Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Bluetooth??!!

Why would I want to screw around with bluetooth every time I get in and out of my car?

Bluetooth on iPhone is a battery HOG and I will never use it.

This makes the device totally useless to me.

Bluetooth is the worst thing on the iPhone, I was looking forward to this kit and would have gladly got one for every employee, but now I'll go with the kensington.:mad:

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
If you're the kind of guy who drives a cheap car without Bluetooth and iPod audio integration, then you probably don't have an iPhone and if you do, you probably will be fine with the iPhone's built-in GPS and mapping. The only people who want a high-end 3rd party navigation app DO NOT NEED this low-end accessory.

:rolleyes: Pretentious much? I'll trust TomTom's market research over your baseless assumptions this time around, I think.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
And you'll have to take your cover off to use it. No thanks.

I went and bought this in the mean time, which wobbles a bit, but I can keep the case on and use it just fine.

318ZVJ3%2B-jL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
How is that a problem unless you made a bad choice for a case that is hard to take off and on?

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
You're throwing "we" around a lot there. Guess I must have been on vacation the day you were elected spokesperson for all iphone users who use GPS on here.

I'm sure TomTom have thought about what they're doing - they're not exactly newcomers to the incar navigation market, nor to integrating their software with other vendors hardware. When their car kit is released I'll consider it and if its better than my (admittedly jury rigged) current setup then I'll upgrade and if not then I won't. Isn't having a choice wonderful?

You're throwing "sure" around a lot here, without specifically addressing any of the points raised. You're not exactly contributing to this discussion.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
:rolleyes: Pretentious much? I'll trust TomTom's market research over your baseless assumptions this time around, I think.

Baseless assumptions? Unlike your statement, they are factually backed up with logic. Try it, instead of trust. Works every time.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Well played. I love armchair quarterbacks on the forums that seem to think that a very successful company (usually Apple, in this case TomTom) somehow overlooks these things. Are we really to think that of all the people working on the device that not one of them said "Hey, if this is connected with the dock connector why do we have to use Bluetooth?" and that there's probably a reason for them use it (that is, of course, remembering that we don't really know how it's all going to work until we can get a look at the manual).

What an incredibly moronic statement. You just rendered irrelevant all technology reviewers and critics, which help people tell the difference between marketing hype and actual value. I guess if you had your way, we wouldn't even need this forum, either, would we? Or this entire website?

The manual is posted in this thread, if you would pay a little more attention. Unlike you, I was willing to read the manual. Which is why I know it uses Bluetooth in the iPhone to connect back to itself. Which is why I also know this setup renders the dock connector, car iPod integration, and Bluetooth car phone functions unusable. You have to actually connect a 2nd cord to hear music in your car.

I know exactly why they did this, to enable phone functionality on their speaker and mic while also providing speaker output for their turn-by-turn directions. And I maintain my stance that this combination of hardware and software is desired only by the kind of person who can afford much better ways of implementing it in a car with existing Bluetooth and iPod audio integration.

You can tell when people who work for Tom-Tom try to hijack this discussion in their favor, as they never respond on the technical merits of the conversation.

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I must say the banter on this thread is laughable.... lol...

All you iPhone Guru's are getting so worked up about this craddle. If I received a dollar per min. thats been wasted on pointless debate about connectivity, GPS chips, prices and general TomTom app flaws. We'd probably all be able to afford one by now.... lol...

I for one am getting fed up with TomTom taking a the 'slow to market approach' to this craddle. I bet everyone will hype it up so much that when it is finally released.... Most comments with be "yeah its ok... It works..." or "Its a nice touch"...

Whatever...

Thanks for the laughs...

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
...I for one am getting fed up with TomTom taking a the 'slow to market approach' to this craddle. I bet everyone will hype it up so much that when it is finally released.... Most comments with be "yeah its ok... It works..." or "Its a nice touch"...

I think they could have made a lot of sales if they had the cradle and app ready at 3.0 launch. TomTom had a ton of coverage and I think people would have bought it based on excitement.

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I think they could have made a lot of sales if they had the cradle and app ready at 3.0 launch. TomTom had a ton of coverage and I think people would have bought it based on excitement.

Couldn't agree more with you Jon.

Mist opportunity IMHO. Its funny reading this thread and then reading the Reviews on the TomTom App in the App Store, people other there are getting so worked up too. Have u seen it? People making 'Blanket' statements about the App not being more than a 3 star rating... And if you give it more then 'clearly you've not tried any of the other options'...

I'm not sure how seeing the pic's at the top made me feel. I think actually seeing it was a little disappointing... It didn't look all that good... And if the leaked pricing is anything to go from 113 tokens then I dont think I'm updating the stero in the car for something that looks, well.. abit 'flimsey'...

Any thoughts?

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Umm... I just read this on the FCC site, regarding the TomTom Craddle...

'To play music on your iPhone through your car stereo, connect the TomTom
car kit to the car stereo using a 3.5mm mini stereo audio cable (not supplied).

Note: Hands-free calls are not played over the car stereo.'

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...lledFromFrame=N&application_id=480104&fcc_id=

Download the spec's to check it out...

Seems a bit basic to not have this functionality included though....

What do you think?

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
They are FACTUALLY backed up with YOUR logic?... I'm not sure something that is subjective can be a fact, but that's just me.

According to my logic, what TomTom is doing makes a lot of sense and to me, I am right. I have factually backed up my argument with logic and it is different than yours, how can we both be right? We can and we can't, neither of us are factually correct though.

You seem to have a problem confusing the difference between facts and opinions. I have stated the facts as to how this device operates. I have made conclusions based on those facts. You have simply made conclusions, without citing any facts or rationale behind those conclusions other than "Let's trust Tom-Tom that they know what they're doing."

Unlike you, I am not speaking only for myself. I am thinking of consumers and the market as a whole, which is what I happen to do for a living. It's not about "not fitting into my setup"... it's about not fitting into anyone's. No one wants to cripple their multi-hundred dollar phone to get better GPS reception and screw up their dash with a bunch of wires when they can simply get a stand-alone GPS device (or use in-dash nav) that does it far more functionally.

3GEE

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I honestly can't wait for this kit and will buy it the first day it's available. I don't presently have a mount and this one sounds like it will fit my needs perfectly. Right now I use bluetooth for hands-free phone calling with my car stereo and I'll never be without this feature again. If I have to do it through the kit now, so what.

I've had the TomTom nav app for about two week now and I'm really pleased with it's performance. It's been great for me, locks on quickly, recalculates fast, it's all good. I had one small issue today where it couldn't find a shop in POI that I wanted. I went to google maps, copied the address to contacts and away I went.

IMO this is a wonderful app, 5 stars. I'm going to buy the kit right away, I'll gladly give a review if others want to wait. I don't work for TomTom if that's the rebuttal for positive reviews, I'm just a very happy consumer.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

optophobia said:
I heard the unit will be free with the Navigon app :cool:

If that is the case I may consider purchasing it. I think that tomtom is a little proud of the application itself considering the fact that the App costs nearly as much as their low end unit. I don't think that the car kit is going to be free though. I feel like it is probably going to be in the $100-$150 (US) range. Just a gut feeling though. I don't think that I'd be interested in either if I have to invest &200+ to get everything.

Edunwody

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

If the car kit is over $25 without the app then I will pass on it

BriGuy20

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Why would I want to screw around with bluetooth every time I get in and out of my car?

Bluetooth on iPhone is a battery HOG and I will never use it.

This makes the device totally useless to me.

Bluetooth is the worst thing on the iPhone, I was looking forward to this kit and would have gladly got one for every employee, but now I'll go with the kensington.:mad:

It's a battery hog, but your car probably has a cigarette lighter, and the TomTom kit has a power adapter to plug into it.

GPS is a memory hog too, but plugging into the car charger might actually negate the draining of both the GPS and the Bluetooth. Also, many states are banning the use of cellphones without hands-free devices.

Something to think about before you poo-poo the idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.