TomTom and Navigon Bringing Turn-by-Turn GPS Car Navigation to iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the featured demos at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday was TomTom for iPhone, a forthcoming turn-by-turn GPS navigation solution. Turn-by-turn car navigation has been a highly anticipated function for the iPhone whose deployment has been delayed in part by numerous hurdles imposed by Apple's SDK terms and restrictions from map providers on the use of their data. Several major vendors have been promising that they are working on such projects, with a small handful of applications even having been released.

TomTom last year asserted at the time of the iPhone 3G launch that it was working on developing turn-by-turn navigation, with additional confirmation coming several months later. According to this week's keynote demo and an associated announcement, TomTom's offerings, which will include both the software app and a hardware "car kit", will become available following the launch of iPhone OS 3.0 next week. Pricing has yet to be announced.
The TomTom solution combines two new TomTom products to provide users with state of the art in-car navigation on their iPhone 3G:

- The TomTom navigation application for iPhone; an Apple version of TomTom's award-winning turn-by-turn navigation software, including IQ Routes and latest maps from Tele Atlas;

- The TomTom car kit for iPhone; a specially developed car kit for secure docking, enhanced GPS performance, clear voice instructions, hands-free calling and in-car charging.
TomTom has also released a brief promotional video demonstrating the hardware setup and providing a glimpse at the software interface:

Article Link: TomTom and Navigon Bringing Turn-by-Turn GPS Car Navigation to iPhone

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm glad to see NAVIGON is in on this. I use their regular GPS systems, and am pretty happy with their navigation. I wonder if they will try to incorporate traffic navigation into their app as well...

Ross123

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Think this is a brilliant feature to have on the iPhone :D, just hope its not really expensive!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
To bad that it is Tom Tom. Garmain routing is better in the US.

Multiple test I have read report the exact same thing.

In the US Garmain has the best routing
In Europe Tom Tom has the best routing

Harun

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Price?

If we have this much hype about it and no price it means it is going to be expensive.

I bet $199.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
it definitely stands to be one of the more, if not most, expensive apps currently on App Store..

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I wish that either Google Earth supported directions, or Google Maps could give you that angled view. As long as they both support compass data, there would be no need for these 3rd party apps.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I wonder why the Tom Tom adaptor provides enhanced GPS… does the new iPhone need it or just those without the compass I wonder?

mrklaw

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2008
No news on an ipod touch version? Many many more of those than iphones, and I expect many people would upgrade to an ipod touch for good, fully featured apps like this.

And with the new OS 3.0 offering bluetooth peripheral support, they could sell a little bluetooth GPS that sits in the mounting cradle, or be compatible with existing bluetooth GPS units

sneakyob

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
What ever happened to TeleNav in this space? Didn't they talk about building an app like they do for other smart phones? I am surprised that they have not done a press release by now.

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Base package $49.99 and additional add-ons $19.99. No one would touch this for $100.00, especially without the base...$89.99

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
as long as it isn't ridiculously expensive i'll get it as other have said, but being hush on the pricing so far makes it not look so good.

Planet Telex

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
I just checked the tom tom store and pda maps are $70 US.

Considering that the mount charges the phone, I doubt it will be less than $30.

This makes it very likely that to get both will be over $100, unless they are willing to have a low price in order to increase volume.

My guess is $70 minimum for the software, $50 min for the mount.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Will the compass in the 3G S make any difference to navigation software, or does it make no difference as long as you are moving?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Integrated SMS and MMS* texting during navigation using a split screen mode would be cool.

* MMS not supported by AT&T until the end of the summer of 2009.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
Wonder if they are able to do cell triangulation for non 3G users....?
as i understand, the Tom Tom app would simply be getting the devices location from the Location API. this API gathers information from Edge/3G triangulation, WiFi proximity, and GPS.

GPS, is the only service which would provide Lat Long coordinates though that the Tom Tom app would depend on. The other services are not accurate enough for that.

My guess would be no, it would require at the very least the GPS receiver which is only in the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Tom Tom could provide an external GPS antenna now that it is allowed by the SDK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.