TomTom dock has apple connector...Next years iphone will have a usb connection.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Jul 7, 2009.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

We had the news recently apple will be moving to USB http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=735369

If so, do the tomtom bods back at the office think it's worth releasing a dock when we won't be able to use it in a year for the next usb iphone release.

I suppose apple could just provide a converter and option to use USB but that's not very 'apple':confused:

Anyway, discuss!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Hell will freeze over before Apple will get rid of the iPod dock connector. Hell, there might be more IDC accessories than micro-USB devices. Apple will either include a free adapter or (very unlikely) add an extra port somewhere.

It's a shame that this hasn't been done already. The power port on most phones are pretty useless aside from charging. Why it took about 12 years to say "oh, this USB is pretty neat" from a big group is a little sad. I have about 5 Motorola chargers that are mostly useless, and probably the same number of Virgin Mobile chargers. That's a lot of e-waste.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I believe Apple's approach will get more acceptance than micro-USB, because phone manufacturers will likely see mUSB too limiting. If all phones would have proprietary data/power connector that can be plugged into USB, then all chargers outputting to USB would be universal. It's just that one would still need the proprietary cable between phone and USB charger. But charger-wise, Apple's approach is universal.

We'll see how it goes. Personally, I don't like mUSB at all. I would've liked to see digicams adopt FireWire, but then again, I'm rather old-fashioned and tend to support better tech.

5. dagomike macrumors 65816

Apple has committed to the micro USB. So, either Apple will junk up the iPhone with two connectors, provider an adapter and completely go against the reason to commit to micro USB, or switch to micro. And I'm sure an adapter would screw up a cradle anyway.

I think they will either add both or go only micro. I think the answer to which depends on whether anything is lost going to the micro. Micro obviously is good for charging, but not sure if data throughput will be lost or not.

It's a good question though. Next year (or year after) TomTom customers may be looking at buying a new base.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

How about loss of compatibility with every single iPod and iPhone accessory made in the last 8 years?

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Pretty much par for Apple. They'll have an adapter they'll sell you for $20.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

It will be an adapter or a second port. No way they dump the dock connector. They have no reason to do so - it's pretty much the standard port on zillions of third party devices. Heck, even cars have dock connectors.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

This.