Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infoman

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I bought TomTom when it FINALLY came out, mostly disapointed but since I already paid the $99, glad to see an update!

Still waiting to see the dock in person though.

Dock works good and has additional benefits over the bare iphone , looks good too. Wish the price was lower, but that goes for everything I buy. Life's too short to make the price an issue, I am enjoying the purchase.

Cov

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
question

does anyone know if the navigon app will access the secondary gps chip in tomtom's car mount? i really want the nav app, but i need to use it in some remote places where i think the secondary chip would be really useful. i can't find anything anywhere that says one way or another if the other apps access it. i understand that tomtom didn't lock it to their app. can anyone help me?

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
does anyone know if the navigon app will access the secondary gps chip in tomtom's car mount? i really want the nav app, but i need to use it in some remote places where i think the secondary chip would be really useful. i can't find anything anywhere that says one way or another if the other apps access it. i understand that tomtom didn't lock it to their app. can anyone help me?

I have the TomTom car dock and use it with Navigon app. The combo works perfectly aka just like with TomTom app so you get the advantages of the dock GPS chip, speaker, mic etc.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I have the TomTom car dock and use it with Navigon app. The combo works perfectly aka just like with TomTom app so you get the advantages of the dock GPS chip, speaker, mic etc.
I think that would be contrary to what TomTom is saying. How do you know that the Navigon app is using the GPS in the TomTom car dock? If it wasn't the Navigon app would still function as normal using the GPS in the iPhone. Thus, how do you know which GPS chip it is using?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think that would be contrary to what TomTom is saying. How do you know that the Navigon app is using the GPS in the TomTom car dock? If it wasn't the Navigon app would still function as normal using the GPS in the iPhone. Thus, how do you know which GPS chip it is using?

Does airplane mode kill the internal GPS? THat'd work to test presumably.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Does airplane mode kill the internal GPS? THat'd work to test presumably.
Well, there are rumors that the GPS in the TomTom communicates over Bluetooth, so airplane mode would also turn off Bluetooth. In any case, I just tried Motion X GPS and it appears that my iPhone 3GS's GPS is turned OFF when you go into airplane mode. The compass, however, continues to work.

woodysjh

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009

I have the the Tom Tom App and car dock, you can tell because the navigation is way more accurate than without the car dock.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
fpnc said:
I have the the Tom Tom App and car dock, you can tell because the navigation is way more accurate than without the car dock.
Someone said that it also worked with the Navigon app which is what needs some form of definite confirmation. Furthermore, unless you were using a window mount with your iPhone before you got the TomTom car kit it could be that any perceived improvements might be caused by the better location for the GPS. Point of fact, I noticed a pretty significant improvement when I moved my iPhone to a window mount whereas before my iPhone was located further down on my car's dashboard.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Guys, its a fact that any application can use the car docks GPS chip. You can verify this with the free TomTom car dock app. Also even the TomTom manual says you can use the kit with other apps. I'm 100% sure any iPhone app can use the car dock GPS, in matter of fact they don't have an option of not using it if the phone is connected to the dock.

When you use the dock you actually turn off the iPhone internal GPS chip and the coordinates are fed from car dock chip. The external GPS coordinates are delivered the same way for the apps as the internal GPS so apps don't need to recognize the dock.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
If you don't believe you can use TomTom car dock with any app then check out YouTube (search TomTom car kit and Navigon). You can also check out iTunes app store and the free TomTom car kit app.

It even works with original iPhone (silver back) and Navigon app. The original iPhone didn't have GPS...

tknelson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Guys, its a fact that any application can use the car docks GPS chip. You can verify this with the free TomTom car dock app. Also even the TomTom manual says you can use the kit with other apps. I'm 100% sure any iPhone app can use the car dock GPS, in matter of fact they don't have an option of not using it if the phone is connected to the dock.

When you use the dock you actually turn off the iPhone internal GPS chip and the coordinates are fed from car dock chip. The external GPS coordinates are delivered the same way for the apps as the internal GPS so apps don't need to recognize the dock.

100% eh? I hope you don't like Vegas. Can you share with us the source of your detailed engineering knowledge of how the SirfStarIII signal is fed through Bluetooth to the iPhone in such a way as to override the GPS signal arriving on the internal bus?

I think you are going to turn out to be wrong about this. Any application can != every application does. I'm guessing Navigon will need to come out with an update to support the external Bluetooth GPS signal.

tknelson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
If you don't believe you can use TomTom car dock with any app then check out YouTube (search TomTom car kit and Navigon). You can also check out iTunes app store and the free TomTom car kit app.

It even works with original iPhone (silver back) and Navigon app. The original iPhone didn't have GPS...

Yes... but it still could locate you via wifi triangulation to within 20 meters or so.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I'm repeating my self but even TomTom's user guide says you don't need the TomTom navigation software to use the car kit. Even more so you obviously didn't see the video with iPhone (silver back) with nav kit vs. iPhone 3G both running Navigon. The original iPhone was more accurate then 3G. I'm not sure if you understand the fact that Navigon doesn't allow you to do any navigation without GPS satellite lock. Therefore, the GPS signal is delivered by the car kit on original iPhone since it doesn't have built in chip. Hence, I win you loose... ;)

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
100% eh? I hope you don't like Vegas. Can you share with us the source of your detailed engineering knowledge of how the SirfStarIII signal is fed through Bluetooth to the iPhone in such a way as to override the GPS signal arriving on the internal bus?

I think you are going to turn out to be wrong about this. Any application can != every application does. I'm guessing Navigon will need to come out with an update to support the external Bluetooth GPS signal.

It's not necessarily a matter of the "internal bus." The real news here is that the iPhone is apparently supporting a Bluetooth GPS connection, something heretofore available only on jailbroken iPhones, AFAIK.

If the iPhone is really supporting Bluetooth GPS, it's no stretch to imagine that it does it transparently, so that any app using Core Location would get position data based on the connected GPS rather than the internal one. TomTom's presence at the WWDC suggests that Apple may have provided the hooks to allow the TomTom unit to supply location for Core Location.

tstreete

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009

He's right. I have a TomTom car kit; if you run, say, Motion X GPS-LTE and set it to the status screen, you get at best a 75 foot accuracy, even when outdoors under the open sky, and a 30-50 foot accuracy when the iphone is plugged into the car kit.

The car kit's gps does not communicate over bluetooth; that's just the audio. The kit's gps communicates over the dock connector.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
He's right. I have a TomTom car kit; if you run, say, Motion X GPS-LTE and set it to the status screen, you get at best a 75 foot accuracy, even when outdoors under the open sky, and a 30-50 foot accuracy when the iphone is plugged into the car kit.

The car kit's gps does not communicate over bluetooth; that's just the audio. The kit's gps communicates over the dock connector.

Its true that car kit is using dock connector for GPS chip communication. Anyone can easily verify this by turning off the BT and connecting to car kit and after that verifying the data with TomTom car kit app. However, BT connection wasn't the real issue here. TKNELSON claimed that only TomTom navigation app can use the info delivered by car kits GPS chip which isn't true. As JonB3Z suggested it is likely that Apple has supplied TomTom (and now it seems Magellan) hooks to Core Location services and therefore the GPS data from external chip is handled by OS which allows any Core Location aware app to use the data.

j.donald

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
cool

turn-by-turn GPS navigation application for the iPhone with several highly-anticipated features, including text-to-speech !!

totally cool thing ! but what about the pricing, is it going to be a value for money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.