TomTom IQ Routes Versus Navigon MyRoutes

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by anthrovisual, Nov 28, 2010.

?

Which is the better feature for day-to-day navigation?

1. TomTom's IQ Routes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Navigon's MyRoutes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No Comparison/Apples to Oranges

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

Trying to decide which one I want to invest in and these two features seem to be the largest difference between the two that needs clarifying.

IQ Routes seems pretty clear actually:
    "Only TomTom uses actual speed data collected from millions of users to calculate the fastest routes at any point in time. Imagine a route that takes into account rush hour, traffic lights, zebra crossings, school exits or even shopping crowds, every minute of every day."

But I'm less clear on how MyRoutes compares. From what I have read what seems certain is that it determines my driving style and calculates what route matches my style. Yet, my driving style changes depending on where I am driving, where I am going, and whether or not I'm in a hurry.

Basically, in every situation I want the route that is least stressful (i.e. least congested, fewest stops, quickest) which IQ Routes claims to provide. Considering the data MyRoutes is pulling from users, I would expect the same implementation but if my driving style isn't efficient should I expect my route to be inefficient as well?

Which of these two features would you prefer if you had to choose between the two?

2. myMacRumors, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

myMacRumors macrumors regular

Navigon has traffic coverage in Canada.
    TomTom has no traffic coverage in Canada.

Both Navigon and TomTom perform smooth on my iPhone 4. I like the user interface of Navigon. MyRoute 3 colors are Orange=fastest, Green=shortest, Blue=least traffic based on my experiences (you can zoom/pinch on the overlapped colors). Orange or Green route could be the longest to distance based on Traffic Live. I found out by setting "Fast" (not Optimum) under Type of Route is matching those of TomTom.

Navigon's newer version (update fixes, possible new features and/or new maps) will be released by Christmas 2010 per Navigon's Facebook pages.

A very good analysis by comatose81 (note that TomTom traffic is now fixed with latest version 1.5):

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

4. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I saw that post by comatose81, it really lays out how TomTom got a feature that makes perfect sense while Navigon missed an opportunity. It doesn't make sense to me to create routes based on my personal driving experience when I mainly use satnav for going to places I haven't been before. I only need guidance when I'm not familiar with a route or I'm looking for a better route. IQ Routes provides this, maybe not 100% of the time (like when a road goes from historically bad to good for various reasons) but it's there when I need it.

I don't feel like I can rely on MyRoutes for anything except providing choices easier. It's nice, but IQ Routes sounds nicer.

5. navguy macrumors regular

similar to comatose81, i really wanted Navigon to finish first having picked it up early and felt very strong about it during the first year ... but i now use TomTom exclusively for all the reasons mentioned ...

6. myMacRumors macrumors regular

I'm not surprised if Navigon (INRIX traffic provider) will include one of the newer features "XD Traffic" for iPhone by Christmas 2010. Ford Motor Company will adopt "XD Traffic" across all SYNC-equipped vehicles in 2011.