TomTom GPS Coming to Iphone OS 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tunnelrunner, May 9, 2009.

1. Aurial macrumors 6502

Whether it does relate to TomTom or not, it's very likely they will release a version of Navigator for the iPhone. The only reason they stopped producing it for Symbian was because of piracy, and Apple has that pretty much locked down. I expect it to cost about £90 - £100 so it could well be in the premium section of the App Store if those rumours were true.

2. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. They will probably charge a monthly fee as well...which IINM, most, if not all, the "big name" GPS players do. Hey, $10 USD is a fair monthly price, IMO.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If it functions as well as a stand-alone GPS unit, I would have no problem paying $10/mo.

This is, of course, if I didn't already have a GPS device.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I hope that all the major GPS companies come out with an App. I really think most of them will. I think the market is wide open and with 3.0 they can use external antennas if they want to improve reception. My opinion is that they will not need to for driving but if you are hiking or something and want to keep you iPhone in a bag or pocket the antenna would work well.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Pretty sure monthly fees are only for live traffic feeds. It costs GPS manufacturers exactly nothing to keep their units running month to month.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'd rather they just come up with a way where an iPhone can be used to send traffic updates to GPS units. When we upgraded to the iPhone we lost all traffic info on our TomTom because of Apple's policy of no data allowed to be sent over bluetooth. Shame.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    So... a "technology company" in Amsterdam is seeking someone to write an iPhone LBS app, and they jump to the conclusion that it's TomTom?

Isn't that like seeing an ad for the same in New York City and thinking it means Google?

Especially with the: Duration: 6 months initially

TomTom would be more likely to hire permanently, I would think. Maybe not.

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

Well, they could easily charge £60 - £90 for the software, then in-app buying of city guides, subscription to the data-based traffic, in-app updates of maps.... it would suit them to the ground...

Personally can't wait till iPhone 3.0 (os + hw) .. gonna see some really interesting platform developments ... Garmin etc must now be getting very worried

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

If this is indeed true, does it mean Tom Tom is just starting on a GPS device??

10. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

GPS Round Up So Far...

With 3.0 coming out this summer, I'm expecting (hoping) that we're going to start to see some serious fireworks in the upcoming "Iphone GPS Wars" among the big players in the GPS/Navigation market.

Here's what we know so far re: the Iphone GPS Arms-Race:

1) XRoad's G-Map East/West: Version 1.3. Not counting the iphone's native app Google Maps, G-Map is currently the closest (and only) thing to true turn-by-turn GPS the iphone has (legally that is...if you jailbreak your iphone, there's XGPS). Yes, it's severely flawed but as many of you know by now, G-Map is going to be getting a MAJOR upgrade this summer when 3.0 hits. This video by the Tap Critic has been circulating throughout the net for a couple of months now...hopefully, we'll get more sneak-peeks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwfnMZmrs4

2) Garmin: IMO, out of such a fine crop of GPS players, Garmin is still the King. However, there's been no official or rumored word yet (that I know of) that Garmin will be releasing an app for the iphone. That doesn't mean that Garmin isn't keeping the lid on a top-secret iphone app ready for when 3.0 launches...but I'm not sure Garmin would want to release their software on the iphone only to see it compete with the less-popular/less well known Nuvi phone.

3) Magellan: At last count, no word/news on a Magellan app for the iphone. Like Garmin, if they are cooking one up, they're doing a fine job of keeping it secret.

4) TomTom: See the original post in this thread. Keep your fingers and toes crossed...hopefully we will *finally* see the long-awaited/often delayed TomTom GPS app for the iphone.

5) Sygic: A Eurobased GPS/Nav. company who specializes in making mobile GPS apps for phones. The last time I e-mailed these guys, they replied that they were still reviewing Apple's new SDK and were also awaiting approval from Apple. That was just around the time of 3.0 being announced in March. So there may be a good chance that Sygic will be among the first GPS apps to arrive this summer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyRly9fQi0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAF94LAcojY&feature=related

6) Nav'N'Go/Gomite: Going back to last year, these folks were rumored to be working on their own iphone app. Youtube has many video demonstrations of them. Personally, I'm not too impressed with what I've seen...also, IINM, they require an external little piece of hardware (a receiver) that you would have to plug into your iphone for it work. It may sound kind of silly, but that's a bit of a deal-breaker for me; I don't want to have to carry 2 devices around when the other GPS players will put the software all in the iphone.

7) Telenav: Right behind Garmin, this is the one GPS/Nav. app. that I most hope to see in the App. Store come June. Telenav and the iphone are a match made in Heaven. Telenav has made top-notch mobile GPS apps for phones for years and the iphone is the most popular smartphone in the world. PERFECT. This was the last official word from Telenav re: 3.0: http://blog.telenav.com/blog/2009/03/the-iphone-30-os-and-what-it-means-for-telenav/
    They're keeping mum on any news related to the iphone. On a March 17th tweet on Twitter, they stated that it was "too fresh to give any @telenav updates but we look forward to reviewing the SDK." IMO, smart money says that Telenav and Sygic will be the next GPS apps to arrive for the iphone for 3.0.

So to recap, here's how it looks:

-GARMIN AND MAGELLAN: We probably won't be seeing any iphone apps any time soon. I wouldn't say NEVER...but just not anytime soon.

-TOMTOM: Possibly...hopefully...

-NAV'N'GO/GO-MITE: Again, probably not any time soon...

-TELENAV AND SYGIC: I'm most hopeful for these 2 coming out very soon. IMO, they're the 2 most likely GPS apps to show up this summer after G-Map.

-Another GPS player we haven't accounted for yet....?

So as of this writing, that leaves G-Map as the *first* true GPS/Navigation App with turn-by-turn voice directions to show up for iphone OS 3.0. Obviously, we all know that that is going to change soon. G-Map's competition is going to get fierce once the big guns in the GPS Market start showing up. G-Map knows it too; they've definitely brought their A-Game (check out the Tap-Critic's video). G-Map also has the advantage in that they're the FIRST ones to the game and they (at present) don't charge a monthly fee for OTA use. That could change of course. But for now, "first blood" in the iphone GPS Wars goes to G-Map.

11. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I think the answer would be yes. But they still have a month to go so there's still time! :D

12. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

Sygic Europe

In keeping with the theme of the "GPS round-up" (the other players), this youtube video was released fairly recently with Sygic demonstrating their TBT voice nav. app for the iphone (European version). Hopefully, the English version will come to the US/Canada soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgquFNunV4&feature=related&pos=0

Speaking of which, I cannot wait for G-Map to finally start speaking voice turn by turn directions this month (if not this week). :)

EDIT: It was just pointed out to me that re: the Sygic video, it's not just exclusively for 3.0 -- it's also out for 2.0 jail-break. Still good news for those of us who haven't jail-broken their iphones.

13. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

14. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

Telenav Responds!

First off, great news today re: 3.0 and the new 3GS.

And of course, pertaining to this thread, REALLY great news about the upcoming TomTom app! Like every other GPS geek, I've been nerding out about this for the past 7-8 hours or so since it was announced.

And in related news, from the Twitter feeds, Mary Beth Lowell (spokesperson for Telenav) posted a response to today's news:

http://blog.telenav.com/blog/2009/06/telenav-iphone-update/

I'm hopeful that the "update" that is coming soon will be the announcement of the long-awaited Telenav GPS app for the iPhone...

15. Tunnelrunner thread starter macrumors regular

Navigon Responds!

As predicted, the iPhone GPS Wars are heating up. As soon as TomTom announced their iphone app yesterday, Telenav made a public response (albeit basically tight-lipped) with another "announcement about the iphone" to follow in the very near future. Now today, another GPS manufacturer Navigon responds to the TomTom news with their own GPS apps:

http://www.appscout.com/2009/06/gps_war_on_the_iphone.php
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/06/09/navigon.iphone.gps.app/
    http://www.iphonebuzz.com/navigon-to-launch-another-iphone-os-30s-pnd-097564.php
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3g98zE4DE

So here's the count so far for *confirmed* GPS apps to appear in the App Store this summer: 1) TomTom, 2) G-Map East/West, 3) Navigon. The next 2 apps to appear? IMO, most likely Telenav and Sygic.

Kinda disappointed (but not surprised) that Garmin isn't jumping on board...they're not going to compete against their own Nuviphone. *If* it's true that Garmin's not ever going to come to the iphone, it's their loss; I think they'll look back at this moment (years from now) and realize they BLEW a great opportunity that TomTom and the others were smart enough to jump on. Of course, if Garmin is secretly developing an iphone app as we speak (big if), scratch what I just said. :)

This is getting good. We went from no TBT voice GPS apps to 3 confirmed already.