TOMS Shoes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bern1812, Feb 22, 2010.

1. bern1812 macrumors member

http://www.tomsshoes.com/default.asp

Does anyone have a pair of TOMS Shoes?

It is a pretty great idea, for every shoe they sell, they give away a pair to a child in need.

I was looking into getting a pair shoes for days I dont really feel like wearing socks, and a pair of TOMS seem to fit the bill, all well helping out a good cause.

I liked these ones, sort of over the top which I think compliments their already funky look.

http://www.tomsshoes.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CategoryID=8&productID=355#pageTop

2. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

3. splitpea macrumors 6502a

wow, their women's selection is really unappealing... and I'm not even a fashionista. EDIT: so are the mens. They all look like my grandfather's slippers.

4. ethical macrumors 68000

I thought they were slippers!

5. Anticlockwork macrumors newbie

TOMS is a great idea in general but the company and everyone else it seems assume that these kids need shoes. Some do probably but the human foot is quite capable of taking care of its self. I'm willing to bet that these kids kick the shoes right back off once TOMS leave. On the other hand shoes are a great luxury in a lot of the places they go so I'm sure it makes these kids feel really special. (btw I'm biased, I hate wearing things on my feet.)

OT. The shoes they sell are neat. If it wasn't for the fact that they give free shoes to kids they wouldn't be worth the price. I don't personally have a pair of them but do go barefoot quiet often so that has to count.

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Not trying to insult you or anything, but you should research the company and charity a little more. Watch the little bit about TOMS Shoes and Blake Mycoskie from Sunday Morning on CBS. Shoes are in such demand from people in need that when he comes to town and villages, bringing shoes, the citizens go crazy, braking down fences and gates just for something to put on their feet. Their feet are swollen from a certain disease caused by the soil that they walk on, enlarging their feet and legs, making it painful to stand or walk. You don't realize the necessity of shoes until you don't have them. Think about walking on asphalt on a summer day barefoot, or on sand in the desert for a prolonged period of time. It would be awful. I understand not liking to wear shoes (I don't really either!), but when you live in a place with harsh environments, shoeless, with the fear of catching a disease simply from walking, you want shoes. It's a great cause, and the shoes are extreeeeemely comfortable!

7. bern1812 thread starter macrumors member

I ended up placing my order for just the simple black classics. On top of shoes, you can buy t-shirts and sweatshirts and for every one of those they will give away a pair of shoes as well.

8. Anticlockwork macrumors newbie

Your right. I didn't think about that at all. I forgot about such things as hook works and other various diseases. After some reasearch your right. Shame on my ignorance. (this isn't sarcasm)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's a good cause, but that's it to me. Their shoes look so feminine that I wouldn't wear them. Great if you're a girl, but it's not a great look on most men. :eek:

I own a pair of black slip-on shoes like these, but the sides look a bit different. Perhaps they also look a bit effeminate , or just a bit hipster-ish (a most of which looks effiminate to me as well), but I dress sliiiightly hipster-ish anyway, so they kind of look ok.

I'm not the type to care if something looks girly or not, but to me, this is a bi far, kind of like me wearing heels.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, they look like something The Dude might wear. Nice thought though.