Tomtom 720 and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Foggy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if the iPhone works with the Tomtom720?

I currently use the bluetooth handsfree functionality of my tomtom720 with my Sony Ericsson k800i and for me it is a must have. Very very tempted to get an iPhone but they dont list compatibility on the tomtom website.

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've got the TomTom 520, and it works fine - both using the iPod cable so you can select your music through the TomTom screen, and for handsfree. The only thing it won't do it text-to-speech for incoming text messages.

3. Foggy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn you - I am now one step closer to taking my daughter to the Kingston Apple Store to watch daddy buy an iphone as a special treat during half term!

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

*takes a bow*

My pleasure - I'm sure she'll enjoy the trip :D

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (my iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I have a TomTom 720 and it works with my iPhone. No problems pairing or making calls whatsoever. I just wish the data transfer would work so I could get the trafffic and weather updates...

6. khosna macrumors member

I have a 720 and it works fine with the iPhone as well.

7. Foggy thread starter macrumors 6502a

My daughter had great fun playing with the mac books whilst Daddy bought a new iPhone - thanks folks!!

(Written in safari on a new iPhone!)

8. jmr2002 macrumors newbie

Can the iPhone phonebook be transferred to the TomTom via Bluetooth or is it necessary manually dial the number for each call?

TIA

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I've transferred phone numbers from my iPhone to my TomTom Go 510 via bluetooth without issue. Any tethering for data transfers for traffic and weather data as pointed out a couple posts above doesn't work since the iPhone does not support it. I have not been able to get my iPhone to transmit text messages to and from my 510 either.

10. jmr2002 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, PoitNarf. The hands-free calling is most important to me. I had traffic on my previous Garmin unit and decided it is really something I can live without. Now the question becomes: do I want to buy now or hold off for the rumored 3G iPhone.

11. jeffreyfort macrumors member

i want an iPhone in the worst way, but voice dialing is a must. can you voice dial an iPhone using a TomTom? How does that work? I would buy two devices to do it, but I have to tell you that it would pain me to do so when I can do it on a Treo alone now.

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Nope, no voice dialing on the iPhone and I'm pretty sure my TomTom 510 does not have this capability either but I am unsure about newer TomTom models.

13. jmr2002 macrumors newbie

AFAIK, there is no voice dialing on the TomTom 720/920 series either. The voice recognition capability is limited to address lookup only.