Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyboy7110

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
I use the Trafficmaster Companion app based on smartnav. The routes it gives are second to none, the maps are always current, the updates weigh in at under 10MB and when lazy, use the call centre to locate where you're going.

It's not perfect yet, but I've used smartnav ever since it came out as an in-vehicle option and the routes are fantastic. It knows the quickest route based on the time of day and it will check the traffic all through your route.

The best bit is that if your original route clears, it puts you back on it. I don't think other satnavs do that?

YES!!!!! I love the new tomtom feature!! Where To just added the feature where you can add locations from 3rd party apps and I tried it! I have been WAITING to be able to do this!

Now I just wish that this could be done directly from the google maps app. Oh what a perfect world that would be :)

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
TomTom Install

For those with the installation problems, you actually need over 3 gigs free to install. Frankly I hate that part since I always have to delete a bunch of songs, update then restore them. Has nothing to do with TomTom though, same for all the GPS apps.

mvl

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Edit: Just downloaded the user guide for the 1.3 update and found these statements:

1. 'For any incident, you can tap Minimise Delays to check whether further time can be saved by using an alternative route.'
2. 'As the traffic situation changes, your TomTom app constantly looks for a faster route to your destination. If it finds one, it asks you if you want to change to that route.'

These two statements seem to contradict each other. If TomTom gives you the option to change to a new route automatically (2) why would you need the option to manually select minimise delays (1).

Also from personal experience I can say that statement 2 is NOT true.

On all the Tomtom PNDs, you tap the traffic vertical bar on the right, and then choose "traffic preferences".

It then gives you an auto-reroute option with:
- always reroute
- never reroute
- prompt me to reroute

I've never used the iPhone app, but you can check if the same options are available there.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
On all the Tomtom PNDs, you tap the traffic vertical bar on the right, and then choose "traffic preferences".

It then gives you an auto-reroute option with:
- always reroute
- never reroute
- prompt me to reroute

I've never used the iPhone app, but you can check if the same options are available there.

I haven't seen any of those traffic preference options in the iPhone app, but I can confirm prompt to reroute does exist.

This past week I drove into New York City (lots of traffic) and TomTom was constantly checking for better routes. I would hear prompts like:

"The traffic situation on your route has changed. Current delay due to traffic is 12 minutes. You are still on the fastest route."

Eventually I heard this prompt:

"Current delay due to traffic is 12 minutes. A faster route has been determined. Would you like to switch to the faster route and save 11 minutes?"

At that time, on the top of my screen, a bar about three times the height of the normal bar appeared displaying something like "Faster Route: 11 minutes". Under the text was a red stay on route button and a green change route button. I clicked the green button and was immediately directed off the highway and on to a much, much better route.

So, the app is checking for better routes, but most likely there is a threshold to offering a reroute. It's probably not going to offer an a reroute unless more than 5 minutes can be saved by altering direction.

mvl

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
I haven't seen any of those traffic preference options in the iPhone app, but I can confirm prompt to reroute does exist.

This past week I drove into New York City (lots of traffic) and TomTom was constantly checking for better routes. I would hear prompts like:

"The traffic situation on your route has changed. Current delay due to traffic is 12 minutes. You are still on the fastest route."

Eventually I heard this prompt:

"Current delay due to traffic is 12 minutes. A faster route has been determined. Would you like to switch to the faster route and save 11 minutes?"

At that time, on the top of my screen, a bar about three times the height of the normal bar appeared displaying something like "Faster Route: 11 minutes". Under the text was a red stay on route button and a green change route button. I clicked the green button and was immediately directed off the highway and on to a much, much better route.

So, the app is checking for better routes, but most likely there is a threshold to offering a reroute. It's probably not going to offer an a reroute unless more than 5 minutes can be saved by altering direction.

If it finds a delay, Tomtom will see if driving through the traffic is faster than driving around it. My guess, in your example above, is that it needed a 12 minute delay on the original road to make an alternate route faster.

On a PND, the screens you describe match what happens when you choose "prompt". I personally run my Tomtoms with the "auto" option, as I'd always want to say "yes" to that prompt.

There are a few iPhone owners who have extensively used the iPhone app at tomtomforums.com. You could ask there if anyone has found the traffic preferences screen.

sboyack

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2007
SPOKEN STREET NAMES! I didn't know that my iPhone TomTom could.

So far, I have REALLY liked my TomTom on my iPhone. The car kit is awesome. I take it on all my trips when I am driving in unfamiliar cities. The GPS works great! The speaker volume works great and I love how easy and well it mounts in any car...

But the thing I have MOST wanted (and emailed Tom Tom about) was to add Spoken Street Names. Often, the app says, "Turn right in 400 yards" when there is a complicated interesection with more than one obvious choice. I often take the wrong turn. So, I REALLY wanted them to add Spoken Street Names.

I even emailed their support to ask them WHEN they would add it. I found this document that hinted it would be coming soon. I was very disappointed it was not in the 1.3 release I just downloaded. They emailed me back and said they would forward my request to development... Sheesh.
http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=877&Lid=29

I asked them about if you can install and use the celebrity voices like they sell and I got no answer...
http://www.tomtom.com/page/simpsons&Lid=4

On a whim I was trying out some other voices and discovered an AMAZING THING!!!
If you select either Samantha (computer) or Tom (computer), Tom Tom WILL SPEAK STREET NAMES!!! Like, "In 400 yards turn left on Main Street." HOLY CRAP! I couldn't believe it.

Why couldn't Tom Tom a) tell me these voices would speak street names and b) document it better and advertise it?!? It was like they had NO idea that it would do it.

The only knock is where I live there are a lot of Spanish names and the voices don't do such a good job of pronunciating them. Still THIS IS AN AMAZING THING that I have not seen documented or discussed anywhere.

I think Tom Tom users should all PayPal me $1 to thank me!
sboyack@mac.com

hawkeye23

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
So far, I have REALLY liked my TomTom on my iPhone. The car kit is awesome. I take it on all my trips when I am driving in unfamiliar cities. The GPS works great! The speaker volume works great and I love how easy and well it mounts in any car...

But the thing I have MOST wanted (and emailed Tom Tom about) was to add Spoken Street Names. Often, the app says, "Turn right in 400 yards" when there is a complicated interesection with more than one obvious choice. I often take the wrong turn. So, I REALLY wanted them to add Spoken Street Names.

I even emailed their support to ask them WHEN they would add it. I found this document that hinted it would be coming soon. I was very disappointed it was not in the 1.3 release I just downloaded. They emailed me back and said they would forward my request to development... Sheesh.
http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=877&Lid=29

I asked them about if you can install and use the celebrity voices like they sell and I got no answer...
http://www.tomtom.com/page/simpsons&Lid=4

On a whim I was trying out some other voices and discovered an AMAZING THING!!!
If you select either Samantha (computer) or Tom (computer), Tom Tom WILL SPEAK STREET NAMES!!! Like, "In 400 yards turn left on Main Street." HOLY CRAP! I couldn't believe it.

Why couldn't Tom Tom a) tell me these voices would speak street names and b) document it better and advertise it?!? It was like they had NO idea that it would do it.

The only knock is where I live there are a lot of Spanish names and the voices don't do such a good job of pronunciating them. Still THIS IS AN AMAZING THING that I have not seen documented or discussed anywhere.

I think Tom Tom users should all PayPal me $1 to thank me!
sboyack@mac.com

Are you serious?

snip common sense

Yes. We know. I'm sorry TomTom didn't tell you that when you emailed them. Bad on them. I have noticed that TomTom does a piss horrible job with customer service and relating information about what they are doing (at least in regards to the iphone). But yes they have had samantha since 1.1 and tom was just added in 1.3. Now I use Tom on my TomTom, oh and did I mention that my name was Tom?? haha

PS I just bought the car kit and took it on a 10 hour trip. I had it on for I'd say at least 5 hours of it, if not more. The battery didn't drain at all. Although the gps did flip out on me a couple times. Once it couldn't even lock on at all until I quit and reopened the app. Also the bluetooth is worth crap in my loud car driving 80mph down the freeway. (using built in speaker. no aux in) Both the mic and speaker are unbearable at such speed in my car. I've tried minimally at 20-30 mph which so far has yielded much better success. Volume for music works well though for me throughout.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Can anyone confirm whether the real traffic feature is still available for the iPod Touch? I have a mifi card so that shouldn't be a problem.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
In App Map Add-On?

I've been looking everywhere for this. Is it possible to buy the US/Canada app and then add maps of Europe via an in-app purchase?

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Can anyone confirm whether the real traffic feature is still available for the iPod Touch? I have a mifi card so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have an iPod touch to test, but from what's I've seen on forums, traffic is completely disabled for the iPod touch.

I've been looking everywhere for this. Is it possible to buy the US/Canada app and then add maps of Europe via an in-app purchase?

Nope. If you want Europe or other maps, you have to purchase another version.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
2 questions:

1) is it possible to add multiple waypoints in TomTom?

2) do the ipod controls offer more than just pause, forward and back? i.e. like in Navigon you can actually choose songs, albums, playlists, etc...

cuddykid

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
the tomtom app deffo looks very good! But I think i'll stick with co-pilot for the mo though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.