ iPhone performance (first month sales) and steal some of the thunder from the Android tablets releasing around the same time.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
The MBAs are 10.7-ready so I suspect they're going to get the MBPs in line. Sandy Bridge possibly?

What makes anything 10.7-ready? The only difference between the MBA and any other Macbook Pro is that it has a solid state drive (the 13.3" MBP and the MPA have virtually the same processor and GPU). However, even my 2009 MBP has had a SSD in it for over a year and frankly the type of drive shouldn't make a hill of beans difference as it pertains to whether an OS can run on it or not (it just means the data isn't passed to the OS as quickly)....

Seriously where do people get this stuff?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
What makes anything 10.7-ready? The only difference between the MBA and any other Macbook Pro is that it has a solid state drive (the 13.3" MBP and the MPA have virtually the same processor and GPU). However, even my 2009 MBP has had a SSD in it for over a year and frankly the type of drive shouldn't make a hill of beans difference as it pertains to whether an OS can run on it or not (it just means the data isn't passed to the OS as quickly)....

Seriously where do people get this stuff?

It has less to do with the ability to run the OS and more to do with how Apple has defined the next OS as being a hybrid of the iOS and the Mac OS. SSD/instant-on is one aspect of that. Perhaps I ddn't express it properly for your needs but it's a move that anticipates 10.7. Hope that satisfies you.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
The announcement won't be before Feb 10 - i.e. after the releease of the Verizon iPhone, as that would steal the latter's thunder. Plus, it's way too early to announce for an April release.

We''l probably the a middle of March announcement.

Tony

what if they announce the ipad2 the same day as the verizon iphone is released? And they can announce that ipad2 will come with verizon too (or is it already in verizon?)

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
I would expect an April 5 launch date for a revised iPad, with an announcement on or around March 22-24.

Just going off of history of the 2-3 week window for new iphones, ipods and with the original RELEASE date of the WIFI iPads.

I do not expect that we will see a delay or different release dates for WIFI and 3G/4G iPads. Most likely, they should be released all together.

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
... - do I bite the bullet and just get a refurb wifi only or wait 3 months. I can't believe I've held off this long.

You waited this long...

Would you plan to sell it and get a new one though? If so, then it depends how much $ you'll lose when you resell it. If you estimate losing $100 ($33.33 over three months) and that's something you can live with then go for it!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
i'd say just about every apple machine that has a click-able trackpad is 10.7 ready.
i don't think that apple is gonna require anything really super special to run 10.7.

As i responded above, I was not suggesting that existing machines won't utilize 10.7's features effectively. Apple has stated that 10.7 is the beginning of a merge between Mac OS and iOS features and that merge was reflected somewhat in the MBA update, primarily the "instant on" and with their SSD drives. I would not be surprised if those features appeared in the MBP updates as well.

chitown23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I expect that Apple will launch iOS5 and the new iPad together in March. That way they can give an update on the VZ iPhone performance (first month sales) and steal some of the thunder from the Android tablets releasing around the same time.

This seems spot on at least in terms of an announcement. The typical format of their keynote is exactly as you have explained - talk about how big the previous release (VZ phone) and then move to the growth and dominance of the previous gen product.

I agree that its a marketing dream to constantly stay on top of the news and not having to push as much in advertising due to the coverage it naturally gets with new announcement.

iOS announce, iphone verizon release, Ipad announce, ipad release, iphone att announce, iphone release, iOS and OS release, throw in a couple new MBP, Apple TV and mac mini or whatever to cover the time between the next year. Space these all by 2 months and you have free marketing via AP news and the need to advertise is reduced greatly

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California

Very reasonable prediction. With their recent tangent of spending the opening parts of their events summarizing sales, this is entirely possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.