Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djs621

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
It's been confirmed by some users on apple's discussion board that the tomtom car kit has not been working when paired with Iphone 4.. They're saying it fits ok but it doesn't charge and does not sync with bluetooth when docked... To look on the bright side at least it fits.. I guess one of the 2 companies can release some kind of software update allowing functionality to continue..

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Good thing I looked before I posted.

First thing I did with my iPhone 4 was pop in in the tom-tom dock. Great fit. Didn't try it in the car with the power. Arrg. And the tom-tom update just came out too. I need to try and see if that fixed it.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Has anyone tried it with the new updated version, looking to get the dock at some point so would like to know

Djs621

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
In the posts i've read the implication is that the new update was installed on the phone..

As i said b4 this is a software problem, cause the phone apparently fits ok in the cradle.. Hopefully apple or tomtom will release an update to fix this issue

firemed509

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
posted on another thread

Ok my iphone 4 arrived today, went to put it in my TomTom car kit. It fits but would not connect to the bluetooth or charger. So instanly I got pissed off. Then decided to take a closer look. In order for the phone to connect to the car kit it needs to completly click in which it does but since it is thinner it is not allowing the docking port to rock all the way back. So I rolled a piece of paper and placed behind the iphone 4 and it worked. So I'm thinking they will come up with a fix in the near future, if not i can make a simple mod to fix it.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Ok my iphone 4 arrived today, went to put it in my TomTom car kit. It fits but would not connect to the bluetooth or charger. So instanly I got pissed off. Then decided to take a closer look. In order for the phone to connect to the car kit it needs to completly click in which it does but since it is thinner it is not allowing the docking port to rock all the way back. So I rolled a piece of paper and placed behind the iphone 4 and it worked. So I'm thinking they will come up with a fix in the near future, if not i can make a simple mod to fix it.

Nice catch!!!

danielbrowning

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009

Genius. I can confirm this works! You, sir, are a life saver :)

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Good to know. Sounds like a simple insert from TomTom that clicks onto the inside back of the dock and we are in business...

rssfed23

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Southampton, UK
Just been trying this myself, but to no avail

I don't suppose one of you would be most kind as to upload a picture of your home modded car docks? - Just for the less "practical" of us (like myself!) that can't for the life of me get it working.

Many thanks in advance,
Rob :)

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
saw this and plucked up the courage to buy the dock, lovely, just tweeted tomtom uk so hopefully it should be fixed at some point ................ although it did take them forever to release the dock!!!

junkmail

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Tomtom said iPhone 4 not supported

This is what tomtom wrote back to me when I asked about the car kit not working, but thanks to those here who figured out an easy fix:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. We apologize for the delay in responding to your query. My name is Abby. We are always happy to help.

The TomTom car kit is currently available only for the regular iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S. The iPhone 4G being a newly launched product from Apple, it has not been tested yet with the TomTom car kit. Hence we regret that we will not be able to comment on its compatibility with iPhone 4G as there are some significant size differences between the two models.

We are receiving lot of requests from customers regarding the same query and we have already forwarded them to our Product Development team for further review. We take all customer feedback received very seriously in the future development of our products. Suggestions are gathered and organized to understand the areas our customers are most interested in enhancing.

Our Product Managers review all feedback to determine future enhancements and products. Many of our current products and updates offer features based on customer suggestions.

In order to be kept informed of current developments, we suggest you to subscribe to our Newsletter. For more information, please click on the link provided below. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser. http://www.tomtom.com/2091

I hope I have addressed your question appropriately. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in this matter.

We value you as a customer and your complete satisfaction is our prime concern.​

Dunc1701

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
iPhone 4 not officially supported on Tomtom car kit

Contacted totem customer support yesterday - embedded response below

*Subject
iPhone 4 tomtom carkit compatibility
*Discussion Thread
*Response (Chris V. (UK)) 25/06/2010 09.58 AM
Dear Duncan

The reference numbePr for your query is 100625-*****

Thank you for contacting the TomTom Customer Care team.

We apologise for any inconvenience but would like to make it clear that the existing TomTom Car Kit for iPhone is only compatible with iPhone; iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

We are aware that the Apple web store has advertised this product as being compatible with the iPhone 4, however this is not the case and Apple have been informed of this error.

As of yet we do not have any news as to if and when a compatible car kit will be produced for the iPhone 4,

Or whether any adaptors will be made available

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Radioman

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
UK
Contacted totem customer support yesterday - embedded response below

*Subject
iPhone 4 tomtom carkit compatibility
*Discussion Thread
*Response (Chris V. (UK)) 25/06/2010 09.58 AM
Dear Duncan

The reference numbePr for your query is 100625-*****

Thank you for contacting the TomTom Customer Care team.

We apologise for any inconvenience but would like to make it clear that the existing TomTom Car Kit for iPhone is only compatible with iPhone; iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

We are aware that the Apple web store has advertised this product as being compatible with the iPhone 4, however this is not the case and Apple have been informed of this error.

As of yet we do not have any news as to if and when a compatible car kit will be produced for the iPhone 4,

Or whether any adaptors will be made available

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team

The Apple website still says it's compatible: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX529ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

I only went to buy one of these after Apple said it would be compatible so I knew I could still use it when I upgrade to the iPhone 4.

I guess I'll have to take this up with Apple, though I bought it in the UK Regent St store after checking the web for compatibility confirmation. I'm cross now!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It is surprising to me that they're not doing something about this to make it cheaper for people to upgrade. Unless I am mistaken and they are of course.

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
I was able to get it to work with Velcro but I could not get it to fit with the Bumper on. Anybody else have any luck with such?

hurleyr

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
iphone4 losing GPS when connected to carkit

I have managed to get the iphone4 charging by using a bit of velcro on the switch but when this is activated the unit keeps losing the gps signal. When the velcro is removed and it is just used as a mount then the iphone4 works well.

Anyone else had the same problem.

Just for reference I am disgusted at the reply from Tom Tom who really do not care about customers who have purchased the kit and changed their phone.

Jape

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
TOMTOM Car Kit update

So I went to the apple store 2 days ago and they only had the ipod touch version of the carkit available. When I asked when they would be getting in a new shipment they said that they did not know. Then I inquired some more to learn that apple and tomtom have pulled all of the old car kits, because TOMTOM has made an Iphone 4 compatible one. This carkit is currently available on the TOMTOM website. Apple should be getting it really soon. :)

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
did anybody get the ip4 adapter yet from tomtom?

nothing through the post yet. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.