Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple has worked hard to build its in-house mapping expertise, the company still needs to rely on some outside partners to assist it with the massive project of developing its own mapping and turn-by-turn navigation services. A number of observers noted references to "TomTom and others" in various locations within Apple's new Maps app for iOS 6, and now the mapping company has confirmed in a brief press release that it has indeed struck a deal with Apple.
TomTom has signed a global agreement with Apple for maps and related information. No further details of the agreement will be provided.
ios_6_maps_tomtom.jpg

The Associated Press noted earlier today that TomTom's stock was up 12% on the news, with it now approaching gains of 15% for the day.

(Thanks to Travis for the image!)

Article Link: TomTom Confirms Mapping Deal with Apple

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Well we knew this already from the TomTom logo in maps, we didnt need TomTom to "confirm" it.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Probably less about expertise than about map data. Google also relies on external data providers (or at least used to).

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Hopefully this will settle the tension people have with maps not being as good as google's. I think TomTom has a pretty good mapping database.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I used the maps this morning. It was pretty good...of course it had bugs, but its definitely good to say this is Apple's first go at Maps.

Its going to be even better on that larger iPhone screen.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
TomTom providing the bulk of data and maps.

Maps turn by turn doesn't run on iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS.

TomTom native app runs on iPhone 4 and 3GS.

Thank goodness I bought the TomTom app in January then eh!?

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Upon hearing the announcement I was fairly worried about iOS 6 map functionality being subpar for Japan. I don't really know what changes it makes of having TomTom providing some functionality/data to the native app...

hofer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Are maps being stored on the phone, or are they downloaded as they are needed? I see the latter as a big limitation as I often find myself in areas with limited cell coverage, and therefore unable to use the map program. I believe the new version of Google Maps will have a feature where it downloads a whole region to the phone so you can use it even when you have a poor connection. I hope Apple's app will have a similar feature.

I used the maps this morning. It was pretty good...of course it had bugs, but its definitely good to say this is Apple's first go at Maps.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
no turn-by-turn on the iPhone 4

???

and good to know there is another Map Backer behind this so people can be assured of the service.
but no turn-by-turn on iP4...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

I’m still going to want Street View sometimes, and I’m definitely going to want the transit directions! Apple was forced to leave that to multiple third parties, but a) a given city may or may not ever get a transit app, which may or may not be any good and may or may not integrate with Address Book the way Maps does and b) when your trip involves two different neighboring transit systems, two apps won’t cut it even if they exist.

And that’s OK: by autumn, I expect Google will have its own new iOS maps app (or maybe rolled together with the Earth app). I’ll use it for transit and occasionally street view, and Apple’s app for everything else. Best of both worlds, for now.

Eventually, though, I hope Apple can get transit directions again that integrate with the main Maps app; much more user-friendly. You can switch from driving to transit and back, for one thing.

Are maps being stored on the phone, or are they downloaded as they are needed? I see the latter as a big limitation as I often find myself in areas with limited cell coverage, and therefore unable to use the map program. I believe the new version of Google Maps will have a feature where it downloads a whole region to the phone so you can use it even when you have a poor connection. I hope Apple's app will have a similar feature.

Or what I’d do: keep an automatic history of recent routes (just like Safari), and cache them all along with a certain amount of area around each route. The dumping of cached data would be automatic along with the dumping of your history. AND allow routes to be bookmarked; those would never get dumped.

So, if you’re heading out on a trip, as long as you pick your route before you leave cell coverage, you'd never even have to think about caching. I think I’d like a system like that.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Does anyone know if the new maps will include public transit directions? That's one feature from the Google app that was always incredibly useful to me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Does anyone know if the new maps will include public transit directions? That's one feature from the Google app that was always incredibly useful to me.

Me too! And no, it won’t. BUT:

* Apple said they will connect you to a separate transit app from within Maps (really just a way to let you know such an app exists). This is only useful if some third party has actually MADE a transit app for your city. Not ideal.

* Google makes a ton of money from iOS, and I’m sure they’ll put some effort into a nice free maps app of their own, which I expect I’ll be using for transit directions if nothing else. They have until autumn after all.

* There’s always the Google Maps web site. Not as nice as an app could be, but useful for someone using iOS 6 right now. You could add a button for http://google.com/transit to your home screen.

no turn-by-turn on the iPhone 4

???

and good to know there is another Map Backer behind this so people can be assured of the service.
but no turn-by-turn on iP4...

If that restriction remains, it’s a shame (memory issue?) but I love Navigon MyRegion on my iPhone 4! Turn-by-turn with no Internet link needed, and I grabbed it on sale for very cheap. It goes on sale periodically. A little slow to launch the first time, but a very nice UI. (Navigon is owned by Garmin currently.)

SBehn

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
TomTom providing the bulk of data and maps.

There is turn-by-turn, just no flyover as far as I understood...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
They are downloaded as needed. You will need a data connection.

I’m still going to want Street View sometimes, and I’m definitely going to want the transit directions! Apple was forced to leave that to multiple third parties, but a) a given city may or may not ever get a transit app, which may or may not be any good and may or may not integrate with Address Book the way Maps does and b) when your trip involves two different neighboring transit systems, two apps won’t cut it even if they exist.

And that’s OK: by autumn, I expect Google will have its own new iOS maps app (or maybe rolled together with the Earth app). I’ll use it for transit and occasionally street view, and Apple’s app for everything else. Best of both worlds, for now.

Eventually, though, I hope Apple can get transit directions again that integrate with the main Maps app; much more user-friendly. You can switch from driving to transit and back, for one thing.

Or what I’d do: keep an automatic history of recent routes (just like Safari), and cache them all along with a certain amount of area around each route. The dumping of cached data would be automatic along with the dumping of your history. AND allow routes to be bookmarked; those would never get dumped.

So, if you’re heading out on a trip, as long as you pick your route before you leave cell coverage, you'd never even have to think about caching. I think I’d like a system like that.

I don't think anyone expected Apple to outdo Google Maps with their first release of their mapping service. So, of course there's going to be some missing features. But its nice to have a free alternative on our iPhones. In due time, Apple will add more features. We can't ever expect Apple to knock it out the park in one go...ex: Siri; finally they are giving us the ability to launch apps using it...they could have included that in iOS 5, but waited.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Yes, turn by turn does run on the iPhone 4.
At least in beta-1 it does.
It runs badly but it does run.
If you click the compass icon so that the map auto-scrolls with your GPS location the the turn by turn will auto-advance along with your route but the lag is pretty horrible.
The auto-advance happens halfway through each section of route so if the notice says to make a left 1 mile ahead and then go for 10 miles, the notice will not advance until after you've traveled 5 miles down that 10 mile stretch.
If the next stretch is 2 miles then it won't advance until you're 1 mile down that stretch.
It's always half a stretch behind.

gtvyt

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Maps not updated

Other then the requested bugs for a beta, the maps are not updated (tomtom and google maps are! For my area anyway). So I really hope they going to fix that in the final release to the most updated maps.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yes, turn by turn does run on the iPhone 4.
At least in beta-1 it does.
It runs badly but it does run.
If you click the compass icon so that the map auto-scrolls with your GPS location the the turn by turn will auto-advance along with your route but the lag is pretty horrible.
The auto-advance happens halfway through each section of route so if the notice says to make a left 1 mile ahead and then go for 10 miles, the notice will not advance until after you've traveled 5 miles down that 10 mile stretch.
If the next stretch is 2 miles then it won't advance until you're 1 mile down that stretch.
It's always half a stretch behind.

I'll just stick to my dedicated TomTom app then, lol

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
As people move away from dedicated GPS units and towards smartphones, it's smart of TomTom to pair up with the most successful phone maker/app platform out there. Their services are still useful, but it's good of them not to tie their fate to dedicate GPS units.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
I like the idea because we know we have a reputable and reliable service coming to support the iPhone.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
My initial opinion of Apple's maps solution is less than stellar. For one, I'm on an ancient iPhone 4 (I know right? Sooo 2010) and therefore I don't get half of what they advertised in the keynote. Oh well.

But my biggest peeve is with the data. I live in a city of 110,000+ people, and that's not including the largest University in the state (27,000+ students). The satellite images are 3-5 years old, low-resolution, and black and white. Whole neighborhoods don't exist in the standard view. (Just random FYI, I work for a newspaper in circulation — I kinda need to know where neighborhoods are. Lol)

Those are just my issues with Maps. I know it's technically a beta, but I doubt the data will change much between now and in the fall.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What TomTom brings is excellent traffic data, which they charge an annual subscription for within their app; which is now included in iOS6. That's money right there.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Was really hoping Apple'd throw all their weight behind OpenStreetMap, which has become more popular after Google Maps instituted a more expensive licensing scheme.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
I don't think anyone expected Apple to outdo Google Maps with their first release of their mapping service. So, of course there's going to be some missing features. But its nice to have a free alternative on our iPhones. In due time, Apple will add more features. We can't ever expect Apple to knock it out the park in one go...ex: Siri; finally they are giving us the ability to launch apps using it...they could have included that in iOS 5, but waited.

Speak for yourself, but I do expect Apple outdo or at least being equal to Google Maps. What benefit does it do to me if it's a step backward.Might as well keep Google Maps and work the kinks out on their new map until its ready for prime time. I don't want my phone to be a test subject or a science experiment for Apple. I am consumer first and an Apple fan second. Apple gets away with a lot of things because you guys let them.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Speak for yourself, but I do expect Apple outdo or at least being equal to Google Maps. What benefit does it do to me if it's a step backward.Might as well keep Google Maps and work the kinks out on their new map until its ready for prime time. I don't want my phone to be a test subject or a science experiment for Apple. I am consumer first and an Apple fan second. Apple gets away with a lot of things because you guys let them.

We can't control what Apple does. So, how do we let them? We can submit all the request we want to Apple, but that doesn't mean they will gives up all the features we want. Its pretty simple: If you don't like it, don't use it.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
What TomTom brings is excellent traffic data, which they charge an annual subscription for within their app; which is now included in iOS6. That's money right there.

No, Apple is using a completely separate iOS crowd sourcing system for their traffic data, not the tom-tom crowd-sourced data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.