tomtom app and dock?!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by thisisarcadia, Jun 25, 2009.

?

How much will Tomtom and Dock cost?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2009.
  1. $0-50

9 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. $50-100

55 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. $100-150

44 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. $150-200

23 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Anyways i was looking at the tomtom website and they dont have a price or date of when their products will be released. All they say is it will be out this summer! When the tom tom is released how much you think the app and dock will cost?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I can't vote because your highest price option doesn't include the phrase "or more."

3. fr00b macrumors regular

4. 3GS916 macrumors member

same as above. Im concerned about the dock though, doesnt appear to be compatible with any kind of case.

5. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

do you think the dock will have a sound booster to it? because the speakers arent the greatest in the world!

6. chox99 macrumors regular

Doesn't dock charge AND use it as a speaker phone? as well as listen to music using the dock? I think if you have standard 3.5mm connect input in your car It'll be a added benefit to use it as a ipod dock.

7. davidmess macrumors newbie

I'm nearly certain that they mentioned sound booster and am 100% positive they said it would charge your phone in the keynote

8. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

i would never buy the app or the dock becuase i dont need to find my location my location finds me

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm hoping for a 99.99 price point.

maybe normally 99.99 and 24.99 for the dock... but will offer it for a special introductory rate for one week that will throw in the dock for free

I'd hop on that.

11. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

THATS WHAT SHE SAID :D

12. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I'm thinking...

$99.99 for the Application
    and $49.99 for the dock

13. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Over $25 for the dock is just ridiculous.

Both TomTom and Garmin already have dashboard mount for under $25.

Here's my Garmin dashboard friction mount that is much better than windshield mount: (over 2,300 customer reviews with 5-star average rating in Amazon)

Attached Files:

14. mstier09 macrumors regular

I've never owned a stand-alone GPS system, but how much do they usually cost? What are you paying for with those units, software or hardware? I already paid for the hardware (iphone) so does this change the equation at all? I'm just talking about the app, not the dock.

15. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

These days, you can buy a very good GPS navigation (stand alone Garmin, TomTom, or Magellian) between $100-$150 and it comes with the windshield mount.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's more then just a dock:

17. mstier09 macrumors regular

So my question is, if a very good TomTom is $100-$150 and they have navigation software included, can't they keep the TomTom iPhone App pretty cheap (below say, $50) since we aren't buying the hardware? I know they want to make money, and spent a lot to develop the app in the first place, but if its 100 bucks I would kinda be inclined to just plunk the cash for a stand-alone unit. I guess what I'm saying that unless they keep the price low, whats the incentive to buy it, especially after we have all spent so much on shiny iPhones.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's going to have it's own GPS hardware in it and won't being using the iPhone GPS so it ain't gonna be cheap. But since the software won't have text to speech which now comes in even the cheapest under $100 stand-alone GPS no matter what they sell it for it won't be worth it (to me).

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    well stand alone tomtom units range in cost from $120-$450.

and for some reason i fail at searching and can't find much on price for tomtom on blackberry, but on a treo i found a retail price of $150.

so keep this in mind.

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That looks like a small, floppy ....

21. Nightmarerec0n macrumors newbie

I am saying $50-$75 is fair...A entry level GPS cost $100-$150.
    So add the price of map $40-$50 and dock $20-$30...and it sounds great.

22. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

GPS Solutions Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later

I've got a TomTom One Third Edition. It works pretty well and the TomTom Home application on my MacPro works well (after a series of buggy earlier versions of the Home app.)

The thing is if the iPhone version of the TomTom software app. goes like the dedicated units be prepared to pay for map updates, or a map update subscription. I get that our highways and all the other data on a GPS changes.

I see one non-TomTom iPhone GPS solution from AT&T goes the monthly charge route for the service (the software is free)

So, as I've indicated, "Pay Me Nor or Pay Me Later". Having GPS is a great boon. Just know just buying the hardware/software isn't going to be the end of your expenses.

If you have never used GPS in your vehicle you may want to read reviews of the iPhone solutions just to make sure it does what you think it does. I would be pleasantly surprised if the TomTom iPhone GPS solution was a feature rich as even their cheapest unit.

I love the idea of having my iPhone do double duty. Not hassling with a dedicated unit might be worth it for those that don't expect the performance and features of dedicated GPS hardware.

23. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Just thought of a new pricing thing.

The app could be free, then a dock for maybe 25-50 bucks. After you have the app, it could use In App purchase to buy the maps you need, when you need them. Maybe $25 for US East, and $25 for US West.

24. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

25. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No offense but it is not the same thing at all. The TomTom mount will be an elctronic device that enhances GPS reception, has a built in speaker, and a charging mechanism.