tomtom car kit

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by madwlf, Dec 26, 2009.

1. madwlf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a iphone tomtom car kit - works fine on my gf's iphone 3gs but on my iphone 3g when I plug it in I get an error message saying this hardware is not compatible with your iphone do you want to go into airplane mode.
    I go to the bluetooth section and try and pair it (code 5555) but it says it cannot pair with this device.

On the box it says compatible with all iphone models so any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

Hi: I own a TomTom car kit, too. You may want to check your phone's firmware revision, be sure it's updated to the latest revision available. When trying to pair the Bluetooth facility be sure to have your iPhone docked into the car kit, pairing errors happened to me too while trying to connect outside the dock.

Cheers.

3. madwlf thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked and have the latest version on my iPhone. I don't like the error message I'm getting when I dock it saying it is not designed to work on my iPhone as my gf does not get that on her 3gs.
    I've also tried resetting the Bluetooth but that won't work either. I dnt understand what I'm doing wrong as it works on the 3gs but not my 3g and the box says "Works on all iPhones"

cheers

4. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

Yes should work on both 3G and 3GS, I would inspect your dock connector to check for any dirt making a loose connection and try to install the car kit tool app to avoid any popup upon connection.. hope this helps :)

5. madwlf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that's fixed it thanks :)
    cleaned the connector inside with a small brush and now it connects every time.
    Thanks for your help :)

6. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

Great ;)

just for sharing some info on TomTom Car Kit hardware revisions available fire up the car kit tool app and check the versions, mine are:

Model No.: 4UUB4
    Serial No.: doesn't matter
    Firmware: 0.0.45
    Hardware: 1.0.0

May you kindly report yours? Thanks!

7. madwlf thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly the same version as you from the car kit app.

It's stopped working again! Was making hands free calls no trouble so thought all was fine, but went to use the tomtom app and got no sound. Ran the app again without plugging into the car kit and got sound through the phone speakers.
    Decided to give up with it for the journey, unplugged it and after plugging in again it now does not connect via bluetooth!!! Now every other time I'm plugging it in I'm getting the error message I had this morning about it not being able to work with my iphone.

I'm guessing this is caused by some dirt/dust from the cradle from when I plugged it in the first time but I'm not sure that would cause no voice directions in the app?

Cheers!

8. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Get a can of air spray and spray the connection.

Does the TomTom Kit allow music to be played via USB or is it only able to charge that way.

9. madwlf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, sprayed the connectors with air and that didn't fix it.
    The last thing I thought of was to remove the bluetooth pairing and try and pair it up again. Clicked 'forget this device' connected again and now it's working every time!

No the dock connector does not allow it to play music through its speaker. There is a 3.5 connector on the side of the cradle to connect it up to your car stereo.

Think I'm sorted now - appeared to be the cleaning/bluetooth resetting that fixed it.

Cheers :)

10. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

so glad i canceled my car kit order and just bought a proper tomtom

It arrived on time, works everytime, no messing about and best of all homer simpson can direct me home :)