TomTom + GPS Signal + Network, please HELP!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rainynight33, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rainynight33 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have the TomTom GPS app.
    The app is supposed to work without a network connection because it has all the maps already right? My iPhone 3GS's location service is on. Airplane mode is on, and Wifi is off, blue tooth is off.
    When it tries to find a GPS signal, it keeps saying ''waiting for GPS signal'' I let it stay like that for over 5-8 minutes and still no signal.
    But when I turn on wifi and connects to my home wifi, it gets a gps signal.
    and also when I turn on airplane mode and get my carrier's signal, the GPS signal appears also.
    i have tried getting GPS signal from within my house, streets, away from tall buildings, hill tops, parks, everywhere.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?
    I thought TomTom GPS do not require network connection??
    please help.

2. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I'm pretty sure that airplane mode nukes the GPS receiver. I may be wrong on that, but I think that if you turn your airplane mode off, and go to an area that doesn't have cell service, you will find that your Tom Tom still works fine.

3. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

you may not need the internet or gps for the maps, but you do need it to find your location. airplane mode turns off internet and gps. thats why the people with iPod touches are stupid for buying the app

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

One way to test would be pull your sim card and turn off wifi. It should still work. This way GPS stays activated.

As for blancobronco you don't need internet. You just need the GPS receiver turned on.

5. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

i know, i wasnt clear. i was saying what airplane mode turns off, and i just meant that turning on airplane mode will turn gps off, which you need to use the app

6. rainynight33 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i have already tried taking out the sim card, and then airplane mode off, location on, still no gps signal...

anyone else got any other ideas?

7. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

try reseting it. that usually fixes most problems

8. rainynight33 thread starter macrumors newbie

reset the network connection? ive done that before, but still doesnt fix it.
    anyone else having this problem with tomtom app?

9. rainynight33 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i fixed it, yeah the airplane mode off fixed it. i just had to wait longer without the sim card. thanks everyone.

10. cornermount macrumors newbie

Hi rainnight33,
    Great it is working in your case. What have you done exactly? How do you reset an network? I activated the airplane mode, activated the GPS, shutdown the iphone 4, took out the sim card, started the iphone again, started the TomTom app, waited for around 10 minutes outside for the GPS signal,
    but it does not work.

Help please - thanks

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Yes, it does take quite a bit longer, since it needs to wait for data from the satellites before it can get a lock. This particular data is only sent out every so often, and not constantly.

Some stand-alone devices get faster locks by pre-loading this data for the next X days, meaning as long as your clock is accurate enough it can use the pre-loaded data to get a faster lock.

Cell phones, since they have a data connection, get something similar to this data from the cellular network instead (aGPS) which lets them get the satellite lock faster. Without the network, it has to wait for the satellite data over the GPS antenna which can be quite slow.

EDIT: The reason Airplane Mode disables GPS is that in many cases, you talk to the GPS through the cellular modem these days. Airplane mode disables the modem, which leaves the CPU with no path to get the GPS data.

12. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Whenever I use a GPS app (TomTom Europe or Google Maps) I turn on celular data and 3G, nothing else and I get signal all the way to my destination. You need to turn off airplane mode because that will block all data from being used and thus you won't have any signal.(If I'm wrong someone correct me)

Hope this helps ;)