TomTom car kit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tech198, May 4, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Do you guys recommend getting the car kit mounting bracket for iphone 4 for in-car use and hands-free?

I don't take phone calls in the car (in fact no ones calls me :( ) but, for GPS, I just reply on voice guidance, my iphone is in leather pouch.

Would an car kit be better ? and what would be the norm ? charging while driving or not?

Also, i've seen a separate TomTom car kit app but no idea what this one is for..

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

The car kit is completely unnecessary for the iPhone4 .... i have used one or another GPS app since iPhone4 launched and its maybe struggled to maintain a GPS lock once or twice but thats no worse than my Garmin used to get anyway.

The car-kit app is so you can monitor the GPS signal strength, so its just a simple companion app.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

If you are having any trouble with your GPS the tomtom mount will fill in and perform better than the internal one. Or works with ipods that dont have an internal GPS.

Now i just have a way to charge the phone, both my 3gs and now the 4 seem to perform almost as well as the ipod on a tomtom mount. The first lock time was better in the tomtom mount though.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

While the iPhone GPS is pretty good, it can have issues in areas with narrow streets and tall building or if you car has a windshield with a metallic coating.
    Unfortunately the TomTom car kit does not support an external antenna, so it will only be marginally better.

Try a free nav app like MapQuest to see if you maintain a good lock. One thing to keep in mind is that if you leave your phone in a pouch I assume it is either in your pocket or somewhere lower in the body of the car. Simply putting the phone on the dashboard can significantly improve the GPS signal.

5. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

Absolutely no reason to spend any more than £5 on a cradle and £10 ish on an in car charger (dependant upon how fat you intend to travel - battery should last 2-3 hours without)
    This setup has served me for 18 months on a 3GS without issue and iPhone 4 gps reception is even better!